FedUpWithNJ

I complied. But they put up a heck of a fight.

21 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

For the time you spent dicking around with the sawzall and grinder, you could have installed the blockers. What was that time worth, plus the time to type and post this thread of sympathy?

Yep, it was a lot more than plastic mag blockers.

Seriously, if taking apart a mag and gluing in a block is that difficult for you, I would be seriously concerned with being around you when handling the actual firearm.

Trust me Sniper22, I won't be extending you any invitations to join me at the range, so no need to worry about being around me when I am handling firearms.

But since you asked, vice -> sawzall -> grinder -> dead mags took all of 5 minutes. And yes, since I have never blocked a mag before, it would have taken considerably longer to collect the materials, tools and research to perform the task properly, and hence not worth my time.

But for a man such as yourself who is an instant expert on all subjects without training or research, I can understand that the calculus may be different. Although that said, instead of wasting your time blocking mags, surely it would be more lucrative for you to be acting the leading role in the latest blockbuster hollywood movie or unifying the fundamental laws of physics instead?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Food for Thought: every time one of these ridiculous new laws get us sniping and snarking at each other, it's a win for the other side. Remember, generally speaking, we on these forums are all on the same side. We might have different approaches, but I think we all recognize the unconstitutional nature of these laws... worse yet, we recognize the utter futility of their stated purpose: they will do NOTHING to reduce crime... or mass shootings... or casualties. Channel your energy outward, not inward would be my (ever so gentle) suggestion!

So, aside from fuming and sniping at each other, what are you all going to DO in 2019? Actually volunteer some hours for the 2A org of your choice? Makes donations? Set yourself a recruiting goal to get new people to the range? I swear, the energy expended on all of these threads - though it does help to clarify ideas and thinking - it could be harnessed so much more effectively!

• Like 9

Perhaps it's a little late now, but for the price of g19pmags, blocking may be the same as buying new when all things considered.. 

I had 15 92 mags to convert and the mag blocks I purchased are plug and play. Took less than a minute to pull apart and reassemble/epoxy.

My AR pmags, I purchased drop in blocks again. But this time I didn't bother with my sealed 15 rounders... I went out and bought new 30's limited to 10 and sealed them accordingly. 

Everything else was transported out of state in a case to a friends PA residence. 

IMO, if the law gets over turned, I can find a way to get back what I had without wasting even more money. 

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Food for Thought: every time one of these ridiculous new laws get us sniping and snarking at each other, it's a win for the other side. Remember, generally speaking, we on these forums are all on the same side. We might have different approaches, but I think we all recognize the unconstitutional nature of these laws... worse yet, we recognize the utter futility of their stated purpose: they will do NOTHING to reduce crime... or mass shootings... or casualties. Channel your energy outward, not inward would be my (ever so gentle) suggestion!

So, aside from fuming and sniping at each other, what are you all going to DO in 2019? Actually volunteer some hours for the 2A org of your choice? Makes donations? Set yourself a recruiting goal to get new people to the range? I swear, the energy expended on all of these threads - though it does help to clarify ideas and thinking - it could be harnessed so much more effectively!

It's frustrating.... 

I think we need to reassess our attitudes, my own including, to some of the newer posters here. No doubt the forum will get some increased traffic from people looking for information.

• Like 1

The least you could have done for your gun friends is to take all your mags to the police department and ask for a receipt.One at one time. Just to make their life a bit more complicated.

It looks like most gun owners in NJ would be under British rule if were borned back then.

Congrats for your compliance with the law.

7 minutes ago, Peter Goldwing said:

The least you could have done for your gun friends is to take all your mags to the police department and ask for a receipt.One at one time. Just to make their life a bit more complicated.

It looks like most gun owners in NJ would be under British rule if were borned back then.

easy to say when you are in FL and not facing a felony charge if you are god forbid the unlucky test case. For me personally, I am not willing to sacrifice my family and carrier for 15 round mags. That is my opion, if your opinion is different, so be it. You do what you want, I will do what is best for me.

