TacticalITGuy

Finding Powder/Primers in NJ

Hey all I'm looking for place sin NJ that carry powder and primers? And few actually do. So far the closest place that does appears to be Garden State Armory in Warren, NJ. Which is about 45min or so from me. Does anyone know of any other locations in the Warren, Morris, Sussex that actually carries a variety? 

You will have to decide for yourself if it's worth the trip, but....  Every time I'm at E. H. Soloman's Shooter Supply in Farmingdale, there are always guys from all over NJ and parts of NY there.  Gene's shop is like a time machine.  When you step through the door, it's like being carried back to the 70's.  His prices are great, his knowledge or reloading is formidable and everything is paid for in cash.  There is no cash register and no computers there except the laptop they use for running NICS.

If you like shooting trap, go on a first or last Sunday of the month and bring your shotgun.  His shop hours are limited.  but Sunday is the best.  Trap from 9 to 1 and the shop opens at 1.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

You will have to decide for yourself if it's worth the trip, but....  Every time I'm at E. H. Soloman's Shooter Supply in Farmingdale, there are always guys from all over NJ and parts of NY there.  Gene's shop is like a time machine.  When you step through the door, it's like being carried back to the 70's.  His prices are great, his knowledge or reloading is formidable and everything is paid for in cash.  There is no cash register and no computers there except the laptop they use for running NICS.

If you like shooting trap, go on a first or last Sunday of the month and bring your shotgun.  His shop hours are limited.  but Sunday is the best.  Trap from 9 to 1 and the shop opens at 1.

Right now it wouldn't be worth the trip. My car would never make it there and back. And driving for that long is physically excruciating for me. GSA and TNT are substantially closer. Thanks though!!!

5 hours ago, PeteF said:

Ramsey outdoor in the Roxbury Mall used to have reliading supplies.  Not the best price, but they had them.  Ask at the gun counter.

I did call them over the summer. I spoke to 2 different people at 2 different times just to make sure. They only carry presses, dies, and tools etc for reloading. No primers or powder, I was a bit surprised by that. 

4 hours ago, Maksim said:

If you are buying enough... https://www.wideners.com

I did check them out, as well as Midsouth Shooters, Natchesz, and Graf&Sons and a few other places. One of them does offer a deal on 12K Fiocchi primers, twice a year. That's when it would be worth the $20+ Hazmat fee. And Hazmat fees are what keep me from ordering anything. But I did look at Outdoor Limited the other night and they charge a flat rate for Hazmat being the whole order, as opposed to Hazmat for each item which other places do. Spending $19.99 for every item in my cart puts fees at like $200 and another $30 for shipping. Need to find that balance. 

6 minutes ago, TacticalITGuy said:

I did check them out, as well as Midsouth Shooters, Natchesz, and Graf&Sons and a few other places. One of them does offer a deal on 12K Fiocchi primers, twice a year. That's when it would be worth the $20+ Hazmat fee. And Hazmat fees are what keep me from ordering anything. But I did look at Outdoor Limited the other night and they charge a flat rate for Hazmat being the whole order, as opposed to Hazmat for each item which other places do. Spending $19.99 for every item in my cart puts fees at like $200 and another $30 for shipping. Need to find that balance. 

Graf is good. 

Natchez regularly runs promos to waive hazmat but their prices are higher. 

Best to find a reloaded near you and offer to split hazmat fee. 

9 minutes ago, TacticalITGuy said:

as opposed to Hazmat for each item which other places do. Spending $19.99 for every item in my cart puts fees at like $200 and another $30 for shipping. Need to find that balance. 

Have you verified this or are you assuming?  It's my understanding that there is a per carton hazmat fee and each carton is limited by weight.  Also, not 100% sure, but I think powder and primers have to be shipped in separate cartons.

btw, you missed an excellent reloading supply sale a few weeks ago from MIdway USA.  Many powders and primers on sale with free shipping and hazmat waved.

1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

Have you verified this or are you assuming?  It's my understanding that there is a per carton hazmat fee and each carton is limited by weight.

btw, you missed an excellent reloading supply sale a few weeks ago from MIdway USA.  Many powders and primers on sale with free shipping and hazmat waved.

It' not every place it's some of the better known places charge $19.99 for each item, which ones I don't recall, it was months ago. Outdoor had me at $37 and change with hazmat and shipping for 32lbs of powder I randomly threw in my cart as a test run. That is worth it to me. And I skipped over Midways sale for reloading and took advantage of sales on everything else. I picked up, barrels, uppers, lowers, parts kits, muzzle brakes, gas tubes, BCG's, mags, and optics and sights for 4 builds. Been trying not to spend money since. Black Friday was painful. 

Midways hazmat policy.

Smokeless Powder ships directly from the Supplier. Due to safety considerations and legal/regulatory reasons Smokeless Powder may not be returned. Accurate, American Pioneer, Blackhorn, Norma and Ramshot powders ship from Warehouse A; all other powders ship from Warehouse B; Separate HazMat and Shipping Charges apply per warehouse. 48 lbs max may ship per warehouse, ground freight only, adult signature required. Shipment to Continental U.S. only.

So, if you order 30# of various IMR and Hogdon powders, there should be only 1 hazmat fee.

I'm in Morris county so there's really no place close with decent prices.

Like others I order from Midsouth Shooters when they have a "no hazmat" deal and I need powder.

Otherwise I look for places in PA or Ohio when I'm traveling with family and i stock up as I go.

Manny at the bullet hole used to carry quite a bit at eh prices.   Give them a call, don’t expect any dynamic conversation and see if they still do it.   I bought tons of components from there over many years.  

If not  sponsor a group buy from powder valley to reduce shipping and hazmat costs.  In fact keep your eyes open sometimes they have sale with no hazmat charges—brownells occasionally too.