falcone

Cost of living comparison: NJ vs. Other States

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

@fishnut living where you like it is important.  Key West rarely breaks the mid 80s in temperature, the humidity isnt too bad and there is always a breeze.  I found that as long as you had large glass doors with screens and a ceiling fan you could get by fine.

I spent the last week in july and the first week in August on pidgeon key (right under the break on the old 7 mile bridge) there was no AC and only 1 fan for a bunk room with 14 people in it. Temps were mid 90s every day with 100000% humidity 

I slept( tries to anyway)on the dock every night so I got a little breeze off the water. 

The first dive (scuba) was so disappointing because the water surface temp was 89° there was no relief till 70 feet deep. 

Now I only go to flordia in the winter if I can help it. Fishing is better then anyway. 

@fishnut I actually would fish on a line in the Keys as I would actually catch something!!!!

I knew an old guy when I lived in AZ. The Park Service let him set up his RV by a well on the park.  He maintained the well in return for the Park Service letting him stay there.  He had a small generator to run a small refrigerator and that was the extent of his ability to get cook.  No AC and summertime temp up to 120 or so.  Heat didn't bother him at all.

46 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

@fishnut I actually would fish on a line in the Keys as I would actually catch something!!!!

I knew an old guy when I lived in AZ. The Park Service let him set up his RV by a well on the park.  He maintained the well in return for the Park Service letting him stay there.  He had a small generator to run a small refrigerator and that was the extent of his ability to get cook.  No AC and summertime temp up to 120 or so.  Heat didn't bother him at all.

No humidity, big difference. I can take the dry desert heat no problem as long as I have water.

1 minute ago, fishnut said:

No humidity, big difference. I can take the dry desert heat no problem as long as I have water.

Dry heat is okay when it's 90.  At 120 it feels like a pizza oven.  Your kids can't go outside and play mid day.  You have to cover your steering wheel with a white towel so you don't burn your hands. 

Okay "dry heat" ;)

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, carl_g said:

Soon to be a lot more this year after people do their taxes..

New Jersey residents are on the outs with their state.

More people moved out of the Garden State in 2018 than any other state, according to a new study by United Van Lines – though New York wasn’t far behind.

New Jersey, which topped the list of the “most moved from” states, was followed by Illinois, Connecticut and the Empire State, the moving company’s study found.

The study found that 66.8 percent of New Jersey moves were “outbound.” The percentages were 65.9 in Illinois, 62 in Connecticut, 61.5 in New York and 58.7 in Kansas, according to the study.

13 hours ago, Sniper said:

Soon to be a lot more this year after people do their taxes..

New Jersey residents are on the outs with their state.

More people moved out of the Garden State in 2018 than any other state, according to a new study by United Van Lines – though New York wasn’t far behind.

New Jersey, which topped the list of the “most moved from” states, was followed by Illinois, Connecticut and the Empire State, the moving company’s study found.

The study found that 66.8 percent of New Jersey moves were “outbound.” The percentages were 65.9 in Illinois, 62 in Connecticut, 61.5 in New York and 58.7 in Kansas, according to the study.

As this continues to happen NJ will have to get more creative in finding more ways to raise revenue which  will speedup the exit for more middle class taxpayers.  NJ politicians have to hope for another super storm to hit the state or some natural disaster so a very large aid package like what happen with Sandy can help our masters in Trenton.  Sooner or later those phat pensions are going to collapse and the'll be very little sympathy for those collecting them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Dry heat is okay when it's 90.  At 120 it feels like a pizza oven.  Your kids can't go outside and play mid day.  You have to cover your steering wheel with a white towel so you don't burn your hands. 

Okay "dry heat" ;)

Agree.

I used to say the same thing about Vegas... after all we shot USPSA nationals in 100* +

Then one time was in vegas when it hit 116.... oh f that. lol.

7 minutes ago, EX Carnival man said:

As that continues to happen NJ will have to get more creative in finding more ways to raise revenue which  will speedup the exit for more middle class taxpayers.  NJ politicians have to hope for another super storm to hit the state or some natural disaster so a very large aid package like what happen with Sandy can help our masters in Trenton.  Sooner or later those phat pensions are going to collapse and the'll be very little sympathy for those collecting them. 

I still think there are plenty of yuppies moving to NJ from NYC and are happy to pay more.Keep in mind, to New Yorkers... Fair Lawn, Hoboken, etc are CHEAP!

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, EX Carnival man said:

As that continues to happen NJ will have to get more creative in finding more ways to raise revenue which  will speedup the exit for more middle class taxpayers.

Yep... the "makers" will finally get fed up with Murphy and crew, and will leave. The ones that remain will be the "takers", who don't carry their weight and contribute. The weight of carrying these "takers" will force Murphy to jack up taxes on the remaining "makers" to obscene levels to pay the bills.... It won't be pretty.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Maksim said:

I was in Vegas and it was 113 I think.

