Malsua

Honda CRV 1.5L fuel in Oil

If you are thinking of purchasing one of these CRVs with the 1.5L turbo engine, don't, at least for now.

There is some sort of issue which causes fuel to end up in the crank case and ultimately if you don't check your oil constantly it will overfill to the point the engine will stall.

Honda supposedly has a fix for this, I'm reading that it really hasn't fixed this.  The link below goes to a CR article from October explaining it.

My issue...My wife wants to get one of these.  She will only get a Honda, wants an SUV, the HRV is too small, the pilot is too big so that leaves the CRV.   I won't buy a Toyota, the most arrogant dealers you can find.  Honda isn't much better.   I'd just as soon get her an Outback or Crosstek or a different Subaru but she won't.

There is very little information on this issue after October beyond a bunch of people complaining. 

Anyone know anyone at Honda that might know if it is Actually fixed in the 2019s or is it just lip service?

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/honda-cr-v-affected-by-engine-trouble/

If you can wait a bit, a new Honda SUV is coming out in the spring, the Passport.

https://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/passport?ef_id=1:1:1&CID=SEARCH_HON_GOOGLE_MY19PASSPORT_BRD&gclid=CjwKCAiA3vfgBRB9EiwAkfpd3NLBQ09sOS9zkwpfdZPSTFEnYHNSaXhRhWnXqsVgrVT97TK_d4SoqRoCVOMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&?gclid=CjwKCAiA3vfgBRB9EiwAkfpd3NLBQ09sOS9zkwpfdZPSTFEnYHNSaXhRhWnXqsVgrVT97TK_d4SoqRoCVOMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have read it is the same drivetrain as Pilot...V6, FWD or AWD, but only 2 rows of seats and is shorter than Pilot.

My wife has the 2015 CR-V and so far it has been a great car. She is at about 90K miles.

I was always a Honda guy, have owned 3, but my last 2 cars have been Toyotas and I feel they are a little bit better than Hondas in all respects.

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

I gotta say - Toyotas are worth it though.  RAV-4 would be my top pick in that size bracket.

I do have a 2017 pilot.  0 issues.

My father in law has a  2017 Highlander that has been to the dealer 30 times at least.  Once a month for something or other.  He's not a complainer either, but when you're driving down the road and the canbus cuts out, every light on the dash comes on, the engine slows to a crawl...you need to get it fixed.   Interior panels have fallen off.  The transmission has been replaced.   A fuel injector has failed.  The battery has failed.   The vehicle doesn't have 15k miles on it yet.   It's a constant parade of issues.    It's a stinking loaf of fecal matter masquerading as a car.   The dealer has hassled him EVERY time about it, instead of looking at the MIL DTC code, and saying "ok, we'll fix it, here's a loaner".  How can they suggest an 83YO driver has anything to do with a premature injector failure?  He even went to a different dealer further away, they aren't much better. 

12 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I gotta say - Toyotas are worth it though.  RAV-4 would be my top pick in that size bracket.

I do have a 2017 pilot.  0 issues.

I can't answer the OP's question.   We have a couple of RAV4s in the family, which have been very reliable.   One odd thing, though...the paint is peeling off in large sheets...entirely on it's own, on both a 2009 and a 2012, both in white.  The roof is bare on one, a quarter panel is headed that way on the other one.    Anyone encounter this?

Back to the topic at hand--didn't mean to derail the thread.

5 minutes ago, dajonga said:

If you can wait a bit, a new Honda SUV is coming out in the spring, the Passport.

https://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/passport?ef_id=1:1:1&CID=SEARCH_HON_GOOGLE_MY19PASSPORT_BRD&gclid=CjwKCAiA3vfgBRB9EiwAkfpd3NLBQ09sOS9zkwpfdZPSTFEnYHNSaXhRhWnXqsVgrVT97TK_d4SoqRoCVOMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&?gclid=CjwKCAiA3vfgBRB9EiwAkfpd3NLBQ09sOS9zkwpfdZPSTFEnYHNSaXhRhWnXqsVgrVT97TK_d4SoqRoCVOMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have read it is the same drivetrain as Pilot...V6, FWD or AWD, but only 2 rows of seats and is shorter than Pilot.

My wife has the 2015 CR-V and so far it has been a great car. She is at about 90K miles.

I was always a Honda guy, have owned 3, but my last 2 cars have been Toyotas and I feel they are a little bit better than Hondas in all respects.

Oh, I like the HP.     I bet that is the same engine as my Acura.     I wouldn't mind getting an RDX for her but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money, this may be similar to the RDX, just cheaper as a Honda.

20 minutes ago, Malsua said:

My issue...My wife wants to get one of these.  She will only get a Honda, wants an SUV, the HRV is too small, the pilot is too big so that leaves the CRV. 

How about a Ridgeline? It's a SUV on the inside, but has a bed and a trunk for carrying stuff. Back seat folds up to carry big stuff inside.

I have a Ridgeline with 60K miles, 3.5L motor. Best, reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I was a Dodge guy before this, won't go back.

