matty

Six weeks

To get my FL resident CWP, and that's calendar days. I could have used my DD214 as the training requirement, but decided to take a class at my local range. Was worth it from a learning the actual law POV. It also confirmed how completely fucked up NJ is after reading all of the Florida law on firearms.

Now have to figure out what to get/buy for carry here. The instructor carried a full size M&P 9 in a kydex IWB holster made by a local.  But he works in a gun shop full time. What works for hre rest of you? 

• Like 1

Should be getting my FL non-resident renewal any day now.  I carry a Springfield Armory 9 mm subcompact in a hybrid IWB holster (either Crossbreed Super Tuck or Galco King Tuck) whenever I have the opportunity.  

Can't tell you how envious I am that you've made it out of NJ!

Damn why so long? Lmao J/K.

my NH resident permit took a little less than 3 weeks with no fingerprints or training requirement. Just a 1 page form that included 3 character references that were never contacted. But then again were comstutional carry up here so I did not need a permit to carry. I only got the permit for reciprocity with other states and because most people up here will not do a FTF sale if you dont have a permit. 

How much does a FL resident permit cost? My NH permit was 10 bucks. 

I carry my shield in a N8 tactial holster the professional model and or my S&W 649 in a desantis pocket holster. 

• Crazy 1

I forget how long it took for the non-resident...

But need to remember that issue with them not doing backgrounds on certain amounts of applicants. Once something like that is uncovered, magnifying glasses come out. I’m sure there will be a wait increase for at least a year or two... until the government finds something else to complain about.

When my wife and I moved to Carbon County Pa it took 15 minutes  to get our CCW. 

I already had the paper work  filled out to save time. $20 for 5 years. It was easier  to get our CCWs than change  over our drivers  license.  As far as concealed  carry  I use an Alien in the waistband  , a Blackhawk on my right hip and I recently  picked up a Galco Miami Classic shoulder  system. Good luck  to all

Dave

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DaveMcL said:

When my wife and I moved to Carbon County Pa it took 15 minutes  to get our CCW. 

I already had the paper work  filled out to save time. $20 for 5 years. It was easier  to get our CCWs than change  over our drivers  license.  As far as concealed  carry  I use an Alien in the waistband  , a Blackhawk on my right hip and I recently  picked up a Galco Miami Classic shoulder  system. Good luck  to all

Dave

Hey Dave!

How is Carbon Co?  Wife n I are plotting a NJ exit in that general direction (Wayne/Pike/Monroe/Luzerne/Lackawanna/Carbon), and would be interested in your take on the area

5 acres , log home on a mountain a couple  of miles from  down  town  Jim Thorpe . Local rod & gun club $15 per year. Some  shopping  8 miles away ( Wal-Mart , Lowe's ). Allentown for Costco ect. 20 miles  away. I see deer every  day and more bear than I like but all in all it is wonderful  !  Brick NJ 90,000 people , here 4500. Two traffic  lights  in town . Life is very different. We love it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveMcL said:

Dave

Ahh you beat me by 5 minutes! There was a line though when I got mine. I guess that is why it took so long. The officer even told me to have a great day when my LTCF was done being laminated lol!

Different world.... for now at least.

1 hour ago, DaveMcL said:

5 acres , log home on a mountain a couple  of miles from  down  town  Jim Thorpe . Local rod & gun club $15 per year. Some  shopping  8 miles away ( Wal-Mart , Lowe's ). Allentown for Costco ect. 20 miles  away. I see deer every  day and more bear than I like but all in all it is wonderful  !  Brick NJ 90,000 people , here 4500. Two traffic  lights  in town . Life is very different. We love it.

Sounds nice.......wife n I are looking at some of the lake communities....like Lake Harmony or Hemlock Farms

On 12/16/2018 at 8:10 PM, matty said:

To get my FL resident CWP, and that's calendar days. I could have used my DD214 as the training requirement, but decided to take a class at my local range. Was worth it from a learning the actual law POV. It also confirmed how completely fucked up NJ is after reading all of the Florida law on firearms.

Now have to figure out what to get/buy for carry here. The instructor carried a full size M&P 9 in a kydex IWB holster made by a local.  But he works in a gun shop full time. What works for hre rest of you? 

I like pocket carry. My G42 fits nice in the front pocket. Feel's like a cell phone. Another plus for pocket carry  is when using a public restroom.  You don't have to worry about your weapon like IWB.  Every once in a while you read a story about a gun being left behind. 

I got my NH resident permit - if you want to call it that - the instant my NH driver's license printed out.  NH doesn't require permits so as soon as I became a resident I was able to legally carry concealed.  I did apply for (and got) a firearms license that took about 4 days or so - it's only used for reciprocity, and some in-state face to face sales where requested.  I also have a couple of non-resident permits for various states as needed.

What I carry depends on the weather and how I'm dressed.  For pocket carry I have a Ruger LCP with a leather pocket holster, for t-shirt carry I have a Kimber Micro9 with OWB Kydex holster, and if I have a jacket or bulky sweatshirt I have a Springfield XD with OWB Kydex paddle,or a Dan Wesson Valor with a shoulder rig.  I also have a S&W model 60 with an ankle holster but haven't carried it yet.  

Living in Free America offers so many choices...

• Like 1

Hey Matt, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Didn't know you moved til I just saw this. Happy for you!

i generally pocket carry every day, usually my Ruger LC9 or the slightly larger and heavier S&W Shield .45. I'd carry the Shield everyday, but with pocket carry, it's a little big, but really like that gun.

Thanks, Keith! Just checking email and gun forum stuff and saw yet post. Moved in July, mainly because of work. Have about a 20 min commute now barring traffic. About the only thing I miss is cjrpc and being able to go there and shoot without much hassle. No 200 yd private ranges close by :-(

I did end up buying an LCR in 38 spl +P. After trying it and some compact 9s, decided on that. I still travel to military bases and go to kid school things so can't carry every day. Revolver go bang each time and it's not too bulky. Plus have been doing better with wheelguns lately. Picked one up from a guy that works near airport like me. Came with crimson trace grip, hogue grip, iwb holster, speed loader, box and papers.

More comfy to shoot with the hogue grip.  CT grip was ok, but those have not been my thing.   Have carried on belt at 4-5 and in pocket. Will probably pick up a pocket holster for it for summer.  

Hope all's well with you in Jax!

On 12/17/2018 at 10:49 AM, carl_g said:

Ahh you beat me by 5 minutes! There was a line though when I got mine. I guess that is why it took so long. The officer even told me to have a great day when my LTCF was done being laminated lol!

Different world.... for now at least.

On 12/17/2018 at 10:34 AM, DaveMcL said:

On 12/17/2018 at 11:37 AM, W2MC said:

Sounds nice.......wife n I are looking at some of the lake communities....like Lake Harmony or Hemlock Farms

Should do an NJGF meet in Lehigh Valley. =)  

Am in the Bangor/Easton area. 

• Like 2