Maksim

Seeking Interest: Auction Feature For Marketplace

Auctions for Marketplace  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in adding Auctions to this to the community?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care Either Way
  2. 2. Do you foresee yourself BIDDING on Auctions?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you foresee yourself SELLING via Auctions?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Would you be interested in having Vendors/FFLs listing via Auctions?

• Yes
    • No

Happy New Year!  

Thank you as always for being members as our community hits 10 years old in just a few short months!

Question... 

What is the interest here for doing/adding auctions in addition to regular listings? ala GunBroker.

Would have to take a look at the legal ramifications if any... however you would have the ability to set up auctions to list your guns/accessories.  You determine start time, end time, starting price etc.  

Would be open to Premier members like the marketplace to list, no commissions, or regular members via one time fee (less than $5).

It would not be a simple auction via posts, but an actual system that was designed by a polish developer for his motorcycle and suv communities.

If there is commitment, I can see promoting these nationally via social media and groups, and I suppose this would get around Facebooks ban on gun sales in their marketplaces.  

Would also be interested if our Vendors have interest in listing as well.

Would there be a buyer's premium payable to the house?

Would dealers who are not NJGF Vendors be allowed to sell?

Why would anyone sell to thousands, when Gunbroker reaches millions?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PK90 said:

No buyers premiums, no fees. 

I just saw it work on a few other communities and figured why not add here. 

Would think about out of state ffl after discussing with local vendors, you are always welcome. 

37 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Btw for the no folks... discussion please

I'm kinda leaning no. Mainly because I wouldn't want to waste the time to go back and forth, waiting to see if I won.

I rather just buy, if the price/value fits my needs.

12 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I'm kinda leaning no. Mainly because I wouldn't want to waste the time to go back and forth, waiting to see if I won.

I rather just buy, if the price/value fits my needs.

I am sure there can also be a buy it now.  

Reason why I am thinking of adding auctions is that there are bidding wars OR... people really want to sell to the local community but are not sure of price and worried underpriced.

Also thinking... as a future planning tool, god forbid a member dies, spouse can auction off their guns to the community here.

31 minutes ago, PK90 said:

And don't want to compete with Gunbroker... merely to give more options to the community.

24 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Looking at other gun auction action I think very rarely does the buyer get a good deal.  Most people pay too much at auctions IMO.  Buy it now prices are usually too high from what I've seen.

Thanks for that. You are right, many gunbroker auctions I think do get bid up really high... but what's fair?  

Don't even know what Gunbroker charges right now... but my hope is, again, it is for the community.

I just recall a few years ago when a member posted a gun for sale and people were fighting about who said "i'll take it" first because it was really underpriced. 

Again just to clarify.. not looking to take away listings.. but to merely provide the mechanism that if someone wanted to, they can run an auction.

The other cool thing that can be implemented is an official "make an offer" and the member would get notified of it and can keep track in one place  versus 10 pms. 

Local NJGF members only.  The unique part is it can be done with meet-ups and no additional shipping and keeping the sale still somewhat private and personal.  Also bringing the community closer together. 

I also feel bringing the vendors (FFLs) in is kind of like having management in your union. It might be counter productive.  

Are you going to restrict it to Premier Members only?   

I like the "Offer" option.  

Often I don't really know what something is worth.  I always put "make an offer" but I think some folks are afraid of offending.  I don't take offense, ever.  However with an official offer button, it may make it more palatable for someone on the fence of making an offer to do so.  

Just my opinion.  Worth exactly what you've paid for it.  

That said, there are other tech issues that I can't get resolved and I would like to have that happen before more tech is introduced.  

Just now, Bully said:

Often I don't really know what something is worth.  I always put "make an offer" but I think some folks are afraid of offending.  I don't take offense, ever. 

Good point.  There should be no room for discussion or chatter.  PM questions only.  But how would you control private deals?

several times I have posted I will take it and even had private messages for pick up and then was told hey sold it to someone else. this recently happened again in the past two weeks. I had stopped buying while back and happened again only after couple transactions. 

I think in that aspect it would be good. 

1 minute ago, tony357 said:

several times I have posted I will take it and even had private messages for pick up and then was told hey sold it to someone else.

I'm showing my age here but, there was a time on Ebay when one could do this.  It was done so much that Ebay instituted all PMs go through them.  Gets tricky.  I would assume @Maksim would use the proper auction type software.

8 hours ago, Maksim said:

Also thinking... as a future planning tool, god forbid a member dies, spouse can auction off their guns to the community here.

As I get older , and the wife always reminds me that once i'm gone as to what she is going to do with my firearms.

I feel it is a very good idea as a way for a spouse to  be able to liquidate a firearm or firearms.And could be a big help in that sense. 

I keep a Spreadsheet of what I have , including Purchase price and Date so she could refer to that to at least get an idea of what the firearm is worth and a possible reserve price would be. 

Instead of bringing to an auction house and being charged a fee for each transaction. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, remixer said:

I dont think NJGF has the traffic for an auction to really make sense...  to have 1 or 2 bidders would make no sense... just make an offer on an item for sale.

That's what I was thinking too. Plus, this is a pretty tight knit community here, do we want to possibility start some ill will by bidding against each other. It might turn into the "eat their own" situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, remixer said:

I dont think NJGF has the traffic for an auction to really make sense...  to have 1 or 2 bidders would make no sense... just make an offer on an item for sale.

3 hours ago, remixer said:

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

That's what I was thinking too. Plus, this is a pretty tight knit community here, do we want to possibility start some ill will by bidding against each other. It might turn into the "eat their own" situation.

2 hours ago, remixer said:

If we had lets say 1000 active people posting maybe it would be worth it...

We actually have the traffic and we do have those numbers.  We have about 40k active local users... the bulk of people never register and just read and observe.

keep in mind, today, as per the community request you had to be a member to read the marketplace, so search engines never indexed those pages.

before we did that we had buyers from throughout the country.

eh, im a no....in fact i would prefer  you lock down most of the forum's from view until someone actually registers for a forum account.  With the exception of the 1st amendment area which is pwd protected, every other forum on these boards are wide open and search engine crawled as it is.  Spread out that type of firearm information/ auctions and it gets out there im sure we'll get out of state yahoos butting into our business and discussions.  I'm not against those that moved from here (actually im envious of those who escaped lol)... and still hang around and post.  I'm just worried about a bunch of other non nj folks tainting our waters so to speak.  if someone wants to auction something nationally, gunbroker is the place to go anyway, no sense trying to reinvent the wheel.  thats my 2 cents anyway.

8 hours ago, BobA said:

Local NJGF members only.  The unique part is it can be done with meet-ups and no additional shipping and keeping the sale still somewhat private and personal.  Also bringing the community closer together. 

I also feel bringing the vendors (FFLs) in is kind of like having management in your union. It might be counter productive.  

Are you going to restrict it to Premier Members only?   

Agreed. As stated in my first post local NJGF members only. 

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

We actually have the traffic and we do have those numbers.  We have about 40k active local users... the bulk of people never register and just read and observe.

Is that separate, identifiable IPs, or just page views by the same group of people?

If it's IPs, how many are by the same user, just viewing from different devices (phone, iPad, laptop, etc)?

How many of that 40k are bots and search engines?

4 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

An auction is a good idea in my opinion. Maybe it will prevent what happened to me a few years ago when the buyer says "I'll take it" and then when we meet up to finalize the sale he starts haggling for a lower price.

Did you tell him to go F O .