Heronimo42

.22 help

Hi All:

Newbie, so please be kind.  I purchased a .22 M&P Compact as my first .22.  Purchased compact as my wife and son will also be training with this gun.  It's a good enough .22, but it's just too small for my hands and I can't get comfortable with it.  So looking for a full-size .22 for myself.  I'm looking for something that feels solid and quality.  I'll be firing CCI 40-grain high velocity ammo.  Looked at some of the full 1911 style, don't mind the heavier weights.  Any recommendations?  I've read about the Umarex made guns, and while it may be a case of over-researching the internet, but thought is to avoid those.  Large Ruger SR22 is in play at this point.  Thanks in advance.

Steve

The gsg 1911 22 is a decent gun for the money, same size and controls as a real 1911 but it's aluminum so it doesn't have that fell like a steel 1911. I think they are right around $300, mine runs almost any ammo 100%, cci's are 100%.

The only 22 I know to stay away from is the Sig mosquitoe. 

1 hour ago, Heronimo42 said:

I'll be firing CCI 40-grain high velocity ammo.

No one else mentioned this, so I will. I'm no firearms expert (by any stretch of the imagination), so if I'm wrong I'm sure others will quickly correct me. I realize that's probably the ammo you have in stock already, but one of the fascinating things I've learned about guns in the last couple of years is that certain guns (especially 22's) "like" certain ammo more than others. They can be finicky. So, just stay flexible! Buy the gun you like, but be aware... if you are getting misfires, etc. you should be willing to test a few different types of ammo in it to see what works best for that particular gun. 

So what... you might end up with 2 brands of .22lr ammo on your shelf? That's not the worst thing in the world. :) My apologies if you already knew this, but since you're new I thought it was worth mentioning! Good luck with your purchase. Come back on and let us know what you got! We all seem to get a little vicarious thrill from others' purchases. :D

• Agree 1

Since you are looking for a larger frame, you can also look at a larger caliber handgun in 9mm or 45acp and get the manufacturers 22lr conversion kit. Just about all of the major brands have them. Same frame, different slide and mags that you swap out in less than a minute. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

No one else mentioned this, so I will. I'm no firearms expert (by any stretch of the imagination), so if I'm wrong I'm sure others will quickly correct me. I realize that's probably the ammo you have in stock already, but one of the fascinating things I've learned about guns in the last couple of years is that certain guns (especially 22's) "like" certain ammo more than others. They can be finicky. So, just stay flexible! Buy the gun you like, but be aware... if you are getting misfires, etc. you should be willing to test a few different types of ammo in it to see what works best for that particular gun. 

So what... you might end up with 2 brands of .22lr ammo on your shelf? That's not the worst thing in the world. :) My apologies if you already knew this, but since you're new I thought it was worth mentioning! Good luck with your purchase. Come back on and let us know what you got! We all seem to get a little vicarious thrill from others' purchases. :D

Thank you!  Not tied to that particular ammo- just thought that the heavier grain and higher velocity would help offset reloading issues.  I'll gladly try anything that works for that gun.  Cheap enough that I can experiment until I find the right one.  

1 hour ago, SmittyMHS said:

Consider 2 for the price of one. Well, kinda. Get something that you can add a .22 kit to. I have a Beretta 92 and added the kit. One permit.Two guns. Same feel. Win win!

Never thought about this!  Thank you for the suggestion.  I'll look into it.

Personally, I’m not a fan of .22 conversions. Had a Ciener kit for my Beretta, and while it was nice and accurate, it ties up the frame. Sort of like the AR upper argument... as you can’t shoot both. .22s, I view more as gun you hand to a new shooter at the range. For that reason, I sold my Ciener kit years back and got a Ruger Mark III (which would fit somewhat what you are looking for). Think I only had to add another $40-$60 from what I got for the conversion, and complete .22 pistol.

If a conversion is a must, I really recommend the CZ Kadet kit. 1911 kits, very mixed bag... but I’d preferably want one that didn’t use a complete slide. Hear too many horror stories about SIG kits, so I’d definitely not go that route.

I just started squaring my Ruger away, as I want a pest control pistol for Maine. If you can figure out how to take a Mark III down, you can save some money if you go that route (just look over a used gun, since it is a saturated aftermarket; sometimes, you get shotty home “gunsmiths”). It really isn’t as hard as people make it out to be, if you do it more than twice.

If you just want simplicity, Mark IV.

In regards to ammo, if you find a gun that won’t run CCI MiniMags... ditch it as soon as possible (or send it to the factory). Bulk is where picky starts showing it’s face.

