1LtCAP

cordless impact

On 1/1/2019 at 9:53 AM, 345Sire said:

As Pete mentioned, the battery pack can be rebuilt. If you don't want to bother doing it yourself, there's a joint in Jersey called "Batteries Plus Bulbs" in a number of locations, ( I know of East Brunswick, Green brook and Union) that sell (DUH!!) batteries and bulbs, and has lots of non-typical ones, but they also will rebuild your tool batteries, re-using your cases and putting in the new cells. Not cheap, but if you don't want the hassle it's available. Beats buying the tool AND new batteries.

I bought some new cells there to rebuild my old style Paslode nailgun batteries, and they are holding up pretty well after 5 or so years.

Above sounds like a very good idea.  As your happy with current impact gun, just have the batteries rebuilt.  After they are rebuilt you'll have plenty of time to research replacement.  Maybe even rent a few different ones to see if you like them.  

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Please, aviod anything rebuilt.  Spend the money on a name brand kit and call it a day.  

Exactly... I never buy "sloppy seconds" on cars, tools or guns, or anything else. Many are called "rebuilt" for a reason.

I buy all my Milwaukee tools from CPO.  They are ALL remanufactured,  come with the same warranty,  and have never had a bad one yet.  For about 1/2 price, the M18 tools and batteries have lasted me years and years.  Not one battery has ever gone bad . Thousands and thousands of metal studs and such.  I have worn out a set of brushes on the 1/4 inch impact,  but the brush holder is only 3.80.  They look and act like new.  You cant go wrong with them.  Dont buy the yelow junk.

I switched from snap-on to dewalt 3 years ago still using my 1/2 dewalt use almost every day 18 volt. have the 1/2 drill and 1/4 impact for screws. buddy just bought 20 volt end of last summer it has more power but also larger price tag. im thinking of switching to the 20 volt I have 8 batteries and one wont charge which means the rest will follow in suit but 4 are original 4 are one year newer so it may be another year.

I have Snap-On impacts and went to the Milwaukee for 1/2”. I still use my SO 3/8 14v impact with 18v battery with good luck. I also have a 14vv smaller 3/8@ thatnis great from SO. Depends on what you’re doing. 

Hard to beat Milwaukee. Mac and Matco are rebranding the Dewalt. 

28 minutes ago, bry@n said:

I have Snap-On impacts and went to the Milwaukee for 1/2”. I still use my SO 3/8 14v impact with 18v battery with good luck. I also have a 14vv smaller 3/8@ thatnis great from SO. Depends on what you’re doing. 

Hard to beat Milwaukee. Mac and Matco are rebranding the Dewalt. 

yaknow? I'd asked my matco dealer who made their stuff. he didn't know. don't have a mac dealer, and that's ok.....only good tools I ever got from mac is their double swivel spark plug sockets. my snapon dealer stopped coming 'round about 6 years ago. guess a 1 man shop isn't good enough for him to even stop once a month...…...if I want anything snapon, I either buy second hand, or I flag down a dealer at another shop when i'm on my way somewhere...….

quick update. i bought the milwalkee impact gun. also bought a 1/2" chuck drill. the drill came with smaller batteries, but i can plug the bigger batteries from the gun into that.

i've only used the gun 1 time so far this morning. i took the new gun, and the snapon gun over to a taurus that i needed to remove the tires from. the snapon took 1 to 1.5 seconds of hammering to break the nuts loose. the milwalkee did it almost instantly. it's also higher rpm, so once broken loose, they were off the studs much quicker.

i'll post up something ore detailed after i've used it more.

i always feel like a dumbass when i ask questions like i did in the op.....but this one turned out good with tons of great info, so as always, thank you guys all for all the info and advice!!

20 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i always feel like a dumbass when i ask questions like i did in the op.....but this one turned out good with tons of great info, so as always, thank you guys all for all the info and advice!!

Where do we mail the bill for the consultation fee? :yahoo:

a month later, and the only 2 things I don't like about this thing, are the little LED light....it's frigging stupid and not necessary, and the placement of the reverse button. I've popped it a couple times when the nut hits bottom. 

the thing's a monster. it took off an axle nut that stalled my Ingersoll-Rand air gun, and my aircat airgun…...this thing just breezed it off. it was/is money well spent.