JMich3

New guy 1911 on a budget

So I’ve only recently found my love of shooting, but i know there’s certain handguns that are a staple in most safes. I’ve got permits on the way and I’m thinking a 1911 needs to be in my collection. Keeping in mind I’m on a budget (one daughter in college, the other in private H.S. And an ex wife budget) I’m curious what you guys think is the 1911 to own.

The Remington R1 1911 can be had for about $650.00.  Rock Island Armory (Armscor) models are going for about $700.  I know some people are not keen on Remington, however, the R1 I handled and fired was great.  Fit and finish was exceptional.  Can't speak about RIA, I've never seen any of their products much less used one.

https://www.rkguns.com/

I'm a Springfield Armory kinda guy.  

I have an A1 that I added my touch to.  650 or there abouts.  Great, no frills pistol.  If time and money permit, send it to a 1911 wizard and they will send you back something that will rival the "Pro" from SA.  

Colt is always a good choice.  It will sell more quickly than most other brands and maintain it's value better than most as well.  

If you comfortable with a non-traditional 1911, Smith and Wesson and Sig make great guns.  

But again, I'd look hard at the Springfield 1911-A1.  Awesome gun and even better base if you ever want to have a semi-custom.  
FWIW, I have several justifiable reasons for saying this but won't bore you with them.  But it is a really good shooting pistol.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dilbert1967 said:

The Remington R1 1911 can be had for about $650.00.  Rock Island Armory (Armscor) models are going for about $700.  I know some people are not keen on Remington, however, the R1 I handled and fired was great.  Fit and finish was exceptional.  Can't speak about RIA, I've never seen any of their products much less used one.

https://www.rkguns.com/

what he said. rock island armory makes some REALLY good stuff for stupid cheap. 

the Remington r1 and r1 enhanced are fantastic pistols. I love my r1

Franklin Twp in Somerset? Come by SCFGPA or my house you can fiddle with a Springfield Loaded. The Loaded costs a little more than, say, a GI or Range Officer but I think the build quality is all pretty similar

(If its Franklin in Somerset I can understand why you're using private high school...)

• Thanks 1

For a first time 1911 buyer the Rock Isl Armory 1911's are a very good value and the quality is post on.

In the next tier up - The Springfield Range Officer is one of the best "out of the box" shooters

There are many choices in 1911 (like Pizzas) - it's best to determine your "budget number"  and then get opinions on what is best in THAT price range................ jmo

Good Luck!

JT

• Agree 1

Build quality on current production 1911's has gotten pretty good. I have friends with Taurus and Armscor guns, and they run fine. They are not the finest finished firearms, but they function well. That being said, if I was looking for a budget 1911, I would go for the Springfield Range Officer. You can get an RO for around $700 which is one of the better "bang for the buck" (no pun intended) 1911's available. They are also a platform that custom gunsmiths will work on if you choose to get work done in the future. Many smiths won't work on RIA, Taurus etc.

The other option is to look for a quality used example. I was selling a like new  $1100 Colt for $700 with no takers, so there are deals to be found on used guns if you are patient.

I'm a Sig guy, so I went with a Sig 1911 TTT.  Pretty sure that model is around $850-950, but sig makes plenty of other 1911 models.  Some don't like them because of things like external extractors or - for some models - the Sig profile slide.  I didn't care about the extractor, and I kinda prefer the slide profile...  I've had no issues with my 1911 and would buy it (or the STX, the other model I was interested in) again if I were doing things over.  Based on my experiences, I'd say Sig 1911s are worth a look.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

it all comes down to price point.. you can get a descent 1911 for less then 500.00 but its not going to compare to one that's 700.

Sure it will shoot just fine but its about the features and finish.

Ruger is a great starter
Rock Island as well.

Then you move on the Springfield. Colt etc etc

I like the Ruger SR1911 and think it is a good value.  A Spartan is a good choice as well on a budget.  I don't know that much about them, but you might want to look into a 9mm variety as it is a lot cheaper to shoot.  

I used to have a SIG 1911-22 which I really enjoyed shooting and I have always wondered what the 3/4 ones Browning makes are like.  

listen to Griz as anything under a 1k (unless you go 9mm) is not going to be inherently different.  It's a 100+ yr old design, no magic to it.

I have a pt1911 and it's been rock solid; this and the m85 are the only Taurus products to get universal glowing reviews across the interwebs.   RIA is another that seems to get great reviews. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I used to have a SIG 1911-22 which I really enjoyed shooting and I have always wondered what the 3/4 ones Browning makes are like.  

Those smaller Browning 1911 in 22?  Not a fan.  Felt cheap and "blah".

Sig 1911-22 is fine, and generally that GSG 1911-22 is a great value for the money.

Just now, myhatinthering said:

listen to Griz as anything under a 1k (unless you go 9mm) is not going to be inherently different.  It's a 100+ yr old design, no magic to it.

I have a pt1911 and it's been rock solid; this and the m85 are the only Taurus products to get universal glowing reviews across the interwebs. 

I would disagree with that under $1k comment.  There are a variety of differences.  Namely, some companies underprice their guns in order to get market-share.

The Taurus 1911 is one of those guns that I feel is under-priced for what you get... BUT it is a Taurus and it will turn off many at a higher price point.

The other that I think is an AMAZING value is the Desert Eagle 1911.  It is built by BUL in Israel as a competition gun (originally inteded for Charles Daily as a USPSA/IDPA gun, until Magnum Research came in and stole it.)  The fit and finish and features are what you expect on a much more expensive gun.

Take either of those two and slap "Sig" on them, and those guns are instantly "1,500 values."

1 minute ago, Maksim said:

I would disagree with that under $1k comment.  There are a variety of differences.  Namely, some companies underprice their guns in order to get market-share.

The Taurus 1911 is one of those guns that I feel is under-priced for what you get... BUT it is a Taurus and it will turn off many at a higher price point.

The other that I think is an AMAZING value is the Desert Eagle 1911.  It is built by BUL in Israel as a competition gun (originally inteded for Charles Daily as a USPSA/IDPA gun, until Magnum Research came in and stole it.)  The fit and finish and features are what you expect on a much more expensive gun.

Take either of those two and slap "Sig" on them, and those guns are instantly "1,500 values."

I hear you but the differences are marginal at best, at least in the .45 space.  Agree on brand name however, if it's not a colt, why bother with the big bucks:) 

4 minutes ago, Maksim said:

It is built by BUL in Israel as a competition gun (originally inteded for Charles Daily as a USPSA/IDPA gun, until Magnum Research came in and stole it.) 

That's called capitalism.   Or winning 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

I hear you but the differences are marginal at best, at least in the .45 space.  Agree on brand name however, if it's not a colt, why bother with the big bucks:) 

I would not say marginal. 

compare stock RIA vs the same Taurus.