14 minutes ago, Peter Goldwing said:

1. I know my local police chief personally, so why would I engage in a dickish move like that? He doesn't agree with the ban any more than I do.
  2. There actually wasn't an easy way to turn them in, otherwise I would have taken that route. You were required to notify your local police chief in writing, and find a mutually agreeable date and time on which to hand them over, all in advance.
  3. Easy for you to advocate non-compliance. A conviction means loss of the right to own firearms everywhere forever, not to mention loss of livelihood in my case.

37 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I had 15 92 mags to convert and the mag blocks I purchased are plug and play. Took less than a minute to pull apart and reassemble/epoxy.

Exactly the same for me, but apparently, that's too much work for some people.

1 hour ago, FedUpWithNJ said:

But since you asked, vice -> sawzall -> grinder -> dead mags took all of 5 minutes. And yes, since I have never blocked a mag before, it would have taken considerably longer to collect the materials, tools and research to perform the task properly, and hence not worth my time.

Knowledge is power, it never hurts to learn something new.... you never know... plus it would be great experience for when the time comes to modify them to 5 rounds next year.

40 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

IMO, if the law gets over turned, I can find a way to get back what I had without wasting even more money. 

Wait, are you saying the modified mags aren't "permanent" (what ever that definition might be with the law)?

2 hours ago, FedUpWithNJ said:

But for a man such as yourself who is an instant expert on all subjects without training or research, I can understand that the calculus may be different.

Oh boy...

41 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

It's frustrating.... 

I think we need to reassess our attitudes, my own including, to some of the newer posters here.

True, it's amazing on the knowledge some (think they) have.

38 minutes ago, Peter Goldwing said:

Is it possible they are under Nazi rule now and don't know it?

• Like 1

You think so? A lot of people seemed pissed at those of us who object and would prefer that we just shut up. Sheds some light on how NJ ended up here.

I’m not one to talk, as my magazines are on the opposite side of the Delaware for career reasons, but you did destroy your magazines, right?

Sorry, but how did you object?
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FedUpWithNJ said:

You think so? A lot of people seemed pissed at those of us who object and would prefer that we just shut up. Sheds some light on how NJ ended up here.

Well, listen... try to understand, many gun owners are simply infuriated by these new laws. So, you come along with a well-intended but kind of light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek post with a very compliant attitude... which is ENTIRELY your right, of course, but I think you unwittingly stepped onto a hornet's nest. Let it go! Roll forward. There's a lot of nice people on here... and very knowledgeable and informative. But people are riled up right now... eh, it happens! Don't take it to heart.

And the rest of you... LAY OFF!! There's no need to pile on.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I’m not one to talk, as my magazines are on the opposite side of the Delaware for career reasons, but you did destroy your magazines, right?

Sorry, but how did you object?

Oh, I see. You think compliance is capitulation. Not so my friend. This post was a form of objection. That was the motivation. Read it again. As for other forms of objection - I do my bit to spread the word, donate to the legal fights, raise my kids as strong 2nd amendment defenders, etc. I plan to be more directly involved in future as time permits.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Once again Peel wins the Internet!

To All:

Remember not everyone here has the same knowledge & experience as you might have

At the end of the day, when all of the Boyz get done chest thumpin' and pissin' & moanin', there's still work to be done.

Work like:

I'm helping raise $10 GRAND for the Cheeseman-Jillard lawsuit!  https://www.cnjfo.com/page-18139 

I'm running my club's Police Practical Competition tomorrow night (open to all, even non-members).

I'm teaching Boy Scouts how to clean their scatterguns on Saturday.

I'll be mentoring at the range on Sunday.  Get more folks shooting, hunting, collecting, etc.!  It's a numbers game!

Now what exactly are YOU (the assembled readership on this thread) gonna do with all of that pent-up ENERGY?

I'm gonna go fry some Hog Hunt sausage in EVOO & make home made gravy.  I have a waistline to keep well-fed :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FedUpWithNJ said:

Oh, I see. You think compliance is capitulation. Not so my friend. This post was a form of objection. That was the motivation. Read it again. As for other forms of objection - I do my bit to spread the word, donate to the legal fights, raise my kids as strong 2nd amendment defenders, etc. I plan to be more directly involved in future as time permits.

