1LtCAP

home air filtration systems?

ok. been noticing a LOT of dust accumulation lately. I can't seem to control it. seems mostly since i'v e adopted my doggie. 

anyway.....it'd be easy if I had forced air hvac, but I don't. I feel like there HAS to be some sort of stand-alone system I can install myself relatively easily. I've been posting a bunch of what I feel like are stupid questions lately....but there's a ton of knowledge here on this board. 

anyone got any suggestions?

Whole home in one unit? No, not without ductwork and an air handler. You wont get the air flow from.the rooms further from the filter. Just get a few room size hepa filters and put one in each room. 

I heat my house with wood and forced hot air. Burning wood creates allot of dust, I added an Aprilair air purifier on my furnace and that helped. Then I added a few hepa filter air purifiers and adding them made a big difference. 

The replacement filters can get pricey if you go through them allot. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VGIGVY/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_GFTlCb4YXW6BB

this is what we put in our bedroom and our daughters. 

it would almost seem that if I were to put one of those in the living room, one in the bedroom, and maybe one in the kitchen...…..

my house is less than 1,000 square feet. I was also considering(don't laugh dammit) running a couple old box fans with a heap filter from a central air unit taped to them...….

Without central HVAC, you're limited to room filters.

I got one of these for my eventual smoking room/area.  But they do really well for regular dust/dander/etc.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A9JHB2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

43 minutes ago, Howard said:

Install a Big Ass Fan - https://www.bigassfans.com/fans/essence/  It will create such a wind storm it will just blow everything out of the house - perhaps even you and the dog :)

Don't forget mom, it might blow her out too.

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

it would almost seem that if I were to put one of those in the living room, one in the bedroom, and maybe one in the kitchen...…..

my house is less than 1,000 square feet. I was also considering(don't laugh dammit) running a couple old box fans with a heap filter from a central air unit taped to them...….

You’ll cook the motors, but they are pretty cheap.

2 hours ago, Howard said:

Install a Big Ass Fan - https://www.bigassfans.com/fans/essence/  It will create such a wind storm it will just blow everything out of the house - perhaps even you and the dog :)

ha! there's not a single room in my house big enough to even fit one of those, lololol

1 hour ago, Handyman said:

You’ll cook the motors, but they are pretty cheap.

i've got 1 box fan that i've had since something like 1969 or thereabouts....was gonna try with that first....maybe better.....

23 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i've got 1 box fan that i've had since something like 1969 or thereabouts....was gonna try with that first....maybe better.....

Skip the filter - just stick it in a window and blow the dust outside.

Make sure your vacuum is hepa filtered.

10 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Skip the filter - just stick it in a window and blow the dust outside.

Make sure your vacuum is hepa filtered.

in the summer i would. in the winter? not possible. i hadn't thought about that filter for the vacuum

So no central anything, ok. Do you have any air conditioners? You can run those without the cooling, most have a "fan only" setting, and most also have a "recirculate" setting to not bring in outside air in the winter.  

Swap out the "standard" air filter it came with for one from the forced air type, even if you need to trim it to fit, and I believe you'll accomplish what you want.

No A.C. units?  There are stand-alone room filters, but most likely you'd need more than one, even with only 1,000 sq. ft.

Shave the dog? :mutley:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

in the summer i would. in the winter? not possible. i hadn't thought about that filter for the vacuum

I was in an apartment once in the Midwest that had radiators. I had a window open with a fan blowing out 24/7 for months. I packed the frame around it with towels. No cold air got in. But you’re probably right, might not be good for a small house. It would probably suck cold air down the chimney to replace the warm air you blow out.

When I finally took the thing out the window screen looked like a furnace filter.

17 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

ok. been noticing a LOT of dust accumulation lately. I

Well, since mom's just hanging around, maybe you can get her to earn her keep, and let her do some dusting... Just a thought.... :icon_e_confused:

so much for my ghetto rig on the 50 old fan. it worked when I took it outta the window last spring. doesn't now. motor feels really tight, and doesn't sound very healthy when I get it moving. no brick n mortor stores.....home depot or lowes at least....have any of them. I won't order one online 'cause this is only supposed to be a stopgap till I figure out something better....like the purifiers you guys linked. 

@1LtCAP:

I have access to a lightly used Oreck XL Air Purifier... last I know of it was working fine. Do you want it? You can have it for nothing. You can either make arrangements to pick it up in Bridgewater --- or we can pass it through a few posters on here to get it to a closer pick-up location for you.

It looks kind of like this one, but it's not the flat black... it has a shiny woodgrain finish:  

https://www.amazon.com/Oreck-Commercial-Professional-Woodgrain-Tabletop/dp/B00152RADC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1546656322&sr=8-7&keywords=oreck+xl+air+purifier

PM me if you're interested.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:50 PM, BobA said:

Wouldn’t it be easier to just lay off the Mexican food?

aaahahaahahahahaha

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, Zeke said:

Meanwhile he has that filter now. Delivered by a bunch of elves. Currently 

yes. thank you ALL!!!!! 

i'm a pretty lucky mofo. got good friends, stable'ish job, and good family(with one exception)