Sign in to follow this  
70gto

6.5 grendel in 16 inch barell

Thanks fellas to be honest I never built one. I suppose now would be a good time to start. I woould like the grendel in 16 as a all around one, and the creedmore to take the place of my 308 (larue) nothing wrong with it just wanted to switch calibers

grendel and 6.8(had an lwrc and sold it) are interesting and great calibers.  Inside of 300, 6.8 is the way to go in a free state as it's awesome out of short barrels.  The grendel, due to better bc, is the cat's meow out to 6-700.  I'd like a grendel but not enough of a market saturation and the cheapest ammo is $6/box wolf.  if you reload, it's skys the limit

2 hours ago, 70gto said:

Thanks fellas to be honest I never built one. I suppose now would be a good time to start. I woould like the grendel in 16 as a all around one, and the creedmore to take the place of my 308 (larue) nothing wrong with it just wanted to switch calibers

Switch the barrel to a 6.5Creed...?

Just trying to clear it up:

Are you looking for two rifles?  One in 6.5Grendel and one in 6.5Creed?  Is your purpose simply to have both the AR15 and AR10 platforms covered?  If so I understand.  However, the 6.5Grendel "Magnum"(that's not a thing) is the 6.5Creedmoor.  They are, essentially, one in the same.  The Creed simply holds more powder.  If you are wanting just one, get the Creedmoor.  Great round.  If you want both, trust me, I get it.  I hate to tell you how many things I want and my buddy's go "Say what...?"  Having overlap in the firearms world, if you have more than a few guns, is pretty much a given.  

I like 22 caliber rifles.  I shoot .223 competitively.  I want a 22Creedmoor as well as a 22BR.  All shoot the same bullet.  Some shoot it faster.  That's it.  But I still want them.  

Good luck.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:46 AM, Bully said:

Just trying to clear it up:

Are you looking for two rifles?  One in 6.5Grendel and one in 6.5Creed?  Is your purpose simply to have both the AR15 and AR10 platforms covered?  If so I understand.  However, the 6.5Grendel "Magnum"(that's not a thing) is the 6.5Creedmoor.  They are, essentially, one in the same.  The Creed simply holds more powder.  If you are wanting just one, get the Creedmoor.  Great round.  If you want both, trust me, I get it.  I hate to tell you how many things I want and my buddy's go "Say what...?"  Having overlap in the firearms world, if you have more than a few guns, is pretty much a given.  

I like 22 caliber rifles.  I shoot .223 competitively.  I want a 22Creedmoor as well as a 22BR.  All shoot the same bullet.  Some shoot it faster.  That's it.  But I still want them.  

Good luck.

Yes one in 6.5 grendel in 16 inch, to bump up the range and power in a short light easy to carry and swing platform, and one in creedmore to replace my 308,  Just wanted upgrade from 556 .I will still keep the 556 and probably pass it on to my kids if this state lets me when its time. But dad wants something new with low recoil and a bigger punch.   the 6.8 vs 6.5 has merit and endless possibilities, I dont want to start that debate . Lets face it both of these rifles will outshoot me and i will never use them to their full capacity, but its like horsepower in your car, i dont need 400hp but its nice to have when its go time, which I nor any sane person would ever want a shtf scenario. (wow that went south quick) but I dont hunt but after a year of comparison of 6.8 or 6.5 its just personal preference for the 6.5 variety. I would like a 16 incher in grendel that kinda does most. the creedmore would be a dedicated longer range rifle, 2 different hammers for 2 different scenarios.  The 260 is great but the ammo cost is too much if you dont reload. 

I always wanted to, but never built one and now maybe is the time to put one together.  It seems like out of the box 16 inch grendels are tough, alexander arms makes one but I think I could make one better with what i like. wilson combat and jp enterprises, and larue ultimate upper kits are great choices too, but 18 inch is and (rightfully so because it makes sense for the caliber )are the configurations over there. its hard to explain on a public forum.  You guys got me thinking , it cant be that hard to put one together, SO what lower parts kits do you guys like, any particular ambi lower got your attention? Barrell, light profile not pencil thin and rails?,  I like longer vs shorter rails. After all there are alot of smarter people than me here so i cant screw it up that bad, i can always ask. 

PS if you feel like recommending these parts, please feel free for the grendel and creedmore as i will build both or just buy the creedmore and build the grendel or visa versa thanks, if that makes sense

AR15 based platforms are fairly easy to put together. It is my understanding there is nuance to 6.5G's to build it as intended(I have not built one myself). But moving to the large pattern platform, building is a different proposition. Its easy to spend a lot of money with abysmal results. I know more than a few very experienced people that had quite the rough go trying to get their 6.5cm/260 rem builds running and accurate.

