45Doll

FOUR Bucks Taking A Nap?

I am not a hunter, and I thought that Whitetail bucks tend toward solitary travel except of course during the rut.

The point outside our house is a favorite hangout and pit stop for Whitetails, and trails have been on that land since at least 1984. But this morning I have four bucks and one female napping out there. And these are not kids. The one has an 8-point rack. I've never seen that in the last 26 years we've been here.

Would this be considered a common occurrence?

Just now, 45Doll said:

I am not a hunter, and I thought that Whitetail bucks tend toward solitary travel except of course during the rut.

The point outside our house is a favorite hangout and pit stop for Whitetails, and trails have been on that land since at least 1984. But this morning I have four bucks and one female napping out there. And these are not kids. The one has an 8-point rack. I've never seen that in the last 26 years we've been here.

Would this be considered a common occurrence?

Am not a hunter, but isn't this year particularly bad for Jersey?  Deer population is through the roof IIRC. 

Very cute Sniper. Coincidentally that IS what I have left in my pocket after blowing this years firearms budget!!!

The four bucks got up and were grazing, so I got a much better look at them. One of them is an 10-point rack. These are handsome dudes!

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

We see multiple deer napping out there all the time. It's been that way every year since we moved in. I've just never seen that many adult bucks in one place.

After the “blue wave” swept NJ, deer are now comfortable living a polyamorous lifestyle in the open. Stop judging their choices!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, fishnut said:

Ruts over, they are all buddy's again.  Not uncommon but more usual over the summer months. Unless the doe came into heat again and they were taking a break from fighting all night. 

Yup, too many deer in NJ for normal isolated behaviors to exist.