runcibleman

NJSP won't rule out door-to-door for banned mags

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/12/11/nj-state-police-refuse-to-rule-out-house-to-house-enforcement-of-high-capacity-magazine-ban/

Now, I don't put much stock in Breitbart News, but assuming this statement by NJSP to them is exactly as they say, that's rather depressing. The majority of gun owners in the state who are uninformed and ignorant could therefore, conceivably, have their homes or vehicles searched on entirely questionable grounds, and forever become felons. 

Good luck to any Fudd who gets caught like that, I doubt they would have the time or money to contest the basis of their accusal and conviction. Sadly the best case would be if it happened to a rich liberal gun owner driving around with his 15 round Beretta mags in the trunk of his convertible Bentley Continental, and then he moves heaven and earth to fight the state. But they'd probably just drop the charges so as to not undermine the specious legality of these fishing expeditions.

• Like 1

This is a sensationalist headline meant for nothing more than page views and fear mongering.  They are basing it on one quote out of a previous comment, which we discussed in another thread.

There is NOTHING there that says they are planning on going door to door.

Of course, the NJSP cannot say they are not going to do something as it is not their call. 

• Like 10

Not buying it but lol....let them try

aside from the obvious legal issues, tack on the inherent danger of someone saying 'fu' and then starts shooting.  It only takes 1 or a group to shoot back before you see more do it.  I don't doubt that many a cop are more worried with retirement, their contract and following orders to ride out their time regardless of right and wrong and could absolutely see cops doing this. 

Let’s be realistic about the enforcement of this going door to door.. 

They would need probable cause for search warrant, approved by the prosecutors office, then signed by a judge.. Then law enforcement has to execute that search warrant.. Executing a search warrant involves multiple officers (safety factor).. Then to search someone’s home can take hours when looking for items.. The time and cost of it would be unimaginable..  

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, MrSurfboard said:

Actually they said they don’t comment on what they do, which is quite different from not ruling it out. 

Not commenting on enforcement strategies is something I would expect any law enforcement agency to do.

As I've said in other threads I think it will be enforced like the 15 Rd magazine law has been enforced for almost 30 years.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Parker said:

I remember when they went door to door collecting all those Marlin M99's/M60's and Winchester 190's/290's. :p

or all those evil M1 Carbines that are reported to be still out there in old times hands....

• Like 2

The New Jersey State Police indicate they may conduct body cavity searches for hidden LCP magazine components in connection with house-to-house enforcement of the state’s “high capacity” magazine ban.

De Tush News contacted New Jersey State Police on Monday to ask how they planned to enforce the newly enacted ban. The basis for the question about house-to-house checks is that Americans always fear Second Amendment prohibitions will lead to knocks on their doors.

The NJ State Police responded: “While we do not discuss enforcement strategies, body cavity searches in connection with house-to-house enforcement would not be out of the question.” “ It is possible that LCP components could be secreted in body cavities  with other goodies and our officers will be equipped with enemas accordingly.”

• Like 3

They *WILL* 'search' a home when there is a domestic and the guns need to be pulled - they WILL 'search' a home when guns need to be pulled for a restraining order - they WILL search a home when a drug issue arises - they WILL search a home in the ruins after a fire to find the cause - etc.

There are many ways a legal search can happen - and not so many ways an illegal search can happen.

Be smart - don't place in jeopardy your right to own firearms in free states over some plastic magazines - especially if you own AR type....  This has been coming for years and if you are only concerned now you have not been paying attention or planning @GRIZ said it in another thread - he bought 10 round magazines for his firearms for pennies on the dollar when the AWB ended.....smart.

I am not going to be chicken little, but this is EXACTLY what we needed - for everyone to *SH*T* pills over what they have and what to do - maybe some will wake up for the REAL fight that is coming - and it is coming.

Zero features - No semi autos - etc. - have a plan - always have a plan.

