MichaelDiggs

Paint coming off H&K VP9

This is the last thing I thought would happen to such a nice pistol. My VP9's chamber indicator is starting to turn all red. Like the black paint is coming right off. I figured this would never happen to a great pistol like this and heck, I take care of all my weapons really well too. I never use harsh chemicals so I have no idea why this would be happening. I did take a picture. Maybe I should replace that whole black piece if I'm able to get it.  I took a picture and you will see what I'm talking about. Isn't there some kind of special blue/black paint I can use? I do have a small can of that special paint called aluminum black. Some kind of touch up paint I never used. Still sealed in the bottle. Anyone recommend I use that aluminum black on this piece of metal?

VP9 paint.jpg

Is it peeling? or something growing on it?

Honestly, would just leave it as it is... no reason to paint it as if it gets in the wrong space... can impede the function of it.

If it really bothers you... contact HK, I am sure they can send out a new one. 

Also, how do you store the gun?  Is it foam case around?  If it is oxidation/rust... very common for north east for guns kept in box, in safe, in basement... without dehumidifier.

My Springfield XD was sent in to Springfield for a brand new refinish when the first gens had huge rust issues.   That is almost what it looks like with the extractor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

replace the extractor for finish wear?

no

you need to run a few courses or matches with it, get some good holster wear on it! thatll make it prettier! :laugh:

seriously, wear tells a story

but i also think BFPU is cool, but being used hard enough to look like that by you is cooler

I was not aware H&K was known for that. I do believe that a nice wear and tear gives each piece its own special look. Figured since this was a top and very popular piece H&K would use better paint on their gear. Specially for what you pay for a 9mm. I love the gun, it is one of the most comfortable pieces I own and fits in my hand like a glove.

Thanks for the suggestions, in the end I'm just going to keep it the way it is. Just like my AR's, scratched up and beat up a little bit. Gives them a unique look.  :)

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

That's HK Quality right there.

C’mon man HK makes nice firearms.  I had my Mark 23 at the range the other day and it’s stunningly accurate.  

4 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Just buy a new extractor. Or send the extractor out to be refinished, maybe NP3'd. You can probably find custom finished extractors on ebay.  Regular paint won't work.

If memory serves NP3 would not be a suitable solution for an extractor. There are embrittlement issues with small parts. Function first.

The extractor is heat treated to a hardness that works best. How it looks after use is not really part of the equation. This is a bit like being concerned your tank got a scratch on it. If you want an heirloom or gun art, look at something like a Cabot or Heirloom precision.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

If memory serves NP3 would not be a suitable solution for an extractor. There are embrittlement issues with small parts. Function first.

The extractor is heat treated to a hardness that works best. How it looks after use is not really part of the equation. This is a bit like being concerned your tank got a scratch on it. If you want an heirloom or gun art, look at something like a Cabot or Heirloom precision.

People have entire guns NP3'd including extractors, with no issues. NP3 is just one option of many that I just threw out there. 

Here's another option. Pull the extractor out and polish it.

I keep a dehumidifier running in my basement of my house (raised ranch). I set it to 35% and it has a pump with a hose going to a sink drain. Inside my safe I keep one of the blue bead dehumidifiers for closets. Being that I regulate the room itself, I only have to recharge the bead dehumidifier every other month or so. I store powder and primers inside the safe and whatever I have opened outside on my bench. You'll learn much more about dehumidifiers if read this article, I found it useful.

NONE of my HKs have that problem. My oldest carry, carried a long time, an HK USP Compact 45, almost 23 years old is still tip top.Yes, I use them and carry them. HKs are my all time favs next to 1911s and Sigs. For you folks that say its a known problem, first I heard of it being a known problem. I've seen some fade but not chip off. 

Looking at the barrel block, looks caked with grime and such. How often do you clean it? What do you use.

Options:

- Buff it down to bare metal. 
- Use Casey Gun black pen.
- Alum Black is only for Aluminum as it is not paint but a chemical reaction.
- Buy a new one.