Riflemandude

Is the ATI STG-44 .22LR Legal?

Hey guys, I was hoping for some input from you pro's about a gun law question I am trying to figure out. (Feel free to scroll down for the Tl;DR)

So I was in PA and went to a range and they had one of those ATI GSG STG-44 .22LR rifles. The gun looks like a ton of fun as a plinker but I am curious as to whether or not it would be legal to own one in New Jersey. Now I understand that the 24 round magazine is an absolute no-go, but would this particular firearm (Magazine aside) be considered an assault rifle? 

Under New Jersey law, a firearm is classified as an "assault firearm" if it meets the following criteria:[23]

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and at least two of the following:
- Folding or telescoping stock
- Pistol grip
- Bayonet mount
- Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
- Grenade launcher mount

So I know it has an pistol grip, but does it have a threaded barrel? It doesn't have a folding/telescoping stock, bayonet mount, nor a grenade launcher mount. I believe the end does screw off but does that automatically make it a threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor? Or does it screw off just to replace that part should it break and it would not be considered a threaded barrel? I would still consider myself a novice with all the technicalities and I wouldn't want to land myself in any hot water. Any input would be great!

TL;DR: Is the ATI STG-44 .22LR considered an "Assault Rifle" in NJ? (Magazine capacity aside because they make compliant magazines)

Thanks again and God bless!

On 1/6/2019 at 9:08 PM, PK90 said:

There was a ban compliant model, but you'd be hard pressed to find one now. I'd have to look up my records, but I would guess they came out 10 years ago or more. I could be wrong.

I am wrong. Sold my first GSG-STG44 in December of 2012. Dealer price then was $486. I don't remember modifying any of those.