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

How about a Ridgeline? It's a SUV on the inside, but has a bed and a trunk for carrying stuff. Back seat folds up to carry big stuff inside.

I have a Ridgeline with 60K miles, 3.5L motor. Best, reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I was a Dodge guy before this, won't go back.

She's a small lady and while I wouldn't mind a Ridgeline, she doesn't want a truck.   I've got a Ram 2500 that sits on 33s.  She can't reach the pedals and has a negative opinion on trucks ;)

10 minutes ago, Handyman said:

If I recall correctly, this issue only affected a couple of production years.

2017, 2018 and supposed to be fixed on the 2019.  No one has stated that it is actually fixed.  The fix was applied to some 2018s and didn't fix it.

1.5L turbos.

It was a big enough deal that China halted _ALL_ sales of the vehicle.  That got Honda's attention, prior to which they were ignoring the problem.

Piston rings and cross hatch miss application. This has been the #1 problem in the 4 stroke outboard industry, failed fuel injectors will also cause this so if an injector sprays too much fuel into the cylinder the excess will blow by the rings. We call this ( Making Oil).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dajonga said:

Passport is back? Wow, welcome back to the 90s. =)

Anastasia did like the CRV as it is fairly big inside and it is quite nice.  The other one we considered and liked A LOT was the Mazda CX5.  You can get really good deals on them.  Very well packaged and much cheaper than equivalent Honda CRV and Toyota cute utility vehicles.  Great on gas too.

One issues the Honda's have is really crappy paint, particularly on the lower end cars such as the Civic and CRV.

The other downside perhaps is that If you have a CRV, you will have a tough time finding it in a parking lot of other hundred CRVs... although if you want to blend in, this will not be a problem. =)

1 hour ago, tony357 said:

Piston rings and cross hatch miss application. This has been the #1 problem in the 4 stroke outboard industry, failed fuel injectors will also cause this so if an injector sprays too much fuel into the cylinder the excess will blow by the rings. We call this ( Making Oil).

What I have read, and take this with a grain of salt, is that during warmup, extra fuel is dumped into the cylinders and blows past the rings.  The "fix" is to reduce the warm-up period.   It mostly affects people who take short trips in cold climates as the warmup period is longer when it is cold outside and during short trips, the fuel doesn't get boiled back out of the oil. 

The whole thing strikes me as a serious design flaw.  The higher end civics share the same engine, but those run a different fuel map, so while the issue exists it is at a low enough level as to not create a major issue.

4 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Passport is back? Wow, welcome back to the 90s. =)

Anastasia did like the CRV as it is fairly big inside and it is quite nice.  The other one we considered and liked A LOT was the Mazda CX5.  You can get really good deals on them.  Very well packaged and much cheaper than equivalent Honda CRV and Toyota cute utility vehicles.  Great on gas too.

One issues the Honda's have is really crappy paint, particularly on the lower end cars such as the Civic and CRV.

The other downside perhaps is that If you have a CRV, you will have a tough time finding it in a parking lot of other hundred CRVs... although if you want to blend in, this will not be a problem. =)

Wife wants it.  I didn't suggest it is logical.   I would rather just get her an Acura or Subaru, but she has only ever owned Hondas and figures this may be her last vehicle as she keeps them 10-16 years.  Her first was a 76 CVVC, sold it in 1992.  We sold the 1992 Civic in 2008 with 36k miles.  The 2008 Civic currently has 39k miles. 

1 minute ago, Malsua said:

Wife wants it.  I didn't suggest it is logical.   I would rather just get her an Acura or Subaru, but she has only ever owned Hondas and figures this may be her last vehicle as she keeps them 10-16 years.  Her first was a 76 CVVC, sold it in 1992.  We sold the 1992 Civic in 2008 with 36k miles.  The 2008 Civic currently has 39k miles. 

If the mileage is that low... just get it.

Generally, they are very good vehicles and had no service issues with our Civic and then the two Accords. 

The big plusses for the CRV is that it is very roomy, practical, great on gas, very good safety and safety features including the Sense.

And quite honestly a CRV is damn near same thing as RDX.... just less gadgets.  Get the Honda Sense and even better. 

If you want a good dealer in Princeton, let me know.  Very good, BS free numbers and deals. 

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

If the mileage is that low... just get it.

Generally, they are very good vehicles and had no service issues with our Civic and then the two Accords. 

The big plusses for the CRV is that it is very roomy, practical, great on gas, very good safety and safety features including the Sense.

And quite honestly a CRV is damn near same thing as RDX.... just less gadgets.  Get the Honda Sense and even better. 

If you want a good dealer in Princeton, let me know.  Very good, BS free numbers and deals. 

I think you misunderstand.  Our 2008 Civic currently has 39k miles.   I want her to have an AWD.  We live at 1250 feet in our own micro climate that runs 5-10 degrees colder than 10 miles from us in any direction.  It's why there are two ski resorts in our town.  

