Scorpio64

The King Cobra is Back

Header-1-660x237.jpg

We Have All Waited a Long Time for This… The Colt King Cobra Returns!

Posted 1 min ago in Product Announcement, Revolver by Adam Scepaniak with 120 Comments
Tags: 357 Magnum, Colt, King Cobra

This announcement could be something that Colt intended to keep under their hat until SHOT Show in a few weeks, but “Shooting Industry” magazine happened to leak it early. In 2019 we will see the reincarnation of the Colt King Cobra .357 Magnum revolver! At this time, there is very little information surrounding this new revolver brought back to life from Colt.

Read more here ---> https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/01/08/colt-king-cobra-returns/

Will surely keep an eye out for it.  Will be interesting to see the price of it too and if the fit/finish will be anywhere close to the originals.

If the gun is anywhere close, will decimate resale values of existing snake guns... unless these new one are just bad. lol.  Or only come in one or two barrel sizes.

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Will be interesting to see the price of it too and if the fit/finish will be anywhere close to the originals.

Colt can't afford to screw this up.  It would be a major humiliation.  I'm betting the fit and finish will be top notch and the pricing will such that it does not decimate the value of the collectibles.  A price correction of the overvalued collectibles will surely happen.

11 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Colt can't afford to screw this up.  It would be a major humiliation.  I'm betting the fit and finish will be top notch and the pricing will such that it does not decimate the value of the collectibles.  A price correction of the overvalued collectibles will surely happen.

I will say, I was not too impressed with the Cobra... although this was from playing with it at the booth, I did not have a chance to shoot it.

For the King Cobra the price really needs to be around $1500 MSRP and a street price of $1100 to $1,200.

1 minute ago, Ray Ray said:

People who are buying these are strictly buying them for safe queens.   Colts for looking, Smiths for working.

You mean Rugers? =)  That is what you buy when you want a gun that cannot be killed with a grenade. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Maksim said:

You mean Rugers? =)  That is what you buy when you want a gun that cannot be killed with a grenade. 

Not true anymore, I had to send back my first LCR.  

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

If I remember correctly, the original king cobra was a trooper mark V; at least internally

Could be.   The main (or only) difference between the Trooper MK III and the Trooper MK V was that the MK V had a different hammer and maybe another internal part changed out in the lockworks, that gave it a significantly shorter hammer throw/lock time.  But you could put those parts in a MK III to gain the same advantage, creating what I called the Trooper MK IV.   

5 hours ago, papulski said:

Colt website says $899

As a gun guy, I am really happy with that... $899 MSRP should get us a $700 or so Street price.  At the same time, as a Colt "collector" I am really disappointed...  $1,500 King Cobras will plummet in half!

Then again though, Can they really put out a quality King Cobra for $700?  Assuming the cost to make would be between $400 to $500 with the rest going to distributors and less extent dealers.

And wasn't the big issue with Colt that the guys who really knew how to make a revolver have mostly retired or passed away?

7 hours ago, 10X said:

Could be.   The main (or only) difference between the Trooper MK III and the Trooper MK V was that the MK V had a different hammer and maybe another internal part changed out in the lockworks, that gave it a significantly shorter hammer throw/lock time.  But you could put those parts in a MK III to gain the same advantage, creating what I called the Trooper MK IV.   

Mainspring & strut were longer on the MK V; hammer travel is also shorter on the MK V

• Informative 2

3 minutes ago, SW9racer said:

Has any company ever resurrected an old classic successfully?

Dunno, but if Colt wants to resurrect the old models it also needs to resurrect it's reputation. There aren't many Colt pistol models I'd buy today. They are just not what they use to be. Had I known way back when, when I sold my Pythons, I'd would have kept them. I kick myself every time I think about it.
I'd be happy to buy an old Python today just to spite myself and pay good money for a 98+%er.. I'd also like a Colt Lawman too. Had one of those and sold it years ago...:wacko:

6 hours ago, Maksim said:

As a gun guy, I am really happy with that... $899 MSRP should get us a $700 or so Street price.  At the same time, as a Colt "collector" I am really disappointed...  $1,500 King Cobras will plummet in half!

$899 MSRP is disappointing, I'll tell ya why.  They cannot make a quality gun that lives up to the KCs reputation for that price.  If Colt was smart, They'd have made a top notch reissue, sparing no expense.  The MSRP for the new model should have been around $1,500, with a street price of around $1,200 to $1,300. 

If people are willing to pay top dollar, $800, for a superior grade 22lr revolver, surely there are people that would pay $1,200 for a new KC.  Most of the KCs that I see on GB and other sites are selling for an average price of $1,800 with many priced well over $2,000.

Cheap King Cobras would be nice, but it's not realistic that they can make a top quality product with a street price under $1,000.  If Colt screws this up, it will devastate their brand.

That thing looks horrendous. 

It looks like Charter Arms stepped up, not like Colt is trying to legitimately resurrect the King Cobra, which I personally like a little better than a Python. 

Id rather save up and buy a Korth. 

1 hour ago, Vicious said:

This is why there are no SAAs on the shelves!

I'm done with Colt DA revolvers until they bring the Python back.

I can’t believe it will be anything other than them bringing a name back without the fit/finish that is typical of the originals. 

May least it will help keep the original’s value high. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bully said:

I can’t believe it will be anything other than them bringing a name back without the fit/finish that is typical of the originals. 

May least it will help keep the original’s value high. 

Solid point. I think Colt needs to decide what they want these guns to be, then set a price accordingly. The other Cobra is nice, but I can get a similar S&W airweight similar price or cheaper that can throw .357 as well.

14 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

$899 MSRP is disappointing, I'll tell ya why.  They cannot make a quality gun that lives up to the KCs reputation for that price.  If Colt was smart, They'd have made a top notch reissue, sparing no expense.  The MSRP for the new model should have been around $1,500, with a street price of around $1,200 to $1,300. 

If people are willing to pay top dollar, $800, for a superior grade 22lr revolver, surely there are people that would pay $1,200 for a new KC.  Most of the KCs that I see on GB and other sites are selling for an average price of $1,800 with many priced well over $2,000.

Cheap King Cobras would be nice, but it's not realistic that they can make a top quality product with a street price under $1,000.  If Colt screws this up, it will devastate their brand.

I know some people who deal with Colt through their jobs and none of them have anything good to say about how the company is run or their quality control. One described the management of Colt as "a revolving door of idiots"

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/10/2019 at 11:20 PM, Oakridgefirearms said:

I know some people who deal with Colt through their jobs and none of them have anything good to say about how the company is run or their quality control. One described the management of Colt as "a revolving door of idiots"

Not surprising considering Colt's financial problems.

Some of their 1911s are fairly nice.

I will buy one out of sentimentality, if it doesn’t look as bad as the photo.  However, there is no chance that these can be like the originals unless they are going to costs thousands, in which case no one is buying. .  

On 1/10/2019 at 12:27 PM, Bully said:

That thing looks horrendous. 

It looks like Charter Arms stepped up, not like Colt is trying to legitimately resurrect the King Cobra, which I personally like a little better than a Python. 

Id rather save up and buy a Korth. 

I have one on order with 9mm kit (barrel cylinder).