70gto

SOLD john deere lawn riding mower $250

LT 166 42 inch freedom deck mulches everything, grass, leaves, dogs cats and squirrels. (just kidding I love my dog) but its very capable/ basically everything you can throw at it. i bought it from a member here who works on them, 2 seasons ago. I put in a new battery this season. Starts right up. Great tractor. I am having major work done on house soon, and need to clear pack away everything. Paid more but selling will save me on storing it. For less than the price of a push mower you get a capable riding mower. I dont have a crystal ball but it seems like it was built like a tank and should last.  Needs - adjustment to handle on side that raises and lowers deck, and one good deck bolt that connects deck to mower, I have my own installed already but an oem John deere deck rod bolt is $17 on ebay.  perfect no, but heck of a buy at $250. 1-732-841-2472

1 hour ago, 70gto said:

LT 166 42 inch freedom deck mulches everything, grass, leaves, dogs cats and squirrels. (just kidding I love my dog) but its very capable/ basically everything you can throw at it.

How about the pain in the ass neighbors kids? How will it do on them?

Also wondering, do many people here cut their grass in January?  :hang:

38 minutes ago, 70gto said:

what doesnt everone cut their grass in jan?

Ha.

Well, actually my grass is the greenest it has ever been in January, because of how warm and wet it's been. It hasn't turned brown and dormant. So, maybe you're not that far off.

yes hydro trans , 250 is for members here only in a couple days its craigslist for 375. here at the least the ballbreaking it at a minimum. I bet on craigslist I would get a 75 dollar offer just because, and the prince of zimbabwe will send his courier to pick it up if i make change for a 2500 check.  Shoot the biggest POS I saw for same tractor is 500 then it goes all the way to 975. and its says barely runs in that ad. its a good tractor, hate to sell. but i garage my stuff and i dont want it to sit outside for a few months, if it comes to that gulp so be it. for 250 your only paying for the motor, the tractor and deck are free, one can part it out for more $ the entire roof is getting ripped off my house and open to sky everything has to be moved stored, so lots of interesting things will be coming up for sale.

I dont think a pto is there so. the trans is tougher than most, its a tuff torgue k51 and stronger than everything for sale at home depot and lowes those are mostly k-46 to k48's and i seen guys push snow with the weaker trans but they end up killing the trans over time. you got to step up to a tougher/bigger machine with a trans for built for snow and have it last you a while.  for 250  you  would be better off mowing for a couple seasons and have no problems, but id be lying to say its a snow machine, the member who works on these may chime in , hes the expert i just researched these john deere's for 2 years but no means an expert. I dont see a pto for a snowblower but a snow blade can probably be done.but  I wouldnt do it and have it last a while, for the price its a no brainer for grass and towing a cart but a gamble for snow pushing.

yeah lets do morning with sunlight out better pics. If it were me i would do this and thats it, Buy 1 oem deck hanger bolt, and 2 new gator mulching blades, they are the the cats meow. , then ride on my man. suggest you call for walk around description if you want tomorrow , only because its the right thing to do for me and you.

2 hours ago, W2MC said:

i've currently got a craftsman lt1000 - single cylinder with a non-floating deck, and i've never been happy with it.  I may convert it to a puller and use the Deere for a cutter

not a bad idea. I am on a well for water, so i dont use commercial fertilizer and have 3 kids that play in the yard, thats the main reason i mulch everything, natural fertilizer, grass and leaves works just fine,. this machine chops it to small bits no ,matter how tall the leaves get, if its real heavy covering i do it twice, i havnt used a rake in years. pics when i get home in a couple hours. the gator mulching blades are supposed to be amazing. I would do that

22 hours ago, 70gto said:

I dont think a pto is there so. the trans is tougher than most, its a tuff torgue k51 and stronger than everything for sale at home depot and lowes those are mostly k-46 to k48's and i seen guys push snow with the weaker trans but they end up killing the trans over time. you got to step up to a tougher/bigger machine with a trans for built for snow and have it last you a while.  for 250  you  would be better off mowing for a couple seasons and have no problems, but id be lying to say its a snow machine, the member who works on these may chime in , hes the expert i just researched these john deere's for 2 years but no means an expert. I dont see a pto for a snowblower but a snow blade can probably be done.but  I wouldnt do it and have it last a while, for the price its a no brainer for grass and towing a cart but a gamble for snow pushing.

I think this was one of my machines, I remember swapping out a couple rear tires, right?

While available, I wouldn't recommend a plow for this tractor.  That attachment is about the hardest one on a trans, never mind one that is 25 years old.  Snowblowers might have been available but I never saw one in my travels.  Great machines and will last forever if taken care of, and most parts still readily available.  The Freedom deck is the best deck Deere ever made for mulching.

I don't work on these much any more since moving to New Hampshire, but if you send me a pic of the deck bolt it needs I might just have one laying around - be happy to send it to whomever if I do.

