Maksim

What Does Your Spouse/Partner Know About Your Guns?

What Does Your Spouse/Partner Know About Your Guns?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Does Your Spouse Or Partner Know You Have Firearms?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have to sneak firearms into the house? Have You?

• Yes - All or Most of the Time
    • Seldom
    • Never
  3. 3. Have you ever mislead your spouse/partner about how much you paid for a firearm?

• Yes - Generally do.
    • Yes - But only on a few occasions.
    • No - Never have.

1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

Does carrying an empty rifle case out and carrying it back in with a rifle in it count as sneaking when it's done in front of her?

I would think so... yes. 

She did not notice the floppy case going out the door and having it come back stiff? =)

Or was it one of those plastic fantastic cases that is always stiff for more than 4 hours?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I'll say this. My wife knows of my hobby of course, but would like to know as little as possible. For whatever reason, she is afraid of guns, and even of my knives. There so far has been nothing that I can say that will change that. She refuses to go to the range and just doesn't want to see the guns around. Of course I showed her how they work and tried to show her that it is a tool like any other, but she is not interested. So, when I buy something new I just quietly put it together with all my other guns and she doesn't know about it, nor does she want to. I guess she is just happy that I have this crazy hobby and don't gamble or drink.   

• Like 2

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

Does carrying an empty rifle case out and carrying it back in with a rifle in it count as sneaking when it's done in front of her?

Only if she knew it was empty as declared or demonstrated by you going out and you did not declare a it now contained a rifle upon reentry. My wife would want to know why I am carrying empty rifle cases in an out of the house real quick!  

My wife knows and knows what I spend.  She may not like it at times but as long as the bills are paid and our lifestyle is not changed why would she say anything?  Why would anyone sneak around their wife for real?  I've joked about it and I thought others were joking as well.  If you have to hide your hobby from your wife you need to reaccess who really wears the pants.

1 minute ago, capt14k said:

My wife knows and knows what I spend.  She may not like it at times but as long as the bills are paid and our lifestyle is not changed why would she say anything?  Why would anyone sneak around their wife for real?  I've joked about it and I thought others were joking as well.  If you have to hide your hobby from your wife you need to reaccess who really wears the pants.

Granted, the sample size is still small, but I am not surprised that 4/10 have had to sneak in a gun.... but am more surprised that the majority so far... have had to stretch the truth in terms of how much their firearms cost.

Will see in the next 48 hours if this holds up. 

6 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Bunch of perves... I am talking about a rifle case here. :priest:

So was I.............

My wife knew I owned guns and hunted before we were married.  Now she knows I own more guns than before we were married.  That's all she need to know.  I don't get all up in her grill when she brings home shoe boxes.  We have an understanding.

EDIT:

Btw, now that I have gotten into the black rifle craze, she really does not know how many I have, they all look the same to her.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, JohnnyB said:

As to question

1. Does Your Spouse Or Partner Know You Have Firearms?

If you only had a few you might hide them. When your collection numbers more than 10 or 20, you may have trouble!:lol:

Not anyone on the forum BUT I do know of a few people I worked with years ago that actually kept their guns in storage rooms, their friends homes or even in their vacation homes so that their spouse would not know either that they own guns or at the very least how many.

That is I suppose the difference between questions 1 and 2. 

4 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Totally NOT a matter of having to sneak them in! I choose to sneak them in to avoid questions and an unnecessary argument. I do what I want but choose to avoid any questions.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Totally NOT a matter of having to sneak them in! I choose to sneak them in to avoid questions and an unnecessary argument. I do what I want but choose to avoid any questions.

But then when they one day see inside of your safe...

"DAMN.... I did not know you spent so much on buying so many!"  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maksim said:

"DAMN.... I did not know you spent so much on buying so many!"  

1) Which safe? #1, #2 or #3?

2) They all look the same to her!

3) She can't count that fast or that high!:)

She's not stupid. She knows full well what I have,  Kind of!  If I bring yet another gun into the house in front of her,  it's kind of like I am rubbing her face in it and she wants to know why I need another gun. She never accepted my truthful answer of "This one is special and a great deal"!   

32 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

As to question

1. Does Your Spouse Or Partner Know You Have Firearms?

If you only had a few you might hide them. When your collection numbers more than 10 or 20, you may have trouble!:lol:

When she has more than 20, no problem!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Maksim said:

22 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

1) Which safe? #1, #2 or #3?

Now there's a guy with the right solution!

36 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Now she knows I own more guns than before we were married.  That's all she need to know.  I don't get all up in her grill when she brings home shoe boxes. 

Ha..

