Vicious

Where are the Colt SAA’s?

Like trying to find a unicorn. I remember a few years back watching these gather dust on shelves. Now that I want one, I can’t seem to find it. I know Colt made cuts in the custom shop, but are they down to one of these a year?

I’m looking for a SAA with 5.5” barrel in .45 Colt. Anyone seen one laying around somewhere that’s not 3k+?

Lmao, it is purdy though.

Poor QC on 2 Rugers I owned left a bad taste in my mouth, so Ruger is out. Plus I don't like the transfer bar. That leaves the Italians. I think Uberti has some kind of safety now too, so I would have to do Pietta. Just not fun for me though. This would be my third Colt. Love or hate them, I like their guns. They are not the best, but they are Colt.

I like the black powder frame, but I like the smokeless 3rd gen just as much. The smaller cylinder window appeals to me than the Uberti's. I think some of the Pietta's have the same measurements, but the CCH is not that nice.

Long story short, I will accept no substitutes.

@Bully that pistol is a little worse for wear. I actually like it a bit, but it would take some work to get it looking the way I would want and I don’t want to low ball the guy.

@myhatinthering I may end up going that route with a Cimmaron or Taylor’s Uberti/Pietta import.

1 hour ago, Vicious said:

@Bully that pistol is a little worse for wear. I actually like it a bit, but it would take some work to get it looking the way I would want and I don’t want to low ball the guy.

@myhatinthering I may end up going that route with a Cimmaron or Taylor’s Uberti/Pietta import.

If I stumble across something I'll check back in.  I'm up and down the web looking for things I can't afford and won't use all the time.  

Make an account on Proxibid. It has online auctions throughout the US, and I have seen plenty of Colt SAA revolvers for sale. You can bid online, just remember there is a 10-23% buyers premium depending upon auction house that is added to your bid price. Many times things go pretty high, but there can be deals found.

• Like 1

@W2MC that is not a real Colt SAA. No hammer mounted firing pin, completely different internals. I would say over priced for what it is.

@amish869 I have been looking into the Standard SA, and I have reached out to the company. They seem high quality and are very nice. I came close to ordering one, but there were a few factors that made me want a Colt over the Standard.

@pasu0115 I'm going to have to look into this proxy bid thing.

16 hours ago, Vicious said:

I have an uberti, nothing closer to the real thing and mine is a 4 clicker.  common misconception is that Ruger is stronger but that has been dispelled.  At less than $40, cimmaron is a no brainer here

As I said, I may go that route. I was browsing on Cimmaton's site, and I saw a Pietta artillery model that I like. I'm going to put in for new permits. When they come in I will purchase whatever I can get my hands on. Maybe I'll look into getting an M1A for now.

I was really hoping to add another Pony to the stable.

2 hours ago, Bully said:

I know you said you don't really want one, but...

The Mosin Crate has a Vaquero 45Colt for 499.  It goes on sale tomorrow.

Looking at it right now, and it is very tempting... it’s a beautiful gun. I just don’t think it will satisfy the itch... I think the Pietta would come closer.

7 hours ago, Vicious said:

Looking at it right now, and it is very tempting... it’s a beautiful gun. I just don’t think it will satisfy the itch... I think the Pietta would come closer.

You're talking to someone that completely understands.  

I have been watching auctions on gunbroker. I have decided I am going for a Colt 3rd gen with removable cylinder bushing. The CCH is absolutely beautiful on them. So bright, with a tan background and then different blues, purples and pinks all mixed in there. Looks almost like a custom job out of Turnbull.

If I can not land a minty one for under 2k, I’m going to order from Standard Manufacturing. I really do want a pony though.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 8:30 PM, Screwball said:

Nope, Long Hunter Shooter Supply.

Ruger is ok in my book, but not willing to give them gunsmith work. If they can’t do a conversion cylinder for a gun that is available in both .45 ACP and .45 Colt, screw them.

Ruger does, or at least did a .45 ACP/.45 Colt conversion. I have one with 4 5/8" barrel. 9mm/.357 Mag conversion too. Did have minor issues with each one early on, but Ruger fixed them both and no problems since.

8 hours ago, njpilot said:

Ruger does, or at least did a .45 ACP/.45 Colt conversion. I have one with 4 5/8" barrel. 9mm/.357 Mag conversion too. Did have minor issues with each one early on, but Ruger fixed them both and no problems since.

Very aware of that, being the revolver I posted is a .45 convertible.

The one I’m talking about is a 3.75” barrel Talo exclusive. Birdshead grip... which comes in either .45 Colt or ACP. Asked them if they could do a conversion cylinder... nope.

If I get one, I’ll have someone else do a conversion cylinder, and then bead blast it to match. But Ruger’s gunsmith will not touch those, due to that policy.

3 hours ago, remixer said:

Iv only seem a couple of the Colt's in the 8 years iv been a dealer.....

That does not bode well for me, buddy.

4 hours ago, Screwball said:

Very aware of that, being the revolver I posted is a .45 convertible.

The one I’m talking about is a 3.75” barrel Talo exclusive. Birdshead grip... which comes in either .45 Colt or ACP. Asked them if they could do a conversion cylinder... nope.

If I get one, I’ll have someone else do a conversion cylinder, and then bead blast it to match. But Ruger’s gunsmith will not touch those, due to that policy.

I am aware of those Rugers and especially the convertible feature.

If I were to settle on a clone, this is the Ruger I would get:

https://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroStainless/specSheets/5141.html

Possibly the 4 inch.