Dawgs

AR Fixed Mag

Supposedly, it removes 1 evil feature from the rifle.

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

That would be a major PIA to have to split the rifle and load the mags that way.

Also it would render the platform pretty useless in a HD or SHTF scenario!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawgs said:

Im reading about the products that permanently attaches the mag to the weapon so its fixed.  How does this effect the NJ Assault Weapons requirements?

That will make Murphy very happy until he gets the weapon completely banned.

(don't do it.)

So generally, the fixed mags/button bullets have not been popular in NJ as generally shooters would keep the detachable magazine and instead give up either the telescoping stocks or flash hiders.  

These fixed mags are now "part of the gun" and does free up an evil feature, allowing you to have either a flash hider, threaded barrel or a telescoping stock.

In states like NY and CA it gets around Assault Weapon laws. 

Practically, there is no reason for these in NJ and as someone else mentioned, for a home defense/zombies come situation I would rather have the ability to quick change mags.

Although... popping the rear pin on the upper and using stripper clips would be fairly fast too.

• Like 1

Actually Maks, in my holiday cheer addled brain, I seem to recall that a detachable mag is not an evil feature in the PRNJ, it is in fact the qualifier in the assault weapon statute.

So that takes these truly fixed mag ARs out of the 'evil feature' game.

And the MEAN Arms stuff really works. Better than having to top break it to reload. The StripLULA does not work for top load.

5 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Actually Maks, in my holiday cheer addled brain, I seem to recall that a detachable mag is not an evil feature in the PRNJ, it is in fact the qualifier in the assault weapon statute.

And the MEAN Arms stuff really works. Better than having to top break it to reload. The StripLULA does not work for top load.

Duh, just re-read, you are right on.

If the gun no longer accepts a detachable mag... no longer evil gun. 

9 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

the problem with NJ in past was the wording was 

"ability to accept a detachable magazine" as in can the gun accept one.. there is no qualifier for tools required.. amount of hassle.. etc.. 

that is why I don't believe the California solution stands in NJ.. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

the problem with NJ in past was the wording was 

"ability to accept a detachable magazine" as in can the gun accept one.. there is no qualifier for tools required.. amount of hassle.. etc.. 

that is why I don't believe the California solution stands in NJ.. 

I wouldn't trust being safe from the law unless I had found a way to make it so you had to drill the mag release off. Add in constructive intent for an actual assault weapon if you have a standard mag release... too sketchy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Maksim said:

So generally, the fixed mags/button bullets have not been popular in NJ as generally shooters would keep the detachable magazine and instead give up either the telescoping stocks or flash hiders.  

These fixed mags are now "part of the gun" and does free up an evil feature, allowing you to have either a flash hider, threaded barrel or a telescoping stock.

In states like NY and CA it gets around Assault Weapon laws. 

Practically, there is no reason for these in NJ and as someone else mentioned, for a home defense/zombies come situation I would rather have the ability to quick change mags.

Although... popping the rear pin on the upper and using stripper clips would be fairly fast too.

It sux that we have to choose, clearly. And "evil" feature is absurd, but this isn't the place for this,,,,,,,,,

If we must settle, my personal thinking is that the adjustable stock (for fitment to possibly more than one user) is the only option that even runs a close second to the removable magazine as what to keep. In MOST scenarios,  capacity is a bigger benefit to the shooter.

Apart from the noise factor (especially inside) being affected by either a sound suppressor or compensator, both using the threaded barrel, it seems to me that being able to swap out our measly 10 rounders quickly trumps the other choices. Home defense, supposed s.h.t.f. considerations, tho obviously the rules will mean less at that point. 

Just another opinion, mine, but it's one I gave some real thought to when picking what parts to put on my personal AR.

As I've seen before on this intelligently populated forum, YMMV.

17 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

you don't unpin anything

as fast as a mag change

Definitely cool, and a good idea for sure if it holds up. I like it.

If a permanent non-removable mag is used, is it still limited to 10 rounds? Does NJ or Cali. legislation B.S.  clarify that, eliminating having a 30, 40  or 10,000 :rofl:  round magazine that's non-removable? I forget the wording used.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:08 AM, JohnnyB said:

Supposedly, it removes 1 evil feature from the rifle.

Also it would render the platform pretty useless in a HD or SHTF scenario!

In a SHTF senario... do you think anyones going to care what the laws are? :)

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, remixer said:

In a SHTF senario... do you think anyones going to care what the laws are? :)

Are you saying someone might even use one of those "high capacity" 15 round mags in that situation?????????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 345Sire said:

If a permanent non-removable mag is used, is it still limited to 10 rounds? Does NJ or Cali. legislation B.S.  clarify that, eliminating having a 30, 40  or 10,000 :rofl:  round magazine that's non-removable? I forget the wording used.

IIRC the 10rd magazine law is applicable to all semi auto rifles even with a fixed magazine. The SA rifle needs to be modified to hold less than 10rds or registered with NJSP.

7 hours ago, 345Sire said:

how do you end up with a "permanent non removable" magazine?

You realize this *is* coming next legislative cycle - you are going to have to go to zero feature rifles - best make a plan now - and if you do not think it is coming - well, maybe you should wake up.......

:popcorn:

This year was just a start - the full push is coming.........what are you going to do?

• Like 1