Downtownv

Have the Talk with your family!

Our very own WP22 (Willie Pete) inspired me with his comment about his wife wondering how to get rid of his firearms should he pass 1st

On another forum I belong to, a larger than life member ( I Mean that in a good way) passed away.

It was posted that his family took  $25000 dollars worth of his guns to Cabela's who was very generous in conning the boots of them and they accepted the $500 cabella's offered them!

So not to hijack My Girl Friends Thread (The Lovely Mrs Peel)

Every one of Us need to tell their family what their guns are worth. I prefer a range of prices like a 69 Colt Python 2" Barrel-$3500-$5000

I would also tell them a contact  on a forum or 2 that can help with getting them listed on their classified boards.

Don't let them be this guy, whose family got screwed!

don't be that guy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a good cautionary tale, and horror stories like that should make every gun owner take steps to see that their collections are valued appropriately.

I recommend keeping a spreadsheet, securely, and with backups, that your family will know how to access if needed.  

1. List make, model, caliber/gauge, detailed description to include manufacture date, attached accessories (scopes, etc), and who you want to receive the gun when you die.    
  2. Also list serial number, approximate value, and family history, if any (some guns will be a lot more valuable to the family than the market value would indicate).

A spreadsheet with the data in #1, above, gets attached to your will.   It will make life much, much easier for the recipient(s) if the guns are passed down, by name, as part of your will.

The full spreadsheet, with the data in both #1 and #2, is stored securely, so your family knows approximate values and why some guns might just need to stay in the family (for example, I'd attach a lot more sentimental value to a milsurp brought home by a relative who carried it in battle that I would to an otherwise identical gun bought at a gun show last year, and a relative dealing with the collection might not otherwise know that).   You don't need to list serial numbers or values in a will that will someday become at least semi-public.  Adding up the value column is also useful for figuring out how much firearm insurance you should be carrying.   You are probably underinsured.

• Like 1

Good points from both of you!

My situation is a little different, all my firearms/related paraphernalia is going to my son. The wifey isn't interested in any of it, but I am going to ask her to at least keep one specific item that she's gotten a little more used to, as a defensive tool.

He has a clue about how to deal with them, and won't get taken for a ride by anyone he offers any of it to. (one of the benefits of millennials and their googling stuff, like gunbroker or classicfireams ) Odds are he'd keep most of it.

My fervent hope is that my boy will keep dragging her to the range now and again. 

58 minutes ago, 10X said:

That's a good cautionary tale, and horror stories like that should make every gun owner take steps to see that their collections are valued appropriately.

I recommend keeping a spreadsheet, securely, and with backups, that your family will know how to access if needed.  

1. List make, model, caliber/gauge, detailed description to include manufacture date, attached accessories (scopes, etc), and who you want to receive the gun when you die.    
  2. Also list serial number, approximate value, and family history, if any (some guns will be a lot more valuable to the family than the market value would indicate).

A spreadsheet with the data in #1, above, gets attached to your will.   It will make life much, much easier for the recipient(s) if the guns are passed down, by name, as part of your will.

The full spreadsheet, with the data in both #1 and #2, is stored securely, so your family knows approximate values and why some guns might just need to stay in the family (for example, I'd attach a lot more sentimental value to a milsurp brought home by a relative who carried it in battle that I would to an otherwise identical gun bought at a gun show last year, and a relative dealing with the collection might not otherwise know that).   You don't need to list serial numbers or values in a will that will someday become at least semi-public.  Adding up the value column is also useful for figuring out how much firearm insurance you should be carrying.   You are probably underinsured.

There's an EXCELLENT app!

Gun Log SPC

I have everything logged there.

Given the way christmas eve is going around here, fuck it; once i'm dead let them get shafted on value, if they stupidly choose to sell it all off.  I'm beyond caring now, and certainly won't give a shit once i'm busy feeding the crabgrass from underneath.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, sota said:

Given the way christmas eve is going around here, fuck it; once i'm dead let them get shafted on value, if they stupidly choose to sell it all off.  I'm beyond caring now, and certainly won't give a shit once i'm busy feeding the crabgrass from underneath.

@Mrs. Peel definitely turned this place Christmas dark. 3 threads and a poll ?

• Haha 2

We have this same issue with one of my other hobbies...amateur radio (hence the 'W2MC').  One of the big services the clubs provide is a forum to sell-off the old stuff after the member has passed away.

BUT...the flip of this problem is also an issue....the survivor being previously warned about the sharks trying to take advantage of him/her....but expecting full new retail price for 15-30 year old radios....in completely unknown condition. 

• Like 1

My wife currently thinks my guns are only worth about 75.00 dollars for the rifle and 100 for the pistol,  there is no way in hell I would tell her the true value of ALL of them.     than depending on the marriage years from now  ( she keeps talking about living here , NJ ) I certainly dont want her to know.     along with the silver bars, coins and gold that can not be traced to me as an asset if that day ever comes.   Oh, and a treasure map as to what walls to open up.

I would rather loose them after that inevitable date than to a scum bag lawyer.      I will let a trusted friend know and if my kids dont want them I'll will them to someone who would take care and oil them on a regular basis.

One request I have is if I am buried in NJ I am to be laid out with a shoulder holster and a loaded gun for protection in the after life and as a snub to the state on NJ that I will be carrying forever regardless of the laws when that happens.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Not at all, hijack away... your thread is a good reminder for people.

(And how come I'm the last to know we're dating?!)  :facepalm: 

I was believing him.  I have provisions in my trust and will for my firearms.  The Glocks I’ve invested to much in I don’t care about but I have P7s, Pythons and a few other fine pieces that are outlined to be appraised by a non-purchaser.  

• Like 1