JMich3

New guy 1911 on a budget

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

I would not say marginal. 

compare stock RIA vs the same Taurus.

frame is only real difference and the ambi safety (which I actually hate)

compare a 1911 closer to 1k vs the ria and taurus for a better view.  There really isn't that much of a difference

I will say this for the Taurus, it's accurate, reliable, and heavy and I've yet to have a single issue

21 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

frame is only real difference and the ambi safety (which I actually hate)

compare a 1911 closer to 1k vs the ria and taurus for a better view.  There really isn't that much of a difference

I will say this for the Taurus, it's accurate, reliable, and heavy and I've yet to have a single issue

So a Taurus 1911 vs A Sig 1911?

Taurus has a forged frame, dual, oversized safeties,  skeleton trigger, front slide serrations, extended beaver tail/grip safety. ... all missing from the Sig at the lower end.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-xo-full-size.html

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/pistols/taurus-1911/taurus-1911-pistols-45-acp-8-round-4/

For me, dual safety, target/low profile sights, and extended beavertail are essentially a must.

This is what I mean by Taurus is a great value and really ought to be far more expensive but they cannot justify the "Brand premium", much like Ruger.. are "value" brands.

Going upmarket on 1911s beyond that point really is all about hand fitting, possibly a slightly better barrel, different grips/sights. 

11 minutes ago, Maksim said:

So a Taurus 1911 vs A Sig 1911?

Taurus has a forged frame, dual, oversized safeties,  skeleton trigger, front slide serrations, extended beaver tail/grip safety. ... all missing from the Sig at the lower end.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-xo-full-size.html

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/pistols/taurus-1911/taurus-1911-pistols-45-acp-8-round-4/

For me, dual safety, target/low profile sights, and extended beavertail are essentially a must.

This is what I mean by Taurus is a great value and really ought to be far more expensive but they cannot justify the "Brand premium", much like Ruger.. are "value" brands.

Going upmarket on 1911s beyond that point really is all about hand fitting, possibly a slightly better barrel, different grips/sights. 

you are proving my point my friend, why spend more when the Taurus is not fundamentally different than the more expensive 1911s?

People look at the name and raise their noses but I'd put my Taurus up against quite a few brands.  The only Achilles heal of the platform is the extractor and that's not uncommon for a variety of brands.  Swap the extractor with a wc bulletproof one and we're done. 

1 minute ago, myhatinthering said:

you are proving my point my friend, why spend more when the Taurus is not fundamentally different than the more expensive 1911s?

People look at the name and raise their noses but I'd put my Taurus up against quite a few brands.  The only Achilles heal of the platform is the extractor and that's not uncommon for a variety of brands.  Swap the extractor with a wc bulletproof one and we're done. 

Perhaps semantics?  

To me, those differences are fundamental in the Sub 1k gun.  There is lots of crap in the Sub $1k... but there are some gems that present a great value, which is what I mean by Taurus, Desert Eagle and a few others.  

But that's the key right?  It IS a 1911 and essentially the design is there for everyone to use and improve upon.  I think it comes down to a case by case basis of what works and what does not.

Taurus is a great value for the price at around $550/$600 and gives you features a $1,000 Sig does not.  But... that same Taurus for $550 is vastly different from a basic Ruger 1911, RIA and a few other lower end guns I have played with.  

In the parts department it may be a few parts, but those parts add up and so does the hand fitting.  

At Shot Show played with a few 1911s from companies that were in that $1,500 to $2,000 range... and quite honestly, I like my "cheap" Desert Eagle far better.  Worst of all, for $1,600, that gun did not come with target sights OR ambi safeties which I think should be standard on all 1911.  (as a righty, I find it better to engage the safety with the top of my index finger rather than shift my grip and engaging it with the thumb.

59 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

tell you what, the best, nicest, and smoothest 1911 I've yet to handle is the colt comp in 9mm.  Talk about butter smooth!!!!!!!!!!

low 900s

got me thinking I may need one

Have not played with it but will try.  Generally was not impressed with the Colts for the money.  

I have quite a few 1911's at all price points - from a GSG .22, RIA, Dan Wesson Valor and a Colt Novak custom build.  One of my favorite shooters is the Rock Island Tactical in 9mm.  I think I paid $400 for it used.

Check the used guns at your favorite LGS.  There are lots of deals out there if you look hard enough.  

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 9:15 AM, mustang69 said:

I have quite a few 1911's at all price points - from a GSG .22, RIA, Dan Wesson Valor and a Colt Novak custom build.  One of my favorite shooters is the Rock Island Tactical in 9mm.  I think I paid $400 for it used.

Check the used guns at your favorite LGS.  There are lots of deals out there if you look hard enough.  

that ria tactical gets' great reviews just about everywhere.   I'm itching....lol

On 1/31/2019 at 9:15 AM, mustang69 said:

I’ve been checking several local shops, I’ve noticed a lot of practically new hand guns for sale. I recently picked up a used CZ for a good deal. I am totally okay with used. 

16 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

that ria tactical gets' great reviews just about everywhere.   I'm itching....lol

I have an RIA in 9mm, not the tactical, great gun IHO.  Have close to 1K rounds through it and not a hiccup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1