I have some Tandemkross parts on my GSG 1911 and it's an amusing little gun. Unlike @louu's experinece above, mine is rather ammo-finnicky but not so much that I've given up on it (CCI-AR 90% reliable or so, Federal bulk like 50%...haven't tried the Mini Mags yet...Velocitors are good but they're expensive AF)

5 hours ago, Heronimo42 said:

My other two are a Beretta APX and an HK45- I'm trying to keep look/action in the same family for consistency in training.  I think that Ruger may the default safe choice, just want to make sure I'm not discounting anything.  

We have the ruger. I personally have little issues with it running cci. New shooters I think tend to limp wrist the firearm sometimes. Cursory search of ruger website I do not see a “ large grip”. Long slide yes. The ruger grip is on the smaller side . Don’t discount revolvers. .22 reliability will increase in revolvers or bolt guns with same ammo vs semi. It’s the nature of .22.

Im trying to remember who makes a 1911 in .22 that you purchase as a .22 then buy the .45 conversion and make out better vs other way around... Sig?

There are some great comments above! I started down the same path as you, learning that a 22 will often not be made in the same way or even factory as it’s larger caliber cousins. I ending up buying a Sig Mosquito Sport, only to learn later that GSG makes them. They are now called the GSG Firefly and I don’t recommend it.

- If you want a solid feeling gun, do try to check out a Beretta 71.

- Ruger makes great guns but the SR22 is not on that level (as per my Sig lesson). Very plastic feel. 

- the idea of a conversion kit is a pro vs con and depends on how you plan to use the pistol. Pro: you get the same trigger and grip. Con: 22 burns dirty and leaves a bigger mess to clean out of the gun.

5 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Another vote for GSG 1911.  I have one with a bunch of upgrades from 

https://www.cwaccessories.com/

and enjoy it.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.  I'll definitely check out the GSG 1911 and the Ruger SR22 4.5" barrel.  I believe Kimber makes a .22 pistol, but price wise it's a little high and not sure if I'm getting anything above and beyond other .22's.  

15 minutes ago, Heronimo42 said:

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.  I'll definitely check out the GSG 1911 and the Ruger SR22 4.5" barrel.  I believe Kimber makes a .22 pistol, but price wise it's a little high and not sure if I'm getting anything above and beyond other .22's.  

Do not buy anything that has the name Kimber on it. Especially if you want to actually shoot it. 

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

On 1/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, louu said:

Do not buy anything that has the name Kimber on it. Especially if you want to actually shoot it. 

On 1/7/2019 at 8:38 PM, Heronimo42 said:

:lol: Got it!  Will do.  

Other than my 9mm 1911 Kimber Custom II with 5000 flawless rounds thru it.

Kimber QC sucked some years back.  Don't be afraid of them.  They make great 1911's and their revolvers are awesome.

My vote, if you're gonna shoot it a lot, is a Smith and Wesson 617.  A 10 shot 22 revolver is just a ton of fun.  Good luck in your search.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, louu said:

Will have to disagree. I purchased a Kimber Micro 9 last year and have had absolutely no problems after > 500 rounds. It looks nice, feels solid, and is reliable. Also has excellent sights for a compact pistol. Kimber may have had problems in the past, but every one I've ever shot has been fine. 

Anoter vote for the GSG 1911.  GSG makes the Sig 1911 .22lr version too, so look at both and compare pricing.  I'm also a fan of the Sig conversion kits for the P220, P226 and P229 handguns.  Yes the .22 is dirty, but that is true no matter what frame you shoot it from.  A few years back it was actually cheaper to buy a P229 Classic in .22 and a 9mm conversion kit, than it was to buy just a P229 in 9mm.

And I won't get into the Kimber debate.  I've had a couple and they were great shooters.  My EDC is a micro9.

Thanks all for the help.  I think i've narrowed it down to the RIA xt22 1911, GSG 1911 .22 or Beretta M9A1 .22 (even though it's an umarex gun, I love my Beretta APX).  I'm going to try and shoot each of these before deciding on them.  Thanks again for all your help and advice.  Truly appreciated.  

My direction would be these.... Solid guns and do not require you to use HV ammo.. they will eat most 22lr ammo on the market..

Ruger MK series including 22/45
SW Victory

if you want to stay away form target style you can look into the

Ruger SR22 (Pretty Small)
Walther PPQ 22 (full size)
SW MP22 Compact

Don't discount the fun of a 22lr revolver.. they can be purchased pretty cheap.

LOVE the little base-model Ruger Mark III I have. 

I understand the Mark IV is even better, and fixes the one problem all of the Ruger .22s have - the Mk IV takedown is now as easy-peasy as the S&W Model 41.