3 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

Not buying it but lol....let them try

aside from the obvious legal issues, tack on the inherent danger of someone saying 'fu' and then starts shooting.  It only takes 1 or a group to shoot back before you see more do it.  I don't doubt that many a cop are more worried with retirement, their contract and following orders to ride out their time regardless of right and wrong and could absolutely see cops doing this. 

Based on previous instances, nobody is going to say 'fu' and start shooting, after all, that's not what happened when people were having their guns seized in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, photon guy said:

Based on previous instances, nobody is going to say 'fu' and start shooting,

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --

A Harris County Sheriff's deputy and two officers from the Texas Attorney General's Office were shot while serving a felony warrant in northeast Harris County just before 1 p.m.

The law enforcement officers were shot as they approached the home in the 5100 block of Hartwick Road, intending to arrest Daniel Trevino.

The officers were shot as they approached the suspect's door. They returned fire, but it's not known if Trevino was hit.

https://abc13.com/live-1-deputy-2-officers-shot-while-serving-warrant-/4879578/

6 minutes ago, photon guy said:

Based on previous instances, nobody is going to say 'fu' and start shooting, after all, that's not what happened when people were having their guns seized in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

huh????   you may want to check your facts

I am 100% sure people would stand up for what they believe in, even if it means fighting back, even if they knew they would lose. 

That's kinda like the definition of a martyr, and it doesn't take many to prove point when casualties start hitting the news.

Remember, the government folded during the Bundy stand-off when a very small group organized.

I don't see anyone looking for trouble, but when it comes knock'n.....

5 minutes ago, photon guy said:

I wish people wouldn't meekly turn over their guns if and when the police conduct a door to door seizure, but explain Katrina. 

not all did at Katrina, that is common knowledge.

the one that is troubling is when those kids blew up the bomb on Patriots Day and those spineless cucks let the LE etc just traipse through their houses with warrantless searches!  I'd of said get lost, I can check my own home

SFL Dealers

The New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit has received numerous inquiries regarding the newly enacted legislation limiting ammunition magazine capacity to ten rounds, N.J.S. 2C:39-17, enacted in June of2018. The law immediately restrictedthe sale of magazines in excess of tenrounds and provided a six month grace period for individuals that already own magazines over the new limit of ten  rounds. This grace period was intended to allow New Jersey residents the time to permanently modify themagazines to only accept ten rounds,turn them over to a State Firearms Licensed (SFL) dealer for sale ormodification, turn the magazines into their local police department fordestruction or simply destroy them byother means. Effective December 10,2018 this grace period ends and anyone in possession of a "Large Capacity Ammunition  Magazine" may be subject to criminal prosecution. .

N.J.S. 2C:39-17 provides certain exemptions for who may possess a largecapacity ammunition magazine. As anSFL, any magazines that exceed tenrounds must be logged into your largecapacity magazine ledger or if in combination with a firearm, in your assault weapons ledger. This magazineledger is designed similarly to an A&D ledger and captures the ammunition magazine in your inventory as well asthe disposition of where it went.These magazines may be sold out of state, to other SFL dealers, law enforcement agencies/officers on letterhead from the police department andin limited circumstances to a retiredpolice officer. In order to comply withthe law, a retired law enforcementofficer may purchase or acquire ahandgun / magazine with a capacity ofup to fifteen rounds from a SFL dealeras long as they are capable of beingused in a handgun they intend to qualify with and carry under the New Jersey Retired Law Enforcement Officer Permit to Carry a Handgun (RPO) program. To document thetransaction, indicate in your large capacity magazine/assault weapons ledger who you sold the magazine/firearm to and retain acopy of their retired law enforcementcredentials for regulatory compliance.

If you have any further questions, please contact a Detective in the New Jersey State Police Firearms Investigation Unit at 609-882-2000, ext.2060.

DSG. Chuck Bogdan #6545

3 hours ago, Lakota said:

The lazy ass girl scouts won't even go door to door to sell their cookies anymore... the cops certainly are not going to do it either

so what you're saying is don't carry magazines greater than 10 rounds with you to wal mart, they might be there checking?