That's usually the only time I catch some heat, when she goes to put her new pairs of shoes into the closet, and there's a new case of ammo in the place she was going to put the shoes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That's usually the only time I catch some heat, when she goes to put her new pairs of shoes into the closet, and there's a new case of ammo in the place she was going to put the shoes.

The ammo stash she will never see!:lol: She thinks those locked cabinets are full of old paint! Gotta keep the Grand kids away from all that lead.....that old paint might contain!:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Maksim said:

I would think so... yes. 

She did not notice the floppy case going out the door and having it come back stiff? =)

Or was it one of those plastic fantastic cases that is always stiff for more than 4 hours?

You realize of course, that even the lowly .22 round is bigger than those "little blue pills".

No wonder all my cases are stiffies! ;)

8 hours ago, capt14k said:

Mine has a general idea what I have and what it cost,  but isn't really  interested in knowing the details.

As for her, the shoes argument mentioned earlier is backed up by her pocketbook collection, and I'm not at all sure who has spent more. :rofl:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Now there's a guy with the right solution!

Ha..

You just wait until she figures out she can fit 2 or 3 pairs of her shoes inside each ammo case.

8 hours ago, Maksim said:

Granted, the sample size is still small, but I am not surprised that 4/10 have had to sneak in a gun.... but am more surprised that the majority so far... have had to stretch the truth in terms of how much their firearms cost.

Will see in the next 48 hours if this holds up. 

I am surprised too.  I always thought guys were joking.  I proudly tell me my wife how I got this all matching Mauser for $1,000.  She doesn't really care, just says that's nice.  Sometimes she will ask what can you sell it for.  That's about as far as it goes.  

My wife doesn’t care what I get.  She asked why do I  need so many?  I told her they’re all so different.. they’re like shoes they all serve the same function but in a different way. She immediately understood that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

never want to have to lie, bring 2 rifle cases everywhere, one full and one empty :D

my answers to this thing are in a far smaller number then i though

although the last one went from "can i buy another ak," to "guess who just bought another ak"

i mean i know shes gonna whine anyway, and aks are life

On 12/24/2018 at 8:44 PM, Rob0115 said:

I told her they’re all so different.. they’re like shoes they all serve the same function but in a different way. She immediately understood that. 

I used that method when buying all types of power tools in the past, and she bought it, so it's really easy to use the same argument when a new rifle shows up.

On 12/24/2018 at 7:55 AM, capt14k said:

I am surprised too.  I always thought guys were joking.  I proudly tell me my wife how I got this all matching Mauser for $1,000.  She doesn't really care, just says that's nice.  Sometimes she will ask what can you sell it for.  That's about as far as it goes.  

My wife is the same way. She just asked me to write down in each box what I think each one is worth so she knows if something happens to me .  We really don't question what each of us spends.  We're way past that point at this time 

• Like 1

My former spouse knew very little, but enough to make gun ownership a marriage breaker issue and wanting then out of the house multiple times. 

My current fiance knows most of what i have in a generic sense.  She hasn't gone shooting with me yet, but we are planning for the near future (the PA sgl's close at sunset, so that extra hour in the spring will help after work!).  After several years of gun ownership tension, my current relationship is a relief.  And she understands the purpose and need for defense, and how much more complicated it is in this state.

• Like 1

My wife knows about all of my firearms purchases.  I don't ask permission, however we typically have some type of conversation prior to a purchase to discuss how it will impact us financially to make sure it's not going to negatively affect us.  I'd be pretty pissed if she spent $1,400 on something, even if it was something she really enjoyed, and tried to hide it from me.  Honestly unless you and your spouse have some sort of "you spend less than x amount a month/year on firearms and accessories, then I don't care or want to hear about it" agreement, and you're hiding these expensive purchases from them, then you're undercutting the meaning of why you got married in the first place.

Accessories are a slightly different story.  If they're less than $200 and fit within the budget that we have outlined, then I'll purchase them without talking to her prior, but I still don't hide it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I didn't respond to the poll but will answer the questions.

My wife knew I had guns and liked the idea.  Her participation in shooting was limited.  She was very capable of engaging a target within 50' with a S&W Model 10.  She didn't like semiautos.  The simpler manual of arms with a revolver appealed to her.  When I showed her how to use a speedloader she was impressed but said if she ran out of ammo she'd just go to another gun.

Never had to sneak a gun in the house.

Never had to lie about what I paid for a gun.

I know different types of relationships work for different kinds of people.  I never saw a need to have to "wear the pants".  I had a wifeI saw a marriage as a joint relationship.  We each had our own little kingdoms where we were the boss but just about everything was done together.

• Like 3