Underdog

22 Thoughts

Happy New Year!   I have been thinking a little about 22 semi-autos.  I have to admit that I think the S&W Victory is a good looking "budget" 22.  It looks like a sweet firearm, and with an upgraded Tandemkross trigger it might be a very nice plinker.  Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with these firearms?   It seems like there are more and more options available for them such as match barrel, and I imagine nice grips would also sweeten the deal.  What do you think about needing a wrench for the take-down?  I have heard that you can get a 2-3 pound trigger with the upgrade and that the trigger can be set very nicely with screws for travel adjustment.  Any thoughts how they compare to the Ruger Marks, such as the stock triggers, and in particular to the 22/45 Lite and the Mark III Hunter?  Or how they compare to the Buckmark? 

Has anybody seen any  good deals on older Ruger Marks now that there is competition with the S&W Victory and the newer easier to clean Ruger Mark IV?  I imagine that it would cost more to upgrade the trigger on a Ruger than on the S&W Victory.  How easily is it to update the Ruger trigger and how well does it work?  I don't really like cleaning the Rugers,  but for me once you learn how to do it the take-down isn't that bad.  Does anybody have experience with the upgrade kit from Majestic Arms for the older Rugers to make the take-down and cleaning easier?   

Additionally, for me there are categories for 22 handguns that need to be checked.  The first is a Revolver.  I like the S&W 617 but it is just too big.  My favorite choice would be the Model 63, however he finish wasn't the best for a S&W.  The Ruger SP101 is probably the best value all around.

The Second Category would be a target pistol.  In the budget range, I think an upgraded S&W Victory would be my first choice.  Buckmarks have a following, but I just cannot get into them and I don't like the gold trigger.  I actually prefer the Ruger Marks in looks over the Buckmark, but I like the Buckmark action better.  I would love to find an old Colt Woodsman or Browning Challenger/Nomad or S&W Model 41 some time.  

Next would be a fun training gun.  I think the S&W M&P 22 and M&P 22 Compacts fit the bill nicely.  A Glock with a 22 conversion barrel such as the Advantage Arms would be a good choice as well.  For fun and versatility the nod would go to the M&P 22 Compact.  Do any of you like the S&W M&Ps?  Which one would you prefer?

What do you guys think?  If you had to limit yourself to 4 or 5 22LR handguns for versatility, what would you choose?

Mine would be the following:

1. S&W Model 63 kit gun or Ruger SP101

2.  S&W M&P 22 Compact or S&W M&P 22 full size

3.  S&W Victory with upgraded trigger or Ruger Mark IV

4.  Ruger 22/45 Lite

5. NAA Sidewinder chambered in 22 Magnum and 22 LR.

If I had to pick just one, it would be a double-action revolver.  The second would be the 22/45 Lite Mark IV.

Other 22s I like are any NAA models.  Browning 1911, S&W Model 617, Ruger Mark II Target, CZ75 22LR model and the Ruger LCR in 22LR.  

I do enjoy my Walther P22 Target. Price wasn't bad at all. Slightly longer barrel than the normal P22 with a stabilizer. Ergonomics are fantastic (unless you have large hands). I've heard it can be finicky with ammo but since I just use mini-mags on my .22s, no big deal. Perfect beginner gun IMO.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Happy New Year!   I have been thinking a little about 22 semi-autos.  I have to admit that I think the S&W Victory is a good looking "budget" 22.  It looks like a sweet firearm, and with an upgraded Tandemkross trigger it might be a very nice plinker.  Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with these firearms?   It seems like there are more and more options available for them such as match barrel, and I imagine nice grips would also sweeten the deal.  What do you think about needing a wrench for the take-down?  I have heard that you can get a 2-3 pound trigger with the upgrade and that the trigger can be set very nicely with screws for travel adjustment.  Any thoughts how they compare to the Ruger Marks, such as the stock triggers, and in particular to the 22/45 Lite and the Mark III Hunter?  Or how they compare to the Buckmark? 

Has anybody seen any  good deals on older Ruger Marks now that there is competition with the S&W Victory and the newer easier to clean Ruger Mark IV?  I imagine that it would cost more to upgrade the trigger on a Ruger than on the S&W Victory.  How easily is it to update the Ruger trigger and how well does it work?  I don't really like cleaning the Rugers,  but for me once you learn how to do it the take-down isn't that bad.  Does anybody have experience with the upgrade kit from Majestic Arms for the older Rugers to make the take-down and cleaning easier?   

Additionally, for me there are categories for 22 handguns that need to be checked.  The first is a Revolver.  I like the S&W 617 but it is just too big.  My favorite choice would be the Model 63, however he finish wasn't the best for a S&W.  The Ruger SP101 is probably the best value all around.