46 minutes ago, 70gto said:

correction my fault wilson combat does make them 6.5 grendel in 16

It may have been a religious debate but I have a 6.8 SPc II and a Grendel and the Grendel is better just look at the ballistic data.  I have a 12.5” Grendel it still good, accurate and energy at distance. It’s a favorite for hunters on whitetail who can use ARs to hunt.  

4 hours ago, Shane45 said:

AR15 based platforms are fairly easy to put together. It is my understanding there is nuance to 6.5G's to build it as intended(I have not built one myself). But moving to the large pattern platform, building is a different proposition. Its easy to spend a lot of money with abysmal results. I know more than a few very experienced people that had quite the rough go trying to get their 6.5cm/260 rem builds running and accurate.

Yes i figured on the creedmore or 260 that may not be a beginner project, thats why i wouldnt mind buying a quality one out of the box, since it will be my flagship piece ,the grendel i would give it a go., 

I have an AR in 6.5. Unfortunately haven't shot it past 200 meters. Friggin loud. Lol. Impulse buy. It's fun but I don't reload. Undecided if I'm gonna keep it. 

If I were buying a creedmore I'd just grab one of the Savage or Ruger bolt guns. Shooters out of the box. Get good glass on them. 

6 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

I have an AR in 6.5. Unfortunately haven't shot it past 200 meters. Friggin loud. Lol. Impulse buy. It's fun but I don't reload. Undecided if I'm gonna keep it. 

If I were buying a creedmore I'd just grab one of the Savage or Ruger bolt guns. Shooters out of the box. Get good glass on them. 

What muzzle device do you have?

Alexander quality stuff.  The pepper pot brake is great but louder than normal.  They use them in the .50 as well.  Nice piece I’ve been shooting Grendel for about 6 years or so.  

• Like 1

I'm still a noob with the AR platform. Still learning. Have used shotguns my whole life (hunting) so rifles are still kinda of new to me. Been to range 14 with it a few times. This summer gonna have to find a place to stretch it. 

On 1/3/2019 at 1:45 PM, 70gto said:

Yes i figured on the creedmore or 260 that may not be a beginner project, thats why i wouldnt mind buying a quality one out of the box, since it will be my flagship piece ,the grendel i would give it a go., 

@70gto

GrabagunDOTcom has the Ruger American in 6.5CM in their clearance section. It has the green stock. $369. 

6 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

Does anyone make an AR in 6.5 creedmore?  Would it need a standard (5.56) lower or the AR 10 lower? 

yes there are and it requires a AR10 lower

best bet is to build one as it's the same as a 308 except for the barrel.  Of note, you want a hp bolt and bear in mind, you'll get less mileage out of your barrel as the 6.5cm eats barrels faster however, it's really the sweet spot for performance.  308 is still king and will be for a long time and especially as pricing continues to fall overall/relative to the ar15 but for accuracy at distance and required punch, 6.5cm

I'm building one as we speak.  Just found a source for aero m5 lowers for 103 shipped (stripped of course)

• Like 1

I’m not an AR10 fan—I’ve had several very nice ones but they’re heavy, more expensive to build and at least two different formats DMPS (LR308, and Armalite (AR10).  The rifles I’ve assembled were all LR308.  They were quite nice and very accurate but they were heavy and had much more punishing recoil than anything in AR15.  The Creedmor is a nice round but I’d still build an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel over any AR10 at this point.  Here’s a good article comparing the .308 to 6.5 G and it pretty well summarizes why I’ve not gone to .308 in a while.  I’m not dissing .308, it’s a competent popular round with plentiful ammo.  However, Grendel is also popular competent round with plentiful cheap ammo if you don’t reload.  At 800 yards Grendel and .308 have the same velocity due to the improved BC of the 6.5 bullets over the 30 caliber ones.

http://abesguncave.com/6-5-grendel-vs-308-the-part-everyone-misses/

Here’s a good chart showing drop.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fc5s8y6j6.stackpathcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F04%2FBullet-Drop-Comparison.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Flifeundersky.com%2F6-5-creedmoor-vs-308-winchester%2F&docid=96X35XPAJLlWOM&tbnid=-kz70RRSn3mLtM%3A&vet=1&w=600&h=279&hl=en-us&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Just MHO but I’d go, and have actually done so, AR15 in 6.5 G over AR10 in CM or .308.  

• Agree 1