mjhvn

Importing Firearms

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have questions about importing Firearms into the US. I plan to do to import 2 handguns probably by the end of the year. I plan to import from Switzerland. I just want to know the overall cost roughly and the breakdown of it and if anyone knows good importer for collector pieces that would be great. Not trying to get a billboard on guns I get imported. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Maksim said:

I assume these guns are not readily available here now?  Where others like them imported before?

I believe this was discussed here earlier but will see what I can find. 

They're not readily available in the US but they are available it's mostly about getting unique matching parts ( just spare non-matching holsters, magazines or whatever cost a lot) also there's a potential but small cost-saving factor. I don't pop up in the forums as often as I would like so I might just miss the whole discussion on importation particularly about handguns.

Yes

46 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

Importing is somewhat complicated and expensive. Are these former military handguns?

Since I don't own the guns yet there are many versions of firearms civilian and government (they are the same just ones sold to the government and ones sold to the civilian) government being police and military. I for sure want government models and hope to get former military handguns. They are legal in NJ. Capitcity on standard magazines are low for both. I have seen them imported into by a few companies but not so common because of low importation and low production.

4 minutes ago, Damjan said:

Try talking to Griffin and Howe, they do services like importing in NJ

Possibly  Brownells.com  as well. 

http://griffinhowe.com/import-export/

I asked them they said they only import long arms. I didn't try Brownells so look at that was just wondering if anyone imported before and had any recommendations/tips. I not so concerned with the importer being in the state just trying to get all the information I can and to have an easy smooth transaction.

I'm not an expert on importing firearms but I believe any firearms that was ever owned by any military must go through an 08 importer (not including pre 1899 antiques).  There is a method to import non military firearms without an importer but I think there are limitations on what can be imported and how many times a person can do that type of import. All firearms must also meet the "Sporting Purpose" definition in the GCA of 1968.

I don't think Brownells is an 08 importer. Contact MMBI, they will do small imports of 1 or 2 guns at the most reasonable rates I have seen and have exporters (which you will probably also need) set up in many European countries.

https://mmbimports.com/

5 hours ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

I'm not an expert on importing firearms but I believe any firearms that was ever owned by any military must go through an 08 importer (not including pre 1899 antiques).  There is a method to import non military firearms without an importer but I think there are limitations on what can be imported and how many times a person can do that type of import. All firearms must also meet the "Sporting Purpose" definition in the GCA of 1968.

I don't think Brownells is an 08 importer. Contact MMBI, they will do small imports of 1 or 2 guns at the most reasonable rates I have seen and have exporters (which you will probably also need) set up in many European countries.

https://mmbimports.com/

Thanks the firearms I plan to import meet all requires just that I do believe I need a ffl08. I couldn't find anything on the Brownells website but I did email mmbimports.

1 hour ago, vjf915 said:

You wouldn't happen to be active duty military, or know someone that's active duty would you?

No I'm not. I'm just a college student who also works and I'm  firearms enthusiasts and collector. Shoot sometimes but not as much as I would like. I do have family that served just not active and no one I know personally who is active.

I "imported" some firearms about a year ago while active duty.  Very easy.  Simply fill out an ATF form and send it in, get it about 90 days later and that's all you need.  If you can think of anyone, that may be an option.

31 minutes ago, vjf915 said:

I "imported" some firearms about a year ago while active duty.  Very easy.  Simply fill out an ATF form and send it in, get it about 90 days later and that's all you need.  If you can think of anyone, that may be an option.

Thanks for the information. I don't think I know anyone active but if someone pops in mind I'll remember this.