The Second Category would be a target pistol.  In the budget range, I think an upgraded S&W Victory would be my first choice.  Buckmarks have a following, but I just cannot get into them and I don't like the gold trigger.  I actually prefer the Ruger Marks in looks over the Buckmark, but I like the Buckmark action better.  I would love to find an old Colt Woodsman or Browning Challenger/Nomad or S&W Model 41 some time.  

Next would be a fun training gun.  I think the S&W M&P 22 and M&P 22 Compacts fit the bill nicely.  A Glock with a 22 conversion barrel such as the Advantage Arms would be a good choice as well.  For fun and versatility the nod would go to the M&P 22 Compact.  Do any of you like the S&W M&Ps?  Which one would you prefer?

What do you guys think?  If you had to limit yourself to 4 or 5 22LR handguns for versatility, what would you choose?

Mine would be the following:

1. S&W Model 63 kit gun or Ruger SP101

2.  S&W M&P 22 Compact or S&W M&P 22 full size

3.  S&W Victory with upgraded trigger or Ruger Mark IV

4.  Ruger 22/45 Lite

5. NAA Sidewinder chambered in 22 Magnum and 22 LR.

For the target category, Zeke has the right idea...any of the high-end competition .22's are marvels of engineering and function.  But among the more affordable offerings, the S&W Victory has the best trigger--really impressive for that price point.  The Rugers have the best site picture with the stock iron sights, but they've gone from adjustable rear sights requiring microscopic screwdrivers to adjust (bad) to adjustable rears requiring microscopic allen wrenches (worse).   Sights and triggers can, of course, be changed out, with Rugers having the greatest range of aftermarket parts available.  The ergonomics of the Buckmark never worked for me, but they do have a following.

In the used market, The S&W 41 you mention, or some of the original High Standard target pistols are also worth a look--though I'd want a chance to test fire any of the used guns before committing.

Eventually, I want to pick up an older High Standard. It isn’t something that will be an NJ purchase, but they are decent pistols. I might swap that for another C&R gun... but will depend on what I find when I start looking/have money.

Funny to see this thread... as I actually just found my Mark III Target in the back of the safe last night. I always forgot about that damn pistol... but actually going to start shooting it more. I do own a NAA Sidewinder Convertible... more of a s***s and giggles gun. I likely will get a Ranger II, again... s***s and giggles.

Getting it out of the way, I’m only a fan of one conversion; CZ Kadet. Just a very well rounded kit, and is both reliable and accurate. I hear mixed things with Glock kits, Ciener was ok with my Beretta (didn’t like the D slide, sold it for what I paid), and SIG is a walk away. 1911 ones... depends on which (ones that mimic the Kadet, I’ve heard better reports than stuff like Kimber). The Kadet kit is definitely a worthwhile purchase if you own a CZ that takes it.

For the Ruger, it isn’t too hard to take apart... if you do it once or twice. I’ve had that gun sitting in that safe for about six years, and taking it apart last night wasn’t extremely difficult. Had to get the hammer strut situated, and all good. Supposedly easier if you pull out the magazine disconnect, which I’m 50/50 on doing. LCI... that is gone (cut my finger on it last night).

Volquartsen extractor and firing pin are likely upgrades. Probably their mainspring housing, to get rid of that damn lock (and keys sitting in the box). Trigger... I’m sort of going to say screw it and leave stock. I did that with my 10/22, and while it was awesome... I don’t think it was worth it. I will probably get a Ruger stainless trigger (has an overtravel stop), only because I like the look of full stainless.

Personally, I really don’t care about the Mark IV changes. Definitely not enough to switch pistols. The Mark III is good, even if you need to do a little work. Prices should be lower... but like the 10/22 and other guns with huge aftermarket, look out for shotty work.

I’m not too knowledgeable on the Victory, but not too big of a modern S&W fan. Buckmark... another pistol with a following. But like the S&W, not that much knowledge of them.

I picked up a Ruger MK IV Hunter back in Nov.  I plan on shooting steel challenge matches with it once I get some more trigger time on it. Love the feel and weight of it. Take down for cleaning is awesome.Trigger is good but I see guys installing Volquartsen trigger kits on them. Rear site is v-notch which I don’t like and will be changing out soon.  Fiber on front which I like. Ambi mag drop which is easy to remove right button if you don’t like/ need it. I see a lot of them at the matches.

I looked into the Victory which does seem to be good bang for the buck.

Heard great things about the Buckmark. But the Ruger fit me for what I was looking for and looking to spend.