Screwball

The Real Gun Show Loophole... Colt 1908

Since we had a lot of heroic posting on here as of late, I’m gritting my teeth and doing this post on Safari. Hopefully, you all can take notice of my selfless sacrifice.

But seriously, I was planning on going to Oaks this week. Went today, as I work tomorrow and now have another funeral to go to on Sunday. Originally, I wanted to buy a gun that capt14k put up on MeWe... but seems I’m not too lucky when you put Powerball into the mix. So, walking in looking for either a Makarov or a CZ-52.

Show wasn’t too bad, but for as much good as I saw (fair pricing), there was just as much bad (no reach around). Saw zero Russian or East German Makarovs... actually only one I saw was Polish. Saw one CZ-52... but grips looked like crap. Think it was $375, with extra magazine, holster, and rod. I noted where it was, but didn’t have a reason to go back 

Saw a nice amount of revolvers that interested me, as well as a few Colt 1903s... but still was meh on them all. I’m also very meh on the .32. But being I do like history, and pocket guns... I saw quite a few of another type that would also let me keep some extra cash in my pocket.

iAlXFnA.jpg

pwjUq7s.jpg

Colt 1908... .25, made in 1937. The wood grips really caught my eye. They were all priced between $400 and $500, with a beautiful nickel plated one for $1,050. Got this one for $425... mainly because it was well taken care of mechanically. Shy of character on the slide (likely from carry/sweat), it isn’t bad for an 81 year old gun.

So, I have to admit... NJ sucks! Having the FFL-03 was easier than it used to be doing a private long gun transfer. Talk to the seller, “do you have any issue selling to a FFL-03?” Nope, he is one, as well. Sign a copy of my license, hand to him... he gives me one of his. He writes up a receipt, I pay, we BS for a few... I walk away. No month(s) wait on a pistol permit, no waiting the 30 days between purchases, no coordination of shipping so it arrives at the FFL nearish to the month countdown. Come home, put it in my book... and done. Should have got this thing years ago.

Pulled out the LCP when I was taking the pictures... and wow! Browning really got the jump on Ruger/Kel-Tec by almost a century. Granted, I trust .380 more than .25... but people carried those for years 

ciCCSMH.jpg

N8vJS7y.jpg

In the end, I feel like I beat the man... and his overbite. Was my first C&R purchase on the license, so likely going to be a gun that I keep for some time.

Do feel like a hero, though. This Safari stuff sucks the big one. :80:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I have always wanted a Colt 25 auto.  Damn good find. 

Thanks. The larger one was on my list (actually, was slightly above this), as well... just not .32. Those early Colts are pretty awesome in the design, especially being Browning’s lead up to the 1911.

But the Vest Pocket is just a neat design. It is actually one of the first successful striker fired pistols (need to pull the trigger for takedown, guess Glock shouldn’t get all the bad press for it), and one of the first with those gutter style sights.

Was talking to the guy at the show, and while I saw a handful of them out there, they eventually are going to dry up. If you really want one, I’d recommend doing it sooner rather than later. While it is a gun I doubt I’m going to sell, I actually sent a request to Colt for a letter today. It might not be a great collectible, but I do like to know the history behind it 

Even original magazines are in short supply, and if you want one, $125 to $200. I had the TripleK one pictured, but also came with a two-tone original magazine. Might pick up another TripleK, just for range use.

Only downside is now I got to buy .25. Might not be too big of a deal, but I don’t plan of stocking the same amount as my .380.

My best friend is thinking about going to one of the next shows to get a 6.5mm Remington 700... might set some more money aside and pick up something else off my list. Maybe that guy with the case of Makarovs will be back... or just look for a nice revolver. Decisions...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maksim said:

Was thinking of going to the show but too much going on...

looking for a Russian Mak? Have one in box.... do also have a German mak but that's not going anywhere. :) 

Actually, Russian and East German are the only ones I’m looking for... as they are C&R across the board.

Well, got another TripleK magazine and some Magtech .25 ammo... FFL discount plus the 10%/free shipping coupon at Brownell’s did a good job. Worked out to about $0.27 a round, which is better than .380 pricing. Don’t think I’m going to stock much .25, for obvious reasons.

I ordered the complete Wolff spring kit, with the magazine spring (I’ll probably put that in the Colt magazine, and leave the aftermarket ones alone). Figured I’d swap out all the springs, and keep the originals in a bag... but figure new springs wouldn’t be a bad idea for an 81 year old gun. While I doubt I’ll be shooting it everyday, it will definitely be shot. I’m debating on picking up a holster for it, as I’m not sure if I’d even carry it.

The one thing I did do was file for a Colt letter on this gun. Think it will come out to $75, but they said somewhere in the 90 days or so (will charge my card when the begin research). While it doesn’t likely matter where this gun has been, I figured it would be neat to know where the gun was sold.

7070F406-0A38-4C52-B75F-2BDA1107953E.thumb.jpeg.b9400935830e31a0ab91ca1c22f16397.jpeg

Like with my Winchester gallery gun, figured I’d post the letter for this one...

Not too exciting, but the company is 128 years old. Something different. Might look into it more when I get some downtime.

Hopefully the letter for my 1917 is a little more insightful. Not going to beat the guy on Colt Forum that had a pistol going to Captain Lamb from the NJSP... who was on the pistol team and also involved in the Lindbergh kidnapping investigation. Was even more noteworthy that the pistol is located in Germany now.

• Informative 1