Sniper

Million Plus NJ Gun Owners Defy State Law, Refuse to Turn Over Banned Gun Mags

16 minutes ago, sota said:

have your shit in a locked container, with an actual lock on it.  No, you may not search my LOCKED container.

Happened to me years back...was driving home from an early morning hunt in a snow squal and a woman skidded into my truck...LE arrived and we had the most respectful cop ever. Knew I obviously had a gun in the truck plus ammo even before I told him...they ended up towing my truck and he said to me, just get your gun, put it in my trunk and I'll give you a ride home....which he did.....nicest guy ever...heard later on he resigned due to politics in the Dept.

• Like 2

@Downtownv

Saw similar article in the Blaze today: https://www.theblaze.com/news/report-new-jerseys-large-capacity-magazine-ban-isnt-going-well

Sounds like LE have no idea on how to enforce other than as an add-on.  I expect Murphy and Grewal will be presenting statistics over the next year or so to show how much gun crime and violence had been reduced as a direct result of the law.

1 hour ago, Downtownv said:

With that in mind, there’s no reason to be surprised that New Jersey residents aren’t flocking to turn in their magazines. Being in prison beats in a coffin any day of the week.

On one hand, I can see his point, on the other hand, not really sure if being in prison for years beats a coffin. Kinda in the same category in my mind.

Let's face the facts. If it were not for this forum, I for one would not even know about the new 10 round limit!

I visit gun shops and my range and I don't see any signs anywhere about a ten round limit. I have not heard anything in the media about it except for links to such found here at NJGF. I would bet that about 10% of affected PRNJ gun owners, (Those who own 10+ round mags), know about the law. The other 90% are Felons and don't even know it!

Of the people here, Some shipped them to a free state, some converted them, Some got a couple 10s for the range and sandbagged the 15s while others will rightfully not comply at all. Not one mention here of giving their mags to their local PD. If any PD did get any, they would take them home and not report or keep track of them, just like ammo that people find and turn in, LEOs keep it for burn ammo at the range.

I seriously doubt anyone here will ever get burned by this stupid law. It will be one of the 90% who never knew about the limit that gets busted!:mad:

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Let's face the facts. If it were not for this forum, I for one would not even know about the new 10 round limit!

I visit gun shops and my range and I don't see any signs anywhere about a ten round limit. I have not heard anything in the media about it except for links to such found here at NJGF. I would bet that about 10% of affected PRNJ gun owners, (Those who own 10+ round mags), know about the law. The other 90% are Felons and don't even know it!

Of the people here, Some shipped them to a free state, some converted them, Some got a couple 10s for the range and sandbagged the 15s while others will rightfully not comply at all. Not one mention here of giving their mags to their local PD. If any PD did get any, they would take them home and not report or keep track of them, just like ammo that people find and turn in, LEOs keep it for burn ammo at the range.

I seriously doubt anyone here will ever get burned by this stupid law. It will be one of the 90% who never knew about the limit that gets busted!:mad:

Cheyenne has one in their air gap . I was at a class at TTC a week or so ago and one gentlemen spoke out he was not aware. ( everyone else was silent... good sign)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Cheyenne has one in their air gap . I was at a class at TTC a week or so ago and one gentlemen spoke out he was not aware. ( everyone else was silent... good sign)

I will still bet the overwhelming majority do not know about the limit yet.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Sniper said:

Not only that, I bet there are 15s going to the range everyday by people who don't know they're felons.

I agree.

I know a couple of older guys who go pistol shooting once or twice a year (they're mainly rifle and shotgun shooters) and they didn't believe me when I told them about the new law.  One guy said, "I went shooting last week with my Glock (15 round magazines) and nobody stopped me".

51 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

Saw that this morning. More to that story for sure. But to answer your question, not well. Also brings the rifle vs pistol argument for hd into play.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 4:58 PM, Zeke said:

Saw that this morning. More to that story for sure. But to answer your question, not well. Also brings the rifle vs pistol argument for hd into play.

