checko

My friend wants to get into long range shooting. Want suggestions.

2 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

I'm building a 6.5cm for this as we speak. 

I didn't know we had a 800 yard range in NJ????

Doesn’t look like the range above is located in NJ — looks like new holland, PA

there also looks to be a pretty substantial waiting list for membership

If any of you guys are interested in PRS matches the closest option is the Mason Dixon Precision Rifle Series. We shoot 1 day club matches at 3 different ranges throughout the year, New Holland (700y max) in Gap, PA, University Rifle Range (600y max) in Reading, PA, and Mayberry Game Protection (600y max) in Mayberry, MD. Registration opens March 4th for our Amatuers Only match that will be held April 14th at New Holland. Check out our Facebook page MDPRS Facebook for more information or message me if you need any help. My Instagram is tennturk if you want to see some photos and videos of our matches.

878FAF1C-0D4D-4BEA-9BBF-A017BC83B208.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tennturk said:

If any of you guys are interested in PRS matches the closest option is the Mason Dixon Precision Rifle Series. We shoot 1 day club matches at 3 different ranges throughout the year, New Holland (700y max) in Gap, PA, University Rifle Range (600y max) in Reading, PA, and Mayberry Game Protection (600y max) in Mayberry, MD. Registration opens March 4th for our Amatuers Only match that will be held April 14th at New Holland. Check out our Facebook page MDPRS Facebook for more information or message me if you need any help. My Instagram is tennturk if you want to see some photos and videos of our matches.

878FAF1C-0D4D-4BEA-9BBF-A017BC83B208.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this tennturk. 

I've been getting into precision shooting and I have the Mason Dixon series bookmarked on my calendar. I'll definitely be shooting with you this spring. 

I'll message you if I have any questions. 

• Like 1

Let's not forget the ONLY 600yd range in the State of NJ:

Cumberland Riflemen in Millville NJ (Cumberland County)

The 2019 schedule has been approved and we're just waiting for the website (http://www.CumberlandMatches.com) to be updated for the coming season.

This year's dates for MidRange Prone and F-Class matches are:

April 7, May 5, June 2, July 7, Aug 4, Sept 1, and Oct 6

These matches are open to non-members (the front gate on Rt 49 is locked open on match days)

Reservations for a spot on the line are recommended, as we had some sellouts last year.

On 12/12/2018 at 5:22 PM, checko said:

I dont know anything about long range shooting. My friend is a new shooter who wants to buy a rifle and get into long range precision. I talked to him about costs and how difficult it is and he wants to get started.

He is eyeing a ruger precision rifle in 6.5. From what I understand it is a quality rifle and would serve well. Are there any other recommendations around the same price point he should know about?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I know this post is almost a year old but this question comes up alot so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents.

Precision rifle isn't something a new shooter should get into unless they have a superhuman tolerance for frustration. They might spend a lot of money on gear that would be better spent on ammo and shooting.

Any beginner can take a precision rifle, shoot it at a hundred yards, and get good groups. But that rifle at a hundred yards could be masking bad habits that won't show up until you try shooting at 300 to 500 yards. Those are the distances where you can have zero hits on target and maybe no visual feedback. If you have a big enough bank account, you can eventually figure out what you are doing wrong but you will be shooting expensive ammo while doing that.

My advice is to get good glass, get a good rifle chambered in 22lr, feed it good ammo and learn to shoot it out to 100 (or more) yards. If you can read the wind well enough to hit your targets at this distance with such a small bullet you'll be well on your way

Good is going to vary from person to person so you'll have to do your own research. Personally, I would buy my rifle optic first and mate that to a 22lr rig. It won't be overkill and you'll need to become intimately familiar with the reticle and turrets anyway.

The gear is only part of the equation. Learning how maintain natural point of aim, knowledge of ballistics (external and internal), trigger squeeze, breath control, and follow through are basic skills that have to be developed first to some level of proficiency. That will only happen with time actually shooting.

checko, I'd love to hear what your friend decided on and how he's coming along shooting-wise.