JohnnyB

Springfield 1903

I have this rifle and it's bayonet. My Grandfather bought it still in Cosmoline long before I was born. My Father owned it and I have had it for about 30 years now.  I don't think it has been fired since it's serial # is 249,XXX dates it to pre WW1 around 1907. I understand this is not safe to shoot due to forging problems with the early serials. I have had suggestions from not shooting it at all to tying it to a tire and pulling the trigger with a string with a proof +P load it it! The barrel looks unused and I have no way of knowing when my Grandfather got it and from whom.

Anyone have experience in this area since I obviously have none! Thanks.

4 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

If the rifle is a 1903A3, it was made in the 1940's. The serial number you posted would made it a 1903, not a 1903A3.

I just pulled it out of the safe it is Model 1903 and the Serial is 249, XXX so about 1907.

15 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

The serial number you posted would made it a 1903, not a 1903A3.

Yep...  ^^^

What you have there is a wall hanger.  A really collectible early example of a first model 1903.  I would not shoot it.

EDIT:  More from CMP

The following from the CMP Sales pages:

WARNING ON “LOW-NUMBER” SPRINGFIELDS
M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury. It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.
To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts. This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000 and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507. All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles. Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles.
In view of the safety risk the Ordnance Department withdrew from active service all “low-number” Springfields. During WWII, however, the urgent need for rifles resulted in the rebuilding and reissuing of many “low-number” as well as “high-number” Springfields. The bolts from such rifles were often mixed during rebuilding, and did not necessarily remain with the original receiver.
Generally speaking, “low number” bolts can be distinguished from “high-number” bolts by the angle at which the bolt handle is bent down. All “low number” bolts have the bolt handle bent straight down, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt body. High number bolts have “swept-back” (or slightly rearward curved) bolt handles.
A few straight-bent bolts are of the double heat-treat type, but these are not easily identified, and until positively proved otherwise ANY straight-bent bolt should be assumed to be “low number”. All original swept-back bolts are definitely “high number”. In addition, any bolt marked “N.S.” (for nickel steel) can be safely regarded as “high number” if obtained directly from CMP (beware of re-marked fakes).
CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER. Such rifles should be regarded as collector’s items, not “shooters”.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Barrel date... top of barrel, just before front sight (meaning from the front sight towards the chamber). Should be very visible.

I removed the top piece of wood and found   REP 2 0  on the top of barrel about an inch forward of the front sight. Rather small stamp. From what I have found it's a steel lot code.  Seems like the original barrel from 1907. So far the slightly swept bolt is the only sign of a change!

7 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I removed the top piece of wood and found   REP 2 0  on the top of barrel about an inch forward of the front sight. Rather small stamp. From what I have found it's a steel lot code.  Seems like the original barrel from 1907. So far the slightly swept bolt is the only sign of a change!

Post a picture of the gun... you shouldn’t have to remove wood on a M1903 to get that date.

Front sight is the one near the muzzle. Rear is closer to your face.

s4-vi.jpg

Here’s a thread with another picture of an earlier barrel... with a similar date stamp. That’s why your post seems odd.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?414081-Springfield-M1903-Converted-from-M1903-05#/topics/414081

• Like 1

For a rebarrel, likely more than enough rounds have been through it to say the receiver is fine. Your rifle, but I wouldn’t have issue shooting it. Wouldn’t push past M2, but that is definitely your decision in what to do.

I had an offer for a low number rifle, prior to getting my current M1903 (1,251,xxx). I didn’t really know about it, but was similar... rebarrelled. Guy discussed that the gun had to have enough rounds through it for the new barrel, so likely was good. But being new into them (only other surplus rifle I had was my Mosin Nagant M44), I opted for the higher serial number.

• Like 1