Sign in to follow this  
HBecwithFn7

5G - Worth the wait?

As it so happens, my old 4G LTE smart phone (a GS5) is showing its age. It still works, and it seems to keep a full charge, but it appears to have "puffed out..." (i.e. an inflated battery.. maybe it corroded or not, I don't know). You can definitely see the expansion, even inside its Otter box casing.  Still,  it is 100% functional and, as stated, keeps a full charge.   But, for how long, I'm not sure.

Thus, the dilemma of buying a new smart phone.  But the greater dilemma being, do I stay with 4G LTE or do I wait for 5G to emerge, it being very close to release.  My experience in IT and general technology tells me to "stick with 4G LTE" and not be on the "bleeding edge" of new technologies.  I know what the new 5G technologies are supposed to do in re: capacity, speed, etc., but I also know that it's dependent on getting newer and more local towers installed (the tower range is shorter), and I'm not sure of the costs for data service on a 5G network.  Frankly, I don't use the Internet that much on my 4G LTE phone (or tablet) due to the costs.  But if that's where the future technology is going......

So, are any of you keen to move to 5G or are you likely to keep status quo for a while?   Should I wait for the 5G phones to come out (I think Samsung's  first model would be the GS10+), or should I just go for a GS9 or something like that?

I never buy the first model year of autos, I prefer to let others do the "beta testing".  The bugs in new cars can be frustrating.

My wife has gotten the latest and greatest of phones in the past, and I have listened to the complaints made regarding it.

Of course, IT folks and millennials don't seem to have much trouble working out the kinks, and I don't know what bracket you consider yourself in.

Me? I'm NOT the best example for new electronics like this,,,,,,,,I still use a flip phone. It's so old it has a dial.

Can you hear me now?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 345Sire said:

I never buy the first model year of autos, I prefer to let others do the "beta testing".  The bugs in new cars can be frustrating.

My wife has gotten the latest and greatest of phones in the past, and I have listened to the complaints made regarding it.

Of course, IT folks and millennials don't seem to have much trouble working out the kinks, and I don't know what bracket you consider yourself in.

Me? I'm NOT the best example for new electronics like this,,,,,,,,I still use a flip phone. It's so old it has a dial.

Can you hear me now?

I'd be in the IT bracket, trust me.  :D

And I agree, I don't want to "beta test" either.   But if I go with the 4G LTE phone, I'm committed to it for a long time.  I won't upgrade again for maybe 5+ years.  And by then, they're probably up to 6G.  We'll have to see.

2 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

As it so happens, my old 4G LTE smart phone (a GS5) is showing its age. It still works, and it seems to keep a full charge, but it appears to have "puffed out..." (i.e. an inflated battery.. maybe it corroded or not, I don't know). You can definitely see the expansion, even inside its Otter box casing.  Still,  it is 100% functional and, as stated, keeps a full charge.   But, for how long, I'm not sure.

So, why not just replace the battery for $10, then wait and see what new model you want in the future?

49 minutes ago, Sniper said:

So, why not just replace the battery for $10, then wait and see what new model you want in the future?

If it's a Samsung GS5 the battery is literally $10 shipped.

I agree with Sniper.  Just replace the battery.  Then you can wait and make a decision about upgrading later.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Samsung-Original-Galaxy-S5-Battery-and-Charger-Kits-non-retail-batt/2158726482?iid=232727009966&chn=ps

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

If it's a Samsung GS5 the battery is literally $10 shipped.

I agree with Sniper.  Just replace the battery.  Then you can wait and make a decision about upgrading later.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Samsung-Original-Galaxy-S5-Battery-and-Charger-Kits-non-retail-batt/2158726482?iid=232727009966&chn=ps

I'm not sure it's "just the battery."   After all, the battery (or whatever's left of it) still maintains a full charge. It could be a different component. But whatever it is, it's caused the case to be "bent out of shape.  The case and, especially the screen, is no longer flat. It's "distorted/inflated" around the 9 o'clock position as you're facing it, vertically. And the distortion can be felt on both the front and the back. Still, it works.  And as long as it does, I can use it.  I just hope it stays usable until the 5G phones come out, and 5G is available in my area. Or, perhaps, as suggested elsewhere, I can upgrade a GS9.  

Phones are computers and just like any piece of technology, shortly after you buy it, something faster and better comes out. I’d just buy a new iPhone or droid (samnsung or pixel3) and call it good. Chasing technology is impossible and you’ll drive yourself nuts in trying to do so.

5 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

I'm not sure it's "just the battery."   After all, the battery (or whatever's left of it) still maintains a full charge. It could be a different component. But whatever it is, it's caused the case to be "bent out of shape. 

The battery expansion is a common issue with the Samsungs which causes the cases to deform. Also, it could be a dangerous issue when charging it. Just a heads up.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=tXYpXIOrBoid_Qb437-oBw&q=samsung+s5+battery+expanding&oq=samsung+s5+battery+expand&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0.39793.41874..44527...0.0..0.113.636.6j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67j0i22i30.I06x-87YT-I

I upgraded to a galaxy S7 2 years ago. Battery might be starting to go, but after putting in a 128 micro SD card and freeing up the built in storage it's running a lot smoother. Battery replacement is coming up soon as it drains much quicker than a new battery (I have a newer S7 from work). My only complaint about the phone is the camera. I take lots of pictures of my kids, and that's a big part of what i use it for. Action photos aren't possible. Minimal issues when browsing, but I'm not sure if that's the network(AT&T). I'm still researching, but I'm leaning towards the Pixel 3.