EngineerJet

ANJRPC SCOTUS Carry Lawsuit

If this is in the wrong forum, please advise. Just came across this.

Personally I would have preferred if we had another liberal judge step down but this is where we're at. Let's see what happens.

https://www.anjrpc.org/page/anjrpcaskssupremestohearcarrylawsuit

anjrpc_header-2-revised-b.jpg

ANJRPC ASKS U.S. SUPREME COURT
TO HEAR RIGHT TO CARRY CHALLENGE!

Seeks to Overturn NJ's Unconstitutional Carry Law

ANJRPC On Litigation Offensive

December 20, 2018.  ANJRPC today filed a petition for certiorari, asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear its pending challenge to NJ's unconstitutional carry law, which makes it impossible for average law-abiding citizens to carry handguns outside the home for personal protection.  If the High Court agrees to take the case, it would be the first time in U.S. history that the Supreme Court directly addresses whether states can regulate carry so extensively as to make it impossible for average law-abiding citizens to qualify for a permit to carry.

To see the petition for certiorari in the carry case, click here.

"In the Garden State, the right to bear arms has been misconstrued as limited to inside the home only," said ANJRPC Executive Director Scott Bach.  "The purpose of this case is to require states like New Jersey to recognize that the constitutional right of responsible citizens to bear arms also includes carry outside the home for personal protection.  For far too long, the alleged lack of a decisive interpretation by the U.S. Supreme Court of the right to bear arms outside the home has been exploited by states like New Jersey, which are hostile to the Second Amendment and have done everything in their power to deny this basic civil right to their citizens.  This lawsuit aims to change that," said Bach.

New Jersey has 30 days to respond to ANJRPC's petition.  If the High Court decides to hear the case, oral argument could be heard as soon as October of next year.

This development in ANJRPC's carry case follows yesterday's announcement, in the pending magazine ban lawsuit, that ANJRPC has asked the full Third Circuit to reconsider the decision of a 3-judge panel upholding NJ's unconstitutional ban on magazines between 11-15 rounds.  ANJRPC is on a litigation offensive to implement the Second Amendment as fully as possible, as fast as possible in the Garden State.

ANJRPC thanks NRA-ILA for its tremendous support and guidance in both the carry and mag ban challenges, which have been invaluable. Please support NRA-ILA in its mission, which supports us.

47 minutes ago, Sniper said:

If the High Court agrees to take the case, it would be the first time in U.S. history that the Supreme Court directly addresses whether states can regulate carry so extensively as to make it impossible for average law-abiding citizens to qualify for a permit to carry.

Anyone want to take a wager?

Out of the ”conservative” justices on the court, Clarence Thomas is the man, Alito has been great, and Gorsuch seems good, albeit mostly untested. Unfortunately, Roberts scares me and I have a bad feeling that Kavanaugh won’t be the conservative hero that everyone thinks he will be. I do hope for the best, though. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Persona non grata said:

Out of the ”conservative” justices on the court, Clarence Thomas is the man, Alito has been great, and Gorsuch seems good, albeit mostly untested. Unfortunately, Roberts scares me and I have a bad feeling that Kavanaugh won’t be the conservative hero that everyone thinks he will be. I do hope for the best, though. 

I have a strong inclination that Thomas and Kavenaugh shared a whiskey and said yep” fuck them”.

• Like 1

Ok, so I'm not a lawyer but I'm related to a few, Kavenaugh sided with Roberts and the other liberal judges on the Planned Parenthood case, not exactly promising for a 'strict constitutionalist' (read Thomas' dissent). Hopefully, Trump gets another chance with Barrett or Hardiman. As far as carry permits for us common folk in NJ? maybe if Trump is re-elected and I live to 100.

Kavanaugh isnt the pure conservative but his stance on guns is very good from what i've read. I agree that Roberts is who concerns me. His opinions during the heller and macdonald cases were very promising but after the health care ruling, my faith has forever been shaken.

• Like 2

Two outcomes on this, either we win or the country loses.    were not asking for anything more than what is guaranteed by the Constitution.

If we lose than every single left communist state will mirror NJ's laws verbatim and the country will be at war in short order.  I like to use Washington state as an example,  when I lived there in the 80's it was one of about 5 states that had right to carry.  check the time lapse on one of the carry maps.   Look at it today.

we would go shooting off Weyerhauser logging roads almost ANYWHERE, carry practically anywhere. any guns at the Puyullep  gun show

it was a shooters heaven.

1 hour ago, bennj said:

Ok, so I'm not a lawyer but I'm related to a few, Kavenaugh sided with Roberts and the other liberal judges on the Planned Parenthood case, not exactly promising for a 'strict constitutionalist' (read Thomas' dissent). Hopefully, Trump gets another chance with Barrett or Hardiman. As far as carry permits for us common folk in NJ? maybe if Trump is re-elected and I live to 100.

During his confirmation Kavenaugh stressed the importance following the court's precedent. That doesn't sound like a strict constitutionalist  to me. That's how he got the Dame from Maine to vote to confirm him.

And the Chief is going to be the next Kennedy,

Yep, there is nothing certain here. If the S.C. doesn't take it it will be a dark-day and a strong indication they are going to take the cowardly approach and let 2A (across the country) slowly slip into the abyss pursuant to the whims of the lefty states.

But I do applaud and donate to this fine effort nevertheless.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WP22 said:

During his confirmation Kavenaugh stressed the importance following the court's precedent. That doesn't sound like a strict constitutionalist  to me. That's how he got the Dame from Maine to vote to confirm him.

He spoke about the intent of the amendment, and how it's been interpreted in the past, allll past. 

This is very very helpful, because SCOTUS has very very few rulings on 2a cases... 

Nothing says he wouldn use lower court rulings and interpretation.

It was also a wishy washy answer to begin with. I'm sure it helped him get through the hearings without cause an uproar.

"Instead, he called on gun laws to be weighed based on “text, history, and tradition” and “by appropriate analogues thereto when dealing with modern weapons and new circumstances.” In short, Kavanaugh’s test asks whether a gun law or regulation has been historically or traditionally accepted, instead of deciding whether a local, state, or federal government’s interest in public safety outweighs constitutional protections for gun ownership."

in that context... Way more states beleive in and supported the right to carry.

16 hours ago, WP22 said:

not quite, he also said precedent can be overturned

he also said what he had to but he is a constitutionalist

5 hours ago, siderman said:

Step down, fall down, whatever...

Turns out her fall led to doctors discovering early stage cancer. They were able to remove it before it got serious and she has a clean bill of health now. Long live RBG!

• Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Turns out her fall led to doctors discovering early stage cancer. They were able to remove it before it got serious and she has a clean bill of health now. Long live RBG!

You know that’s not the truth.

Au contraire monsieur  Zeke,

Didn't Chief Justice Roberts recently admonish the president for even hinting the SCOTUS  could possibly have a drop of political/partisan  blood in their veins (eventhough any reasonable adult could tell you which of them is liberal, conservative, or moderate)? I would  be very uncomfortable to see a 2A case come before this current group.

• Like 1