FedUpWithNJ

I complied. But they put up a heck of a fight.

As midnight Monday approached, I finally plucked up the courage to do what I had to do.

I pulled my six factory-issued, 15-round Gen 5 Glock 19 magazines from their perch in the gun safe - aka death row (double-entendre intended unless you're the NJSP and then I-don't-know-what-you're-taling-about) - and headed to the garage for the final act. With a heavy heart I attempted to crush the first one in the bench vice. There was some cracking of the plastic shell but it did not yield. The sawzall fared little better: after a minute of frenzied action the blade had penetrated no more than a half-inch into the side of the magazine. Enough to blunt the blade and render the device dangerous, but still sufficiently operable to leave me a felon once the clock ticked past midnight.

With the deadline fast-approaching I needed a faster means of execution. I pulled out the grinder. That did the trick, although the sparks and resistance were what I would have expected from a hardened padlock, not the thin metal of a handgun magazine. Those things are built. After unceremoniously tossing the severed carcasses in the trashcan, I left the garage with the scent of their death pungent in the air, and a new-found respect for their younger 10 round brothers locked and loaded in my bedside safe.

23 minutes ago, Kawi7 said:

Some will probably think you committed sacralege..

I think I committed sacrilege. Not to mention the visceral reaction to my constitutional rights being infringed in the most authoritarian manner possible: a felon unless I destroy my own property. The NJ legislature and judiciary are of the same mindset as the mob: we're going to execute you but before we do, take this shovel and dig your own grave.

I can understand destroying 15 round neutered are mags, 

But why 15 round standard Glock 15? I would have took them for free and blocked them at 4 bucks a piece... 

Not to mention you need better tools if a Glock mag put up a fight agaisnt a sawzall.

• Like 1

I wonder if before you destroyed them (actually I think you are joking as it would be very easy to cut them with a Sawsall) did you open them and see they were probably illegal in NJ even before the law change.  The 15 round Glock mags are really just 17 round mags without the two last inspection holes and with a free floating plastic block in them.  The basepads are not epoxied in place so anyone can open them and remove that block and they are instantly 17 round mags.  I wonder how Glock got away selling them in NJ when if you or I put a free floating block in a 17 round mag we would have been considered felons if we had not epoxied the basepad.

1 minute ago, Howard said:

I wonder if before you destroyed them (actually I think you are joking as it would be very easy to cut them with a Sawsall) did you open them and see they were probably illegal in NJ even before the law change.  The 15 round Glock mags are really just 17 round mags without the two last inspection holes and with a free floating plastic block in them.  The basepads are not epoxied in place so anyone can open them and remove that block and they are instantly 17 round mags.  I wonder how Glock got away selling them in NJ when if you or I put a free floating block in a 17 round mag we would have been considered felons if we had not epoxied the basepad.

Not joking. I can upload pics if you care. They're not easy to cut with a sawzall. I admit it wasn't a fresh blade, but try it. Would have taken quite a while to do all six. I pulled out the grinder as an alternative to swapping out the blade.

I just went and pulled one out of the trash. They don't seem to be blocked 17s - there's no block.

17 minutes ago, Howard said:

Some mags, I’m thinking really Mec-Gar, just press a dimple in and call it reduced capacity.  Vendor intended, yet could be drilled out. 

Lack of objective standard is a real problem.  And just plain stupid anyway since a criminal could easily go to PA or DE and get what they want. 

Balimore is having a high capacity mag buy back...$25/mag, i gave them to a relative and hes turning them in for some cash....10 magazines...$250.....thanks Gov Hogan.....the least NJ could have done was returned the sales tax I gave them for the legal purchase....

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ALAN553 said:

Balimore is having a high capacity mag buy back...$25/mag, i gave them to a relative and hes turning them in for some cash....10 magazines...$250.....thanks Gov Hogan.....the least NJ could have done was returned the sales tax I gave them for the legal purchase....

That’s my biggest issue.  Not that the -5 rounds is particularly palatable or going to do anything in reality, but if that’s what they legislate, it is what it is until we get legal relief.  

But to say that my private property, legally procured and legally owned turns me into a felon on an arbitrary date, with no financial recourse on my property is just absurd. 

Its the reason why I wish (and would donate to) there was some suit against the legislators and governor for financial damages.  I’ve yet to hear that they have civil immunity; perhaps it’s the case, but I’ve not read it explicitly relative to this situation.  

If NJ did a buyback, it would not make it right, but it would make getting 10 rounders more palatable.  

2 hours ago, Howard said:

He said they were Glock 19 magazines not 17.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FedUpWithNJ said:

I pulled my six factory-issued, 15-round Gen 5 Glock 19 magazines from their perch in the gun safe - aka death row (double-entendre intended unless you're the NJSP and then I-don't-know-what-you're-taling-about) - and headed to the garage for the final act.

So sad... for $5. each, you could have made them live and fight another day:

http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/pistols/glock/glock-19-magblock-10-15-9mm.html

58 minutes ago, ALAN553 said:

buyback.jpg

5 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

You need to figure how much you laid out for the 10 round mags.  That's what your time was worth.

Exactly.

Replacing the 6 15s with 10s was around $150 iirc.

Blocking the 6 15s: $30 in blocks + $5 in other materials + about 2 hours labor (guessing) + frustration + risk of screwing one or more up and having to buy 10 rd mags anyway.

45 minutes ago, FedUpWithNJ said:

If you value your time at $0. Not worth it for me.

For the time you spent dicking around with the sawzall and grinder, you could have installed the blockers. What was that time worth, plus the time to type and post this thread of sympathy?

34 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

You need to figure how much you laid out for the 10 round mags.  That's what your time was worth.

Yep, it was a lot more than plastic mag blockers.

27 minutes ago, FedUpWithNJ said:

Blocking the 6 15s: $30 in blocks + $5 in other materials + about 2 hours labor (guessing) + frustration + risk of screwing one or more up and having to buy 10 rd mags anyway.

Seriously, if taking apart a mag and gluing in a block is that difficult for you, I would be seriously concerned with being around you when handling the actual firearm.