8 hours ago, 70gto said:

the gator mulching blades are supposed to be amazing.

Gator blades are fantastic.  I started using them initially on a JD rear engine rider with a trac-vac to pack more in and reduce clogs when doing leaf clean-ups, but then threw a set on my 48 walk behind just to see how they worked.  They do a great job mulching but they don't work good on all decks.  It depends on how they are baffled. 

Gator blades don't generate a lot of lift so they don't really chuck the clipping out of the chute like a good high lift blade, so, if the grass is wet, it turns the clippings to pulp and clogs the deck.  But, under normal conditions. they pulverize grass and leaves.  If you like stripes on your lawn, don't get your hopes up.

2 hours ago, mustang69 said:

I think this was one of my machines, I remember swapping out a couple rear tires, right?

While available, I wouldn't recommend a plow for this tractor.  That attachment is about the hardest one on a trans, never mind one that is 25 years old.  Snowblowers might have been available but I never saw one in my travels.  Great machines and will last forever if taken care of, and most parts still readily available.  The Freedom deck is the best deck Deere ever made for mulching.

I don't work on these much any more since moving to New Hampshire, but if you send me a pic of the deck bolt it needs I might just have one laying around - be happy to send it to whomever if I do.

Yes it was your machine , i cant get a good pic its the hanging bolt that attaches the deck to machine. she still runs great. An x500 is waiting for me when I get the house back together. BTW glad you escaped NJ. I will have new owner pm you. if he has better luck with my back I cant get down there, I also couldnt figure out how to adjust the up down lever on deck it fell out of place

This is not directed at anyone its just general statement. For what its worth. I sold this way too cheap, when i put something for sale, its because I made up my mind i want it out and price it ridiculous. if my number is on there phone calls take precedence at normal hours then its i will take it post and by time stamp. Im not being a wise guy, but as i clean out house in near future I will price stuff more than fair. i suggest if you have remote interest please just call.  there will be stuff I dont want to sell but have too. 

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Gator blades are fantastic.  I started using them initially on a JD rear engine rider with a trac-vac to pack more in and reduce clogs when doing leaf clean-ups, but then threw a set on my 48 walk behind just to see how they worked.  They do a great job mulching but they don't work good on all decks.  It depends on how they are baffled. 

Gator blades don't generate a lot of lift so they don't really chuck the clipping out of the chute like a good high lift blade, so, if the grass is wet, it turns the clippings to pulp and clogs the deck.  But, under normal conditions. they pulverize grass and leaves.  If you like stripes on your lawn, don't get your hopes up.

can I use gator blades with a powerflow system and work well?  the blades will mulch powerflow sucks it up? when house is in order and I can bring it home it wil be an x500 with powerflow 48 inch deck. i need more robust tractor for towing tons of firewood and junk wood out of the back

19 minutes ago, 70gto said:

can I use gator blades with a powerflow system and work well?  the blades will mulch powerflow sucks it up? when house is in order and I can bring it home it wil be an x500 with powerflow 48 inch deck. i need more robust tractor for towing tons of firewood and junk wood out of the back

I would guess so.... 

I run this tractor to cut about an acre of grass... I also have a large leaf bag i throw over the hopper system in the fall for leaf pickup.... I was picking up loads of wet leafs and crap.... it was throwing it all no problem up the chute. 

My only complaint about the power flow system is every once in a while a long twig gets past the blades and will jam something up and start a clogg, but it is easy enough to clear... I would guess that could happen on any system tho. 

Grass... never had a clog ever even in long wet grass.

It also moves a ton of fire wood no problem, even up a decent hill,  great tractor. 

I use a DR lawn and leaf vacuum trailer towed by an old craftsman mower  -- works great

I really didn't need this JD machine -- The price is just too good to let slip away -- I'll see if it's better at cutting grass than my current system

I picked up wood from 70gto last week -- he's a good guy and close to home -- When I saw the add I knew the mower was going to be "as described"  

Seems like he's going to be selling some stuff soon -- If he lists something and its something you want at a great price don't hesitate -- he's gonna be honest in his descriptions

Now I have to go pick up my mower...

27 minutes ago, 70gto said:

and thanks. I want to mulch 99 percent of time and vacuum at very end of season

Sometimes furrows of debris  will be left if the grass is tall or there is a lot of leaves.  When that happens, we have to hit it with a back pack blower to spread it out, but that happens with any kind of blade.

BTW, a word of caution using a mower to pick up leaves (gator blades or not).  It may be tempting to lower the deck for better vacuum, but don't go so low that you are scalping the lawn.  It's better to just blow out whatever is left behind.

If he ends up with the 48" Accel deck, it's got a ton of suction.. i believe it's extra deep for increase flow so you can mow at higher speeds. The mulching feature on it is also supposed to be amazing although I don't have the muchling adapter.. my wife hates clippins.