vladtepes

Had an accident at the range today need advice..

so like 6 or so mags in on my SBR which is basically a flame thrower.. I sit the gun down on the bench.. the thoughtful owners of the range put carpet on most of the bench tops so gun can be set down without being scratched... 

my muzzle device which was basically as hot as the surface of the sun immediately fused to said carpet... adhering itself permanently.. 
I THINK it will burn off maybe? if I run enough ammo though it.. but I can't clean it off.. its on there too good.. charred carpet.. 

so just wondering if there are any good close quarter type muzzle devices.. looking for the whole push the blast forward type devices since the barrel is so short.. 

device is also really close to the light and edge of rail.. I don't have a ton of room there.. 

whats the cool thing these days? 

shoot untill it burns off.... we can all help pull the trigger... till be fun.... if it dosnt burn off.... still fun!

seriously though, there is a chance if its synthetic carpet that its just melted to the surface and may be brittle like melted plastic.

razorblade or exact o may be able to lift pieces without much if any finish damage. 

if not then it may be wire wheel time.

i have way to much experience removing various melted things from peoples exhausts, but never where ive had to worry about finish

5 hours ago, fishnut said:

Heat it up with a lighter or torch and wipe off with a clean rag. But I'd just do mag dumps till its hot enough to wipe off. 

Agree! Use a damp rag. But be careful how hot and how cool rag. Could crack.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:16 AM, Rob0115 said:

You’re in PA get a muzzle device here and you won’t regret it.   

https://www.silencershop.com/

I don't think I can even suppress a 7.5in 5.56 gun... I think it would melt the suppressor.. 

thanks for all the other feedback... tried a heat gun and baking torch.. neither did anything.. 

39 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

I don't think I can even suppress a 7.5in 5.56 gun... I think it would melt the suppressor.. 

thanks for all the other feedback... tried a heat gun and baking torch.. neither did anything.. 

I have a 7.5” suppressed 5.56.  Not an issue with a FA rated suppressor.  Non FA may be fine too. 

well if I ever don't need a stamp for a suppressor I will consider it.. the thing I hate about the concept of buying NFA as opposed to building.. is NFA "jail" plus I plan to file two more short barrel stamps... 

for what its worth I was able to clean the remnants of the carpet off with the baking torch.. I just had to heat it up a little more and it was able to be wiped off... so good to go.. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

well if I ever don't need a stamp for a suppressor I will consider it.. the thing I hate about the concept of buying NFA as opposed to building.. is NFA "jail" plus I plan to file two more short barrel stamps... 

for what its worth I was able to clean the remnants of the carpet off with the baking torch.. I just had to heat it up a little more and it was able to be wiped off... so good to go.. 

I understand what you’re saying but shooting suppressed is well worth the effort.  I think they shouldn’t be NfA teams either but I love shooting suppressed.   I’m also going through the process now to get a machine gun.   I found a full auto styer aug but may still with a m11/9.  

5 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I understand what you’re saying but shooting suppressed is well worth the effort.  I think they shouldn’t be NfA teams either but I love shooting suppressed.   I’m also going through the process now to get a machine gun.   I found a full auto styer aug but may still with a m11/9.  

I built the 7.5in with the hopes of suppressing it one day.. but my another concern is clearing the handgaurd.. I am not sure what suppressor I could use that would work.. 

7in handgaurd 7.5in barrel.. so it is like right there.. 

8 hours ago, vladtepes said:

I built the 7.5in with the hopes of suppressing it one day.. but my another concern is clearing the handgaurd.. I am not sure what suppressor I could use that would work.. 

7in handgaurd 7.5in barrel.. so it is like right there.. 

New hand guard with a 1.5” inside diameter. It will cover the suppressor. Make it longer than the barrel, so the suppressor looks integral.

Something like this*:

HeGxM01.jpg

* Random 7.5” SBR photo from the internets.

Plus, as a bonus you just got a longer handguard on your rifle so you aren’t so crunched up.

Yggo62A.gif

8 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

If you get a M11 instead of a full auto AUG, I will drive down there and slap the shit out of you.

Just sayin’...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

New hand guard with a 1.5” inside diameter. It will cover the suppressor. Make it longer than the barrel, so the suppressor looks integral.

Something like this*:

HeGxM01.jpg

* Random 7.5” SBR photo from the internets.

Plus, as a bonus you just got a longer handguard on your rifle so you aren’t so crunched up.

Yggo62A.gif

I want to avoid that because with the length now it fits in my backpack and I carry it some times.. 

On 1/1/2019 at 11:47 PM, vladtepes said:

so just wondering if there are any good close quarter type muzzle devices.. looking for the whole push the blast forward type devices since the barrel is so short..

First I'm glad you got the rug off. Most firearms don't need toupees. :icon_e_wink:

I have one of these:   https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/11/jeremy-s/gear-review-blast-forwarding-device-bfd-indian-creek-design/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Creek-BFD-XL-Blast-Forwarding-Device-With-Mount/263867065105?hash=item3d6fb3e311:m:mT7s_eYS84-kZdKjezIT1zQ:rk:1:pf:0

and I have found it to be pretty effective at pushing the noise forward. The guys I was with agreed, as they were next to me and in a good position to tell about the gasses. 

I can't swear it will stop you from trying out other wigs, but,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck.:good:

6 hours ago, High Exposure said:

If you get a M11 instead of a full auto AUG, I will drive down there and slap the shit out of you.

Just sayin’...

The AuG is less too.  I have a consumer aug love it so I thought I’d consider the FA.  Under fear of having the shit slapped out me consider the AUG moved to the top of the list.  Lol.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1