Indianajonze

Bergen County Prosecutor Says LEOs Not exempt

Bernard B. Kerik (@BernardKerik) tweeted at 2:39 PM on Fri, Dec 14, 2018:
NJ Governor @GovMurphy is endangering the life of every off duty NJ cop! Gang bangers, drug thugs and really bad guys don't give a damn about magazine capacity... So he takes the good guy's ammunition, and the bad guys are loaded for bear! @FoxNews @CNN @newsmax @DLoesch @ABC https://t.co/b40cFsD9bF
(https://twitter.com/BernardKerik/status/1073663755102367744?s=09)

It’s real news.

The Prosecutors Office isn’t making this decision. This is what the new law says.

They are informing the LEOs in their county how the new law affects them and what they can and can not do so they avoid getting themselves jammed up.

Retired cops are limited to 15.

Off duty currently sworn are limited to 10.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, High Exposure said:

It’s real news.

The Prosecutors Office isn’t making this decision. This is what the new law says.

They are informing the LEOs in their county how the new law affects them and what they can and can not do so they avoid getting themselves jammed up.

And...How does this make sense?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Old School said:

lol this is NJ ... are you really questioning the logic behind what NJ does?  Nothing in NJ is logical, its run by gophers and blind midgets (no offense to gophers and blind midgets ) You used to live here didnt you?, you should know better than that :D

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, EngineerJet said:

Got a buddy that's a Newark cop and they were briefed about not carrying their weapons off duty. They were told there is a fix coming. 

How about simple possesion of standard capacity magazines for all of those g19s and g26s that seem so popular with off-duty carry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rojasj said:

Thank you. I thought I was going to get flamed for my statement but as far as I am concerned it's accurate and needed to be stated.

not at all, no flaming as the double standard needs to stop.  Cops are civilians, they are not parmilitary or a special class.  They are public servants, civilians and citizens like the rest of us.  There are great cops, bad cops and mediocre cops; just like every profession on the planet. 

I find it amazing that anyone would claim police should be exempt while the rest of us are not. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Old School said:

It doesn’t ..  

The law that passed:

1[3.    (New section)     Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-6, a law enforcement officer may possess and carry while on duty a large capacity ammunition magazine and possess and carry while off duty a large capacity ammunition magazine which is capable of holding up to 15 rounds of ammunition that can be fed continuously and directly into a semi-automatic firearm.]1

When Christie vetoed the 10 limit law he specifically called out the making of different classes of citizens. I can’t see it being constitutional.

as @Lakota said, the legislature isn’t a bunch of rocket surgeons.... but I see this clerical error as a big erosion of their legitimacy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lakota said:

lol this is NJ ... are you really questioning the logic behind what NJ does?  Nothing in NJ is logical, its run by gophers and blind midgets (no offense to gophers and blind midgets ) You used to live here didnt you?, you should know better than that :D

You're right I should have known better.  Now my Everyday Carry is an AR pistol in 300BO w/ 30 rd mag :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

not at all, no flaming as the double standard needs to stop.  Cops are civilians, they are not parmilitary or a special class.  They are public servants, civilians and citizens like the rest of us.  There are great cops, bad cops and mediocre cops; just like every profession on the planet. 

I find it amazing that anyone would claim police should be exempt while the rest of us are not. 

I don't find it amazing at all that the politicians in NJ would exempt the LE while restricting us. It lets them keep votes.

17 hours ago, High Exposure said:

It’s real news.

only problem I called njsp, they said when I qual, i have to disclose on qual sheet the 15 round mag for the gun im qualifing with, so the new question becomes, what if i carry several different guns, depending on time of year. does that mean I have to qual with every gun i ever intend to carry every time in order to be compliant? I believe the law says 15 rounds for carry gun or intended to carry.

5 minutes ago, 70gto said:

only problem I called njsp, they said when I qual, i have to disclose on qual sheet the 15 round mag for the gun im qualifing with, so the new question becomes, what if i carry several different guns, depending on time of year. does that mean I have to qual with every gun i ever intend to carry every time in order to be compliant? I believe the law says 15 rounds for carry gun or intended to carry.

@GRIZ

5 minutes ago, 70gto said:

With a NJ Retired Police Officer carry permit your only allowed to carry what’s on your qualification sheet..  

22 minutes ago, 70gto said:

16 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@70gto, the answer to that is just to qualify with all your 15rd or less capable handguns everytime you qualify.  That's the only way I can see to keep them all legal.

If anyone has a better answer please share.

11 minutes ago, Kawi7 said:

With a NJ Retired Police Officer carry permit your only allowed to carry what’s on your qualification sheet..  

That's true.  However LEOSA says you can carry any handgun of "the same type of action".  Under LEOSA if you qualify with a semiautomatic and a revolver you're covered.

State law can be more restrictive but not contrary to Federal law.

6 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

@70gto, the answer to that is just to qualify with all your 15rd or less capable handguns everytime you qualify.  That's the only way I can see to keep them all legal.

If anyone has a better answer please share.

That's true.  However LEOSA says you can carry any handgun of "the same type of action".  Under LEOSA if you qualify with a semiautomatic and a revolver you're covered.

State law can be more restrictive but not contrary to Federal law.

At the pd if our off duty guns were similair we wouldnt have to qual with those, say you carry glock 23 and had a 27 for off duty carry, but retired its specific to serial number , every gun you intend to carry, on other news, njsp aknowledges the State Ag wont weigh in or agree with leosha or hr318 which is federal law, you can look it up yourself on NJSP website, they have no opinion nor refuse to give one, which means you roll the dice, and spend 10k for attorney fees and be the test case, which im sure you would ultimately win. Funny they trusted me with hollow point rounds for my career on duty, but now resticted to fmj or hornandy critical defense. I also read this law to not exempt retired leo to be exempt from more than 10 rounds in your rifle either, as there is no need to have one of those if your retired