MB24

Safe dehumidifier

I’m more of a Golden’s Rod and desiccants kind of guy... when house air gets dryer (winter), I pull the desiccants out. Most safes have a bottom area that fits a Golden Rod. They are glass inside, so that is your main downside. Personally, I’d trust one of them over the dehumidifier you mention.

I store ammo in Cabela’s bins, and put a small desiccant pack in each.

been running a goldenrod in my cabinet since i got it. 

spend so much time trying to raise the humidity in my house, and year round trying to remove it from the cabinet.
have a whole house humidifyer in the furnace, and dehumidifyer in the basement, and the goldenrod in the safe.

I use the EVA-DRY units in ammo boxes, and a larger container of silica for the safe. I don't have a humidity measurement in there but (knock on wood) I don't have any corrosion so far and theyre easy to refresh when they need it

I don't have power in my safe so a plug in dehumidifier wasn't really an option for me, it would be quite a chore to drill a hole and then re-fireproof the hole

28 minutes ago, MB24 said:

I have no electric in the safe either and not crazy about drilling. Are you talking about eva dry packets in the ammo boxes? What I was referring to was a thing that looks like a smoke detector. When its full you plug it in to recharge it.

My son is using that in his safe, which is in the garage. So far, it's working fine. Only issue is that you need to remember to take it out and recharge it when necessary, so make sure to mark your calendar.

7 minutes ago, Sniper said:

My son is using that in his safe, which is in the garage. So far, it's working fine. Only issue is that you need to remember to take it out and recharge it when necessary, so make sure to mark your calendar.

I like the plug-in self-regenerating dehumidifiers a lot, since you don’t have to tie up the oven for hours at a time, or answer questions like “What’s that thing doing in my oven!?”

They have a quite limited capacity, so you may want to consider more than one per safe, and a fairly frequent regeneration schedule. 

35 minutes ago, 10X said:

I like the plug-in self-regenerating dehumidifiers a lot, since you don’t have to tie up the oven for hours at a time, or answer questions like “What’s that thing doing in my oven!?”

They have a quite limited capacity, so you may want to consider more than one per safe, and a fairly frequent regeneration schedule. 

I use 3 in my 24 gun safe. Safe is in basement next to dehumidifier. They last about a month before charging.

1 hour ago, MB24 said:

I have no electric in the safe either and not crazy about drilling. Are you talking about eva dry packets in the ammo boxes? What I was referring to was a thing that looks like a smoke detector. When its full you plug it in to recharge it.

I was talking about the plug in kind. And regarding the ammo boxes I should have actually said ammo CAN. I put the various ammo boxes inside the latching can with a desiccant unit.

For the safe my silica gel is in a box that I have to put in an oven to dry out (I have a junkyard toaster oven for projects and stuff like this). It has a much larger capacity than the EVA-DRY units but I could certainly have used more than one instead

All types have an indicator that turns a different color when it needs drying out, although if it's a seldom used container I suppose you wouldn't see it. But then again if its' seldom used it shouldn't leak much humidity either.

1 hour ago, MB24 said:

I use these and they work great