Teky0101

NJ Legal Stock?

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 590a1 shotgun and wanted to change out the stock to a FAB Defense Tactical stock.  However, I am not sure if it would be legal since this stock both collapses and folds to the side of the firearm. Thank you for any advice you could provide.

Here is a link to the stock:

https://www.fab-defenseus.com/online-store-1/Tactical-Folding-Buttstock-w-Cheek-Piece-for-Remington-870-Mossberg-500-p115834607

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a 590a1 shotgun and wanted to change out the stock to a FAB Defense Tactical stock.  However, I am not sure if it would be legal since this stock both collapses and folds to the side of the firearm. Thank you for any advice you could provide.
Here is a link to the stock:
https://www.fab-defenseus.com/online-store-1/Tactical-Folding-Buttstock-w-Cheek-Piece-for-Remington-870-Mossberg-500-p115834607

Im not a lawyer, so don't quote me but pump and not semi auto means good to go?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Semi-autos are applicable to the “assault weapon” legislation. All semi-auto shotguns, and then semi-auto pistols and rifles with a detachable magazine, must follow that legislation.

Pumps are good to go with whatever “evil feature” you want. Just like you could put a flash hider, folding stock, and pistol grip all on a bolt action... and still be good.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2018 at 3:56 PM, Screwball said:

Pumps are good to go with whatever “evil feature” you want. Just like you could put a flash hider, folding stock, and pistol grip all on a bolt action... and still be good.

This

@Teky0101, I would suggest NOT "upgrading" to the stock you linked.  The Magpul or Hogue stocks are the best upgrades to any Mossberg shotgun.  BUT, to each his own.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2018 at 7:43 PM, Ray Ray said:

This

@Teky0101, I would suggest NOT "upgrading" to the stock you linked.  The Magpul or Hogue stocks are the best upgrades to any Mossberg shotgun.  BUT, to each his own.

X2

the Magpul stock is really good.. I have it on my 1301.. 

On 12/15/2018 at 8:01 AM, DirtyDigz said:

That folding/adjustable stock is legal on a pump.

I have a very similar one (same manufacturer, slightly older model but mine also has recoil buffer built in) for an 870 that I’m not using if you’d be interested in a used one.

Thank you for the response. I am curious what did you think of the stock? Was it a quality product? I also appreciate the offer on the stock but I currently do not own an 870.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I am curious why do  you not recommend upgrading to that stock? I seems to be a quality product and I really like that it folds. My brother has a 590 with the magpul furniture and its certainly is a quality product. I just wanted a trimmer package since the magpul stocks are large.

4 minutes ago, Teky0101 said:

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I am curious why do  you not recommend upgrading to that stock? I seems to be a quality product and I really like that it folds. My brother has a 590 with the magpul furniture and its certainly is a quality product. I just wanted a trimmer package since the magpul stocks are large.

You're welcome for the feedback.  5 reasons why sir. 

1.  You can not operate the safety easily with a shotgun stock on a Mossberg due to the safeties location.

2.  The check riser will smack you in the face.  It will become uncomfortable after a while and you will hate it eventually. 

3.  Pistol grips hurt.  They hurt if you shoot it folded.  5 rounds and your finished.  But even if you shoulder the shotgun, the constant recoil into the web of your thumb will get numb.

4.  Folding stocks suck.  You are not tucking the shotgun under a raincoat.  Also, the mechanism that locks and unlocks the stock will loosen.  Another part that could break is not needed on a defensive firearm. 

5.  Recoil pads are lacking.  The Magpul and Hogue stocks have great recoil pads.  Even the OEM furniture has a decent one.  Shooting that setup will wear out your shoulder.

Good luck

2 hours ago, Teky0101 said:

the more important question is what are you trying to get out of the stock.. you "like that it folds"... why exactly? I have a folding stock on one of my shotguns.. but the platform lends to having a folding stock since it is a mag fed AK pattern shotgun.. 

I found that I was faster reloading on a non pistol grip shotgun also.. 

I have had numerous stock setups.. and for a traditional shotgun.. I think the Magpul is where its at.. 

20 hours ago, Teky0101 said:

Thank you for the response. I am curious what did you think of the stock? Was it a quality product? I also appreciate the offer on the stock but I currently do not own an 870.

Ahh, I missed that you were looking for a Mossy.

I like the FAB defense folding/adjustable stock - lockup was solid, never had any issues with the cheek rest and the recoil damper was decent. Unlike RayRay's dainty paws, I didn't have any discomfort issues with the pistol grip when firing with the stock folded or unfolded.

However I decided that I wanted a receiver-mounted shotshell holder more than I wanted a folding stock in my HD shotty, so I got a magpul fixed instead.  Was saving the folding stock in case I came across a cheap 870 so I could have a "truck" shotty, just haven't come across the right deal yet.

• Disagree 1