Sniper

D.C. proposal would let police take guns from people accused of domestic abuse

Notice the operative word there "accused", not "convicted". Drip, drip, drip.... piece by piece by piece, the Anti-2A contingent is trying to strip away our natural rights. Any chance it sounds familiar?

WASHINGTON - The D.C. Council on Tuesday could pass new laws restricting the ability of gun owners to modify weapons and require police to seize guns while enforcing protective orders in domestic disputes.

The latter provision - known as a "red flag law" - is gaining popularity, with variants implemented in more than a dozen states, including Maryland. The D.C. version would mandate that authorities take firearms out of the hands of suspected abusers more quickly than is permitted under existing laws. Other proposed laws, if passed, would the ban rapid-fire attachments known as bump stocks and increase penalties for extended magazines, accessories that allow guns to fire faster and hold more bullets.

The D.C. Public Defenders Service opposed the bills at a public hearing in March, saying it was concerned that authorities would have too much latitude to seize weapons. It also said the gun-accessory restrictions are unnecessary because such items are regulated under existing laws.

D.C. Police Chief Peter Newsham sent a letter to the council noting the objections.

"It will, ultimately, create an environment more accepting of illegal guns and the crimes they are used to commit," the chief wrote in the letter. He called the immunity measure a "highly unusual and, I believe, counterproductive step" and said extending the protective-order process to protect illegal guns "will undermine efforts to protect the community and other potential victims of violence."

"As drafted, it makes the otherwise lawful possession of a firearm an unlawful possession as soon as an order is signed by a judge," Semyonova said. "The bill criminalizes conduct that is protected by the Second Amendment, and the person would have no reason to believe it is against the law."

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/D-C-proposal-would-let-police-take-guns-from-13470614.php

Yes. As frustrating as any attempt to strip away 2nd amendment rights is, i find this to be the worst, in regards to the recent bills signed into law by Murphy.  I have heard many stories about how difficult and expensive it can be to get firrarms back.   Even Pennsylvania had a law passed recently related to domestic violence issues, not as bad as the jersey laws, but still another chip off of rights. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, father-of-three said:

As frustrating as any attempt to strip away 2nd amendment rights is, i find this to be the worst, in regards to the recent bills signed into law by Murphy.

I agree! These laws are deeply troubling because they run afoul of more than just the 2nd Amendment. Where the hell is due process here? Where is the protection for the accused from an ill-intentioned person making false claims? These red flag laws are a Constitutional nightmare in my opinion.

And on a purely practical note, how in the hell do these laws promote public safety (which is what they purport to do)? If the person targeted actually IS crazy and violent, and you seize their property, well now you've just gone and given them an actual reason to be angry... and then sent them home.  :facepalm:  Once they're home, they're perfectly free to order a machete, build a few pipe bombs, rent a big bone-crushing truck... or whatever else a true madman does. They can use any manner of really common, readily available items to kill and maim. These laws just make NO SENSE whatsoever when you logically dissect what they do! 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

These laws just make NO SENSE whatsoever when you logically dissect what they do! 

Ahhhh, now you want the Democrats to make sense and act logically?

I think that's a real stretch in today's political climate.