I think you are completely misreading the responses here. No one is chastising you for complying. Most here have complied as well. The question was simply why destroy rather then modify or sell out of state?

2 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

who's piling on? I think most people here are just trying to understand the reasoning for destroying perfectly good magazines instead of modifying, selling, or sending to a friend. By destroying these magazines we play to what the dems want.

I’ll add. It’s just at its start with the courts.

a deposit box in pa would have been wiser.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

who's piling on? I think most people here are just trying to understand the reasoning for destroying perfectly good magazines instead of modifying, selling, or sending to a friend. By destroying these magazines we play to what the dems want.

I already explained modifying - time. Selling - same: not worth my time. The money is not the issue. I had already bought replacement 10 round mags when the law passed. And I do not have an out-of-state friend to send to. I moved to the US as an adult for work and stayed for the freedom.

Look, I am under no illusions as to the irrelevance of a forum post, but my view in writing this was precisely the opposite of your interpretation. I agree that rusted-on gun grabbers will no doubt be delighted that I destroyed my magazines. But I hope it shows more moderate folks how pointless and invasive laws like this are.

9 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Once again Peel wins the Internet!

To All:

Remember not everyone here has the same knowledge & experience as you might have

At the end of the day, when all of the Boyz get done chest thumpin' and pissin' & moanin', there's still work to be done.

Work like:

I'm helping raise $10 GRAND for the Cheeseman-Jillard lawsuit!  https://www.cnjfo.com/page-18139 

I'm running my club's Police Practical Competition tomorrow night (open to all, even non-members).

I'm teaching Boy Scouts how to clean their scatterguns on Saturday.

I'll be mentoring at the range on Sunday.  Get more folks shooting, hunting, collecting, etc.!  It's a numbers game!

Now what exactly are YOU (the assembled readership on this thread) gonna do with all of that pent-up ENERGY?

I'm gonna go fry some Hog Hunt sausage in EVOO & make home made gravy.  I have a waistline to keep well-fed :) 

The wifey and I will see you tomorrow night Rosie.

And don't worry about that waistline, you will still have plenty there without that Hog Hunt sausage. Bring it to the range instead. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FedUpWithNJ said:

I already explained modifying - time. Selling - same: not worth my time. The money is not the issue. I had already bought replacement 10 round mags when the law passed. And I do not have an out-of-state friend to send to. I moved to the US as an adult for work and stayed for the freedom.

Look, I am under no illusions as to the irrelevance of a forum post, but my view in writing this was precisely the opposite of your interpretation. I agree that rusted-on gun grabbers will no doubt be delighted that I destroyed my magazines. But I hope it shows more moderate folks how pointless and invasive laws like this are.

A couple members here offered to store them for folks free.  For the cost of a flat-rate box you could have saved them, or donated them to someone else that could actually use them.

For anyone late to the party, I live in NH and would happily store them.  If you don't want them stored I'll happily pay for shipping them to me.  Easy to find people here that can use them.  PM's, obviously.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

A couple members here offered to store them for folks free.  For the cost of a flat-rate box you could have saved them, or donated them to someone else that could actually use them.

I don't think my local goodwill would have been too pleased to see me turn up with those :)

But yeah, if I had someone to transfer them to I would have. I had a couple of prospects that were not gun owners but I did not want to ask them to do something they may not have been comfortable doing.

13 hours ago, FedUpWithNJ said:

As midnight Monday approached, I finally plucked up the courage to do what I had to do.

blah,,,blah,,,blah

Listen GD you didn't need to create a new account. I know people gave you a hard time and all--not me, I like you--but there was no need to start over.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FedUpWithNJ said:

I don't think my local goodwill would have been too pleased to see me turn up with those :)

But yeah, if I had someone to transfer them to I would have. I had a couple of prospects that were not gun owners but I did not want to ask them to do something they may not have been comfortable doing.

Translation “ mags are now firearms...”