Displaced Texan

The ‘OFFICIAL’ Displaced Texan’s cured meat thread.

1 hour ago, DaddyNick said:

I've used ground meat but family isn't a fan. When I've made snack sticks with venison or beef it had that waxy texture. Same if using jerky gun and laying strips on trays. 

Last few years have only used whole muscle meat. 

Did the ground venison have pork fat mixed in? It's very common to mix in pork fat to make burgers but not so good for making jerkey. 

Along the same lines....I’m making my own lox.....

1lb fresh salmon filets

1/4 cup kosher salt

2 good sized pinches of smoked sea salt

1/4 cup brown sugar (how come you taste SO good?!). 

Fresh dill, if you like. I do. 

I should note, if the salmon has skin on it, leave it on. Believe me, once it’s cured, it will peel right off. 

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Coat both sides of the salmon with the salt cure. Place this on a large piece of plastic wrap. If you have leftover salt cure, pour it on top. Place a sprig or two of dill on top of the salmon. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, place in a covered container in your refrigerator for 2 days. After this, unwrap and wash the salt off. Serve with bagels, cream cheese, and your usual accoutrements. 

You almost can’t screw that up. 

The leftovers can be vacuum bagged and frozen. 

Update on the pork tenderloin...

its down 15% in weight, to 15oz. Another 3 oz to go before it’s ready. Probably another 2 weeks. 

527EE557-6D9B-446A-BA96-9039BD4D50F7.jpeg

6CE9C5E3-8FE1-499B-8D2C-93D7BBDB7C3C.jpeg

FA414424-F838-4BA6-A0F3-9168E308FD46.jpeg

Here’s the lox after it’s been pulled out of the cure and washed. 

It’s a bit salty, I think next time I’ll leave it in the cure for 1.5 days and see how it turns out. Still, delicious. 

It has more ‘chew’ than store bought lox. I like it! We will have this tonight for dinner with some lovely toasted ‘Everything’ bagels, and cream cheese. I encourage y’all to try this!

6DF91930-C577-4293-BC93-A7779005838D.jpeg

• Like 2

Back to the dry cured pork tenderloin....

It looks exactly like it’s supposed to. Sliced it thin, it’s not overly salty. Nice, mellow porky flavor. Delicious!! This would be excellent used in recipes like you would dried beef. Very, very tasty. 

We’ll know in a day or so if I die of botulism poisoning!! Lol! I told Mrs Tex to take it into the emergency room with me, if needed, for evidence!

E85760FD-F7FE-40C9-8E5B-49763FDAC5D3.jpeg

16021DF2-29C3-42E3-AF00-E2388EEB00A5.jpeg

On 6/10/2019 at 12:49 PM, Displaced Texan said:

Here’s the lox after it’s been pulled out of the cure and washed. 

It’s a bit salty, I think next time I’ll leave it in the cure for 1.5 days and see how it turns out. Still, delicious. 

It has more ‘chew’ than store bought lox. I like it! We will have this tonight for dinner with some lovely toasted ‘Everything’ bagels, and cream cheese. I encourage y’all to try this!

6DF91930-C577-4293-BC93-A7779005838D.jpeg

I'd eat that!

43 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Back to the dry cured pork tenderloin....

It looks exactly like it’s supposed to. Sliced it thin, it’s not overly salty. Nice, mellow porky flavor. Delicious!! This would be excellent used in recipes like you would dried beef. Very, very tasty. 

We’ll know in a day or so if I die of botulism poisoning!! Lol! I told Mrs Tex to take it into the emergency room with me, if needed, for evidence!

E85760FD-F7FE-40C9-8E5B-49763FDAC5D3.jpeg

but not this....:crazy:

I’d highly encourage you to try curing your own lox. It really IS easy, and delicious.

The pork is tasty too...but I will admit, it’s not for everyone. I like to try new things, so this was a cool experiment for me. Mrs Tex won’t eat it either!