Part of NJ's arguement for lower capacity magazines was that self defense incidents usually consist of x amount of rounds fired. Someone on this forum basically agreed with the state and said to the effect, "you're not going to be fighting off the Taliban, it's going to be one crackhead." 5 guys with rifles trying to break into one's home looks like the work of the Taliban to me. :ninja:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Didn't we have the James Bond gang working Somerset, Bergen, Morris counties just to mention a few and the home security vids shown on youtube show at least 4 making entry armed...and how many robbed Florio's parents in a home invasion......trouble doesn't make an appointment and to predict so is a fools game....OMO.

• Agree 1

Million plus my a$$.  I am disgusted with 90% of those that exercise their Constitutional Rights in this state.  if there is a lack of compliance it is because of being uninformed.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

Million plus my a$$.  I am disgusted with 90% of those that exercise their Constitutional Rights in this state.  if there is a lack of compliance it is because of being uninformed.  

Keep in mind the media's role in this.

Those on the left want to say we had major break through on gun control. (passing 10 round laws)

Those on the right, won't pay attention to any logic and scream this out as "gun owners said FU to the state."

The real answer as we know, and so would anyone who actually lives in NJ is that most gun owners simply were not aware of the law unless they were actively going to the range, shopping for a new gun,  are a forum member here, or are on one of the groups' email lists.

So that would be what, 100k?  Tops?  Out of the 1.2 million gun owners in NJ. 

Realistically,  the way to be effective and inform people would be instructing towns to send out letters to registered FID holders and requiring FFLs to add a notice.

Of course, the NJ and National 2A media whores will not be focusing on that. =)

• Like 1

You know it, they know it and grandma knows it, that the intent of these stupid laws is nothing but making "paper" criminals out of law abiding citizens. 

Next time someone gets arrested (and they will) for having banned magazines over 10 rounds, I wonder how many of us will say "too bad, like it or not, the guy did break the law".

3 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

You know it, they know it and grandma knows it, that the intent of these stupid laws is nothing but making "paper" criminals out of law abiding citizens. 

Next time someone gets arrested (and they will) for having banned magazines over 10 rounds, I wonder how many of us will say "too bad, like it or not, the guy did break the law".

I think for the next few years... we will be 100% behind them... especially if they are otherwise law abiding... BUT... brand new gun owners, and those that have either gone to the range or FFL in the past, ought to know it.

There is a difference between a 70 year old retiree who has not purchased a gun in 25 years versus a 30 year old with an FID and Permits on which the ink did not even dry. =)

20 minutes ago, Maksim said:

I think for the next few years... we will be 100% behind them... especially if they are otherwise law abiding... BUT... brand new gun owners, and those that have either gone to the range or FFL in the past, ought to know it.

There is a difference between a 70 year old retiree who has not purchased a gun in 25 years versus a 30 year old with an FID and Permits on which the ink did not even dry. =)

Not in the eyes of the law there isn't.

Well, I think there’s probably one more dynamic in play here, people that just didn’t have any +10 round magazines to get rid of. If you are a 1911 fan or use 45 acp as your main round, a lot (most) of those guns are less than 10 rounds anyway. A lot of 10mm guns are 10 round or less, If you have a small, bedside 9mm a lot of those smaller guns are 6 -10 rounds, if you shoot revolvers or lever action rifles there are no high cap mags to deal with, a lot of hunting rifles are 5 round mags, shotguns are generally not an issue, etc. 

I suspect a lot of the gun owners in NJ only have one or two guns maybe a shotgun or a bedside revolver, those people aren’t effected by this at all..

-Jim

5 hours ago, JimB1 said:

I suspect a lot of the gun owners in NJ only have one or two guns maybe a shotgun or a bedside revolver, those people aren’t effected by this at all..

You're completely forgetting about the volume of rifles that are owned. Even the basic Ruger 10/22, which many people own, originally came with a 25, then we got neutered to 15, now 10. Just about every semi-auto rifle sold takes a mag that's 10+.

Plus, most mid size and larger semi-auto 22, 9mm, .40 handguns take double stack mags that are 10+

It's a lot wider of an issue than you think.