I loved it.    I don't care what anyone says, I will take that over 90 degrees with 95% humidity every single time.

The same goes for the negative temperature.

I know a woman who was in Ohio in January 1994.   I was there too.  It was -25F.

She now lives in Alaska and routinely sees -40.   She says there is no comparison, Ohio felt much, much colder.  

10 hours ago, Maksim said:

Agree.

I used to say the same thing about Vegas... after all we shot USPSA nationals in 100* +

I still think there are plenty of yuppies moving to NJ from NYC and are happy to pay more.Keep in mind, to New Yorkers... Fair Lawn, Hoboken, etc are CHEAP!

Agree 100%. My parents home in Rutherford sold in under a month to a single oriental women with no kids.  The problem the state is going to have is the same problem us legal gun owner have in NJ. The're just not enough of us to really make a difference.  

• Like 1

My house in NJ, I pay $8K+ a year in property taxes. It’s a cape cod on a corner lot. Nice little house, but the property taxes are bloody outrageous. 

Compare and contrast....

I own a 750 acre ranch in west Texas, I paid $200/acre for it back in the 80’s, and that included the mineral rights. I have a house, barn, 2 water wells. The property is the SIZE OF THE TOWN I live in, in NJ (1 mile x 1.5 miles), and I pay $571/year in property taxes. The property is paid for, free and clear. I was offered $3500/acre for it not too long ago and turned it down. 

There are only 2 seasons, cool, and hot, but it’s a dry heat. 100° in the summer but very low humidity. Snows sometimes, but not very often. Best part, is my nearest neighbor is well over a mile away. I could shoot (and hunt, if I wanted to) from my living room. 

Wife doesn’t like being so secluded out there, so we will probably buy a house in western NC or eastern Tn. Still trying to talk her into the ranch. Either way, I CAN’T WAIT to get out of NJ!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've lived in southern Burlington County for the past 30 years.  With a 3 bedroom, two bath home on 1 acre, I'm paying $7K a year.  But considering our school system rates a "2.5" on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being outstanding) and we do not have a municipal police department, I gotta ask what are they doing with the money?  My wife and I will be retiring in 4 - 5 years so we need to find a place that's fairly close to her family and friends but will go easy on our pocket book.  Not far from the town of Ottsville, PA I saw a home identical to ours also on 1 acre for less than what I would get for my current home (meaning I come out ahead) and the taxes were $2200 (the nearest NJ town is Frenchtown, on the Delaware River).  Still have a lot of research to conduct but it will be a balancing act of:  taxes paid, health care availability, cost of groceries and fuel, and activities to do.

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

My house in NJ, I pay $8K+ a year in property taxes. It’s a cape cod on a corner lot. Nice little house, but the property taxes are bloody outrageous. 

Compare and contrast....

I own a 750 acre ranch in west Texas, I paid $200/acre for it back in the 80’s, and that included the mineral rights. I have a house, barn, 2 water wells. The property is the SIZE OF THE TOWN I live in, in NJ (1 mile x 1.5 miles), and I pay $571/year in property taxes. The property is paid for, free and clear. I was offered $3500/acre for it not too long ago and turned it down. 

There are only 2 seasons, cool, and hot, but it’s a dry heat. 100° in the summer but very low humidity. Snows sometimes, but not very often. Best part, is my nearest neighbor is well over a mile away. I could shoot (and hunt, if I wanted to) from my living room. 

Wife doesn’t like being so secluded out there, so we will probably buy a house in western NC or eastern Tn. Still trying to talk her into the ranch. Either way, I CAN’T WAIT to get out of NJ!!!

You sir are a VERY Lucky man.   I would love to own that. 

4 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

I've lived in southern Burlington County for the past 30 years.  With a 3 bedroom, two bath home on 1 acre, I'm paying $7K a year.  But considering our school system rates a "2.5" on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being outstanding) and we do not have a municipal police department, I gotta ask what are they doing with the money?  My wife and I will be retiring in 4 - 5 years so we need to find a place that's fairly close to her family and friends but will go easy on our pocket book.  Not far from the town of Ottsville, PA I saw a home identical to ours also on 1 acre for less than what I would get for my current home (meaning I come out ahead) and the taxes were $2200 (the nearest NJ town is Frenchtown, on the Delaware River).  Still have a lot of research to conduct but it will be a balancing act of:  taxes paid, health care availability, cost of groceries and fuel, and activities to do.

Its a nice place... and we considered Upper Black Eddy (same neck of woods) although it is getting up there in price now too.  The biggest downside... you are in the middle of nowhere there, despite being close to Frenchtown.  You have to drive south to the Doylestown area, west to Quakertown or North to Easton...  We found you can actually go just south of Easton/Rt 78 and have as much property, cheaper, and still close to jersey/78 if need be.