70gto

SOLD john deere lawn riding mower $250

6 hours ago, mustang69 said:

I don't work on these much any more since moving to New Hampshire, but if you send me a pic of the deck bolt it needs I might just have one laying around - be happy to send it to whomever if I do.

Got the mower home and got a good look at what is missing --  Seems to be just a missing pin -- The deck seems like it has a quick detach feature -- one of the pins that connect the deck to the lift mechanism is missing -- I threw in a 5/16 bolt, a couple of washers and a nylock nut -- should work just fine and not vibrate out

I'm not sure whats up with the lift mechanism itself -- it functions, pull back the handle and adjust the knob works fine -- just no position to lock the deck in place as it's lifted -- not sure if it's supposed to work that way or not -- Have to go watch some videos on the freedom deck -- does have a sticky lock button on the lift handle -- needs lube

All in all well worth what it cost 

16 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Got the mower home and got a good look at what is missing --  Seems to be just a missing pin -- The deck seems like it has a quick detach feature -- one of the pins that connect the deck to the lift mechanism is missing -- I threw in a 5/16 bolt, a couple of washers and a nylock nut -- should work just fine and not vibrate out

I'm not sure whats up with the lift mechanism itself -- it functions, pull back the handle and adjust the knob works fine -- just no position to lock the deck in place as it's lifted -- not sure if it's supposed to work that way or not -- Have to go watch some videos on the freedom deck -- does have a sticky lock button on the lift handle -- needs lube

All in all well worth what it cost 

The only downside to using a bolt instead of the pin (there are two actually) is 1) the bolt makes it harder to remove the deck and 2), the pin is hardened so won't wear like the bolt.  The bolt isn't designed for shear forces, while the pin is.  As for the lift mechanism, the handle is probably tweaked a bit (bent toward the operator).  That binds up the mechanism inside and prevents the button form moving, which then stops the pawl from catching and holding the deck up.  With the deck all the way down, try bending the lift handle away from you a bit at a time until the button pops up.  Just push it hard from the seat a bit at a time and you'll feel it tweak a bit.  Go slow and you should see the button free up.

4 hours ago, mustang69 said:

The only downside to using a bolt instead of the pin (there are two actually) is 1) the bolt makes it harder to remove the deck and 2), the pin is hardened so won't wear like the bolt.  The bolt isn't designed for shear forces, while the pin is.  As for the lift mechanism, the handle is probably tweaked a bit (bent toward the operator).  That binds up the mechanism inside and prevents the button form moving, which then stops the pawl from catching and holding the deck up.  With the deck all the way down, try bending the lift handle away from you a bit at a time until the button pops up.  Just push it hard from the seat a bit at a time and you'll feel it tweak a bit.  Go slow and you should see the button free up.

Thanks for the info -- I'll have to chase down the proper sized pin -- Had the bolt on hand

I'll certainly give the bent handle thing a try -- maybe tomorrow I'll get to play with it a little -- I'll treat the gas for the winter too while I'm at it.