She wants it for the improved driving height.    I just want something new before it starts nickel and diming us to death with stupid stuff.  We had to replace the instrument cluster a few months ago.   That was $800 I won't get back.

I would have bought  the CRV today if I have good confidence that the engines are fixed. 

The other issue is...how much will they give us for the 2008?  I'd be happy with 4k.  It's clean and the tires have all of about 1k miles on them.   It's hard to find a low miles used car, so I could probably privately sell it for 5-6k.

Then there is the whole...do I finance the difference or just pay it.   I have the cash, but I was thinking of maybe financing 10k or 15k(24 months or such) + cash + trade.    If I could get a decent return right now and a low APR at the dealer, that'd be the better way to go.

37 minutes ago, Malsua said:

I think you misunderstand.  Our 2008 Civic currently has 39k miles.   I want her to have an AWD.  We live at 1250 feet in our own micro climate that runs 5-10 degrees colder than 10 miles from us in any direction.  It's why there are two ski resorts in our town.  

She wants it for the improved driving height.    I just want something new before it starts nickel and diming us to death with stupid stuff.  We had to replace the instrument cluster a few months ago.   That was $800 I won't get back.

I would have bought  the CRV today if I have good confidence that the engines are fixed. 

The other issue is...how much will they give us for the 2008?  I'd be happy with 4k.  It's clean and the tires have all of about 1k miles on them.   It's hard to find a low miles used car, so I could probably privately sell it for 5-6k.

Then there is the whole...do I finance the difference or just pay it.   I have the cash, but I was thinking of maybe financing 10k or 15k(24 months or such) + cash + trade.    If I could get a decent return right now and a low APR at the dealer, that'd be the better way to go.

That is what I meant... just came out wrong.

IF you are driving that low mileage... then just get the CRV.  The warranty should cover you for quite a long time.

Yes, seating position is better.  The AWD systems on the Hondas are not that great though honestly.  Would still put snow tires on the thing.  

And as far as new one... there should be dirt cheap money deals on them... Honda is trying to get more returning customers.  Finance then pay off.

For the used one... the advantage is that you only pay sales tax on the difference between new and trade in.  So if you get $4k for trade in, you are saving about $250... so in essence like getting $4,250 or your trade.

Wifey has a 2017, put nearly 50k on it with no problems.. I even enjoy it in the snow, been caught In a few storms going up the same elevation, drove past a lot of stuck vehicles just fine on stock tires. 

I was under the impression this was really an issue for extreme cold weather and not allowing the engine to get up to temp before turning it off. 

12 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Wifey has a 2017, put nearly 50k on it with no problems.. I even enjoy it in the snow, been caught In a few storms going up the same elevation, drove past a lot of stuck vehicles just fine on stock tires. 

I was under the impression this was really an issue for extreme cold weather and not allowing the engine to get up to temp before turning it off. 

I'm just going by what I'm reading.   It seems to be hit or miss.   It may be worse on the 18s, I dunno.  

13 hours ago, bry@n said:

My MIL has a crv 1.5 exl and no issues. Lives on the Long Island, so everything is a short trip and she’s retired so...  

I’ll chk the oil when I see her this week. 

Please do, I'm curious.  More data points is welcome. 

Hey Mark,

I bought a 2018 EX in Feb. Have 11,000+ miles on it and not aware of any issues. It is a very nice vehicle for the money.

Just had an oil change at dealer last month. They didn't say anything, but then again, if it was an issue, not sure they would.

So far I am happy with it. Good luck on your decision.

1 hour ago, njpilot said:

Hey Mark,

I bought a 2018 EX in Feb. Have 11,000+ miles on it and not aware of any issues. It is a very nice vehicle for the money.

Just had an oil change at dealer last month. They didn't say anything, but then again, if it was an issue, not sure they would.

So far I am happy with it. Good luck on your decision.

Thanks.  Bought an ex for the wife an hour ago.  They swore that the issue is resolved.   Got a decent deal. Shrug.  Nice vehicle.   

It surprised me on a few features.    I realize its just a crv.  Its comfortable and rides well.  I wanted her to get an Acura RDX but she wanted cloth seats so the dog doesn't slide around.  Lol.  Now were just like 250,000 other people this year.  

20181229_162525.jpg

32 minutes ago, njpilot said:

Nice. What color? Mine is Sandstorm

Hmm.   I think it's called "Old people silver"  :)

I think Honda calls it Lunar Silver.   I prefer silvers and grays simply because you don't have to wash 'em every other day.

2 minutes ago, njpilot said:

Nice. Yeah, I'm normally not charcoal grey, but I liked this color when I first saw it and it was one of the few AWD ones. I got many compliments on the color when I first got it.

I've got 4 silver cars now. lol.    We looked at the darker ones and they are nice, they are just a pain, specially with all the salt we deal with up here.  They end up looking like they were driven UNDER the ocean every time you're out after a salting.

Anyone interested in a 2008 Honda Civic, 39,500 miles (yeah, you read that right), new tires, minor scratches but clean.   Oh, it's silver. ;)