Matthew

Helllo from Hudson County

New here so hi everyone!

I've been lurking around on this forum but never really had the time to sign up till now.

I'm going to be applying to get my NJFID in a couple months and need some help.

I would prefer to post my questions in the appropriate section or in private message so i dont clog up the introduction section.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matthew said:

New here so hi everyone!

I've been lurking around on this forum but never really had the time to sign up till now.

I'm going to be applying to get my NJFID in a couple months and need some help.

I would prefer to post my questions in the appropriate section or in private message so i dont clog up the introduction section.

Welcome and thanks for joining us.

Ask in any of the appropriate sections, we look forward to it... after all, we need a break from "Taylor Ham" and complaining about the draconian gun laws. 

• Like 1

@Matthew - Welcome! Delighted to hear you're getting into the shooting sports. In addition to scouting around for information, I'd suggest you keep an eye on the "events" section - people occasionally arrange shooting events which provide a nice way to put faces to names.

Oh, and pro tip:  @gleninjersey is wise about many things, but NOT about pork products. (It's Taylor Ham). ;)

• Like 1

So im going to be applying in February and so far there's two pieces of paperwork that i know i need. the actual application and the consent to mental health check. What i need to know now is:  I go to the police station file paperwork, get the finger print card, then i set up an appointment to get finger printed with IdentoGo and after that i wait probably for a long time till they feel like approving my application. Am I missing anything? And how much will the finger printing cost? Thanks guys.

also never seen or had pork roll before. where can i find some?

total time it takes will be a while .. depending on the town.  But it seems each county has 1 person processing the mental health checks for the state and hudson county has a lot of population so that is usually the hold up.

I would call the police station to verify not only their specific requirements but also to set an appt to drop off the initial paperwork.  Most PD's only do it on specific days or within specific time frames of the day and most seem to require an appt.

You also want to fill out the forms with a computer, dont fill them in by hand.. most won't accept that.  On both forms for the signing and dating .. do not sign or date either of them... you will do that while in the police station. Not sure if all towns are the same. but my town wants 2 copies of the STS-33 form and a single copy of the SP-66 form.  You will drop those off, show ID, pay the permit fees and they will give you a form that has some info on it for the fingerprints.   go online, with identogo, set your first available appt at your preferred location and go get them done.Those cost i think $68.  You also need your two references... different towns handles this differently .. my town gives me a form for each reference to fill out and it's up to me to go get them to fill it out and return it. Once those are returned, the wait begins.  There is a thread on the forums here that folks from different towns have posted their wait times and experience.  Mine was 84 days.. which seemed like an eternity.  Even though all of this is supposed to be done in 30 days .. seems the average for most towns is 3 to 4 months for the initial FPID. Some smaller more rural areas seem to move quicker.   it also helps if your PD/Police Chief is not anti gun... because sometimes the chief then sits on the permits for a while longer before signing them just in spite it seems.

A little tip .. if you plan on getting any handgun permits, assuming your old enough ... mark that off and get at least 1 WITH your FPID.  There is a similar crazy process for handgun permits.. while not as bad as the initial... still sucks... so its wise to check that off and pay for at least one of those WITH the initial FPID.

Good luck ... and on the subject of Taylor ham .. never had it?   Thats bad parenting, your parents should be ashamed :) ... go to the nearest diner and get a Taylor ham and cheese.. and if you like eggs get a taylor ham, egg and cheese.

the reason i need to wait till February is Im not 18 yet so my issue is i dont have a drivers license. I emailed nj state police about this and they said just type in no license on the application so im planning to use my passport as id. another issue is i need two bills in my name for proof of residency. but i dont pay any sort of bills. im really questioning should i wait to apply because i would love to get a firearm but isnt there a policy that you can only apply once and if youre rejected you must go appeal it in court? im afraid if i get rejected and dont appeal it i will run into bigger problems with trying to get an fid in the future.

thanks

ahh .. yea to make things easier you should wait and get your driver's license first (and of course turn 18) so you have something with your address on it. And not being 21 you can skip the handgun permits part, since you wouldnt be old enough. As far as applying once and getting denied.... im not aware of anything that would keep you from applying again, assuming the denial is not for something serious that would be flat out disqualifying such as a felony record, mental health issues etc.   But if you dont have what's needed to submit everything, ie; proof of residency etc, you wouldnt even get that far as the police department wouldnt submit it without it so it wouldnt be a denial just simply them saying you dont have everything you need.

It's been a long time since I went and got my initial drivers license :) and I know since that we now have this 6 point system for getting renewed and such .. and when i do so I have my DL, Passport and yes I need something else like a bill for another point or two.  I'm not sure what younger folks just getting their DL's today need to prove residency?  Parental unit with a birth certificate in hand?  I have no idea   Anyone know?