Sign in to follow this  
10X

How the press works in the rest of the country...

I was out in Idaho visiting family earlier this month, and as always, read the local newspaper.    The Times News serves the county, daily circulation about 20K, so it's big for that part of the country.  Good, old fashioned reporting without editorial bias that I've ever been able to detect.  I've been reading it long enough to know they cover the outdoors, to include hunting, fishing, and recreational shooting.  Still, it was refreshing that on page 10 of section A, they had a review of a new concealed carry holster, with a brief comparison of other concealed carry holsters they've reviewed in the past, and some additional text about what makes a good carry holster.  This tucked right in with coverage of George Bush's funeral and an article about legislative changes to Idaho's dental insurance programs.

But what really stood out was how much space the article got...4 columns and a photo on page 10.   28 column-inches, but that apparently wasn't enough, so it was continued for another 9 column-inches on the back page of section A.   And that on just this one day.   How much positive press has anything related to shooting gotten in all NJ newspapers combined in the last year?

If you're wondering, the review is also on the paper's website (though it's way cooler to see it printed in the morning paper), and the reviewer really liked the Bravo Concealment 3.0 IWB holster.   Holster Review

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 10X said:

I was out in Idaho visiting family earlier this month, and as always, read the local newspaper.    The Times News serves the county, daily circulation about 20K, so it's big for that part of the country.  Good, old fashioned reporting without editorial bias that I've ever been able to detect.  I've been reading it long enough to know they cover the outdoors, to include hunting, fishing, and recreational shooting.  Still, it was refreshing that on page 10 of section A, they had a review of a new concealed carry holster, with a brief comparison of other concealed carry holsters they've reviewed in the past, and some additional text about what makes a good carry holster.  This tucked right in with coverage of George Bush's funeral and an article about legislative changes to Idaho's dental insurance programs.

But what really stood out was how much space the article got...4 columns and a photo on page 10.   28 column-inches, but that apparently wasn't enough, so it was continued for another 9 column-inches on the back page of section A.   And that on just this one day.   How much positive press has anything related to shooting gotten in all NJ newspapers combined in the last year?

If you're wondering, the review is also on the paper's website (though it's way cooler to see it printed in the morning paper), and the reviewer really liked the Bravo Concealment 3.0 IWB holster.   Holster Review

Brother 

Broadcasting too. And not as far away as Idaho either.

On the way out to and while in PA we constantly hear ads for firearms dealers and groups declaring their support for the 2A. For example WAEB 790 in Allentown and WILK on various AM and FM channels in Wilkes Barre- Scranton. Evolution Gun Works and the Eastern PA Firearms Coalition come to mind.

The local talk radio shows are distinctly different from the Acela corridor too.

Yup, PSA all over the TV ads here.  Not sure if it's also in the northeast/NJ, but on Comcast here we have the Outdoor Channel and the Sportsman Channel with lots of firearms related content that included ads for all kinds of firearms.