falcone

Time for a lever action, need some input

After thinking about it for years I’ve finally decided it’s time to get a lever action. Just wanna get some suggestions and info. It’ll be used just for good ole plinking fun.  No long distance shooting or hunting or anything like that.

What im sure about it is I want it in 38/357 caliber since I already shoot that and don’t have to invest in a new caliber of ammo. 

Wood stock, not some plastic or synthetic material 

What I’d like to know is if I’m better off with a 20 or 24 inch barrel? Is one better than the other? Any significant difference between them? 

Any brand is better than others? I’d like one that I can slick up the action and make it a clean smooth shooter. 

And lastly to be in the $1000 price range. But I don’t mind paying some more for something nice. I know there’s Marlin, Rossi, and Winchester. I also remember seeing a photo on another thread of a nice Uberti. Not interested in Henry. The way you have to tube load it is pretty lame. 

Any input on these questions would be greatly appreciated. 

Stay away from the Remlins (quality is for shit)

Get a Henry (quality is excellent, action is buttery smooth from the get-go, customer service is second to none)

Your objection to the way it loads is, in my opinion, not a valid reason to avoid the best lever action on the market.

Do you really expect to have to do a tactical reload?

8 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Stay away from the Remlins (quality is for shit)

Not quite true.  Marlin was having a lot of problems a few years ago.  They started to turn the corner about two years ago.  Reports from a Marlin forum I'm on suggest about 80% satisfaction with the current production quality.   Most of the QC issues have been fixed, but a few lemons still slip through.

That said, I only buy JM stamped Marlins.  They are the best.  But, I would not turn my nose up at a nice BLR or Winny.  Also, some of the older Marlin department store guns are great too, like Glenfield Western Field or a Sears Model 45.  Just as good as a JM stamped Marlin at a fraction of the cost.

You should be able to find a decent 1894C 38/357  for somewhere between $600 and $800, but you may be looking at just a little over $1,000 for a 95% or better JM stamped 1894.

• Agree 1

My PC lever-action carbine is a .44 so I can't comment on actual performance, but I can on your barrel length question. Especially if you are using factory ammo, the shorter the barrel, the better. Don't forget that this ammo was designed for use in handguns with typical barrel lengths of 4" - 6". You may find that you actually lose velocity with the longer tubes and pistol ammo, due to "barrel drag". If you are a handloader, you can use slow burning powders to help mitigate this, but you still only have so much powder capacity. I vote for the short tube.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Agree 1

Take a look at the Oaks show... I’ve been seeing a decent amount of lever actions the past few times I went.

Personally, I’d opt for an older gun without extra safeties. My Glenfield 30 was made in 1970... pretty much a Marlin 336. My dad gave it to me as a birthday present... so a gun that won’t be going anywhere.

I was thinking about selling my Ruger 44 Carbine (older tube fed), but can’t really justify selling it.

I’m looking to get a new 1894C 18.5” barrel .38/.357.

As soon as I get an In-Stock notification, it will be mine.

Looks like Marlin has finally gotten its shit together and I am hearing good things about the latest models coming out of the factory.

That being said, If I could find an old one for a reasonable price, I would jump on it. But they are getting a rediculous amount of $$$ for the pre Remington 1894 rifles.

• Agree 1

Here is my (pre-Remington) Marlin 1894c that I got a facelift for a couple years ago by a very good riflesmith named Tim Cronin who is now retired. Don’t know how it shoots b/c I haven’t fired it since the upgrades. 

72AB2E2B-358B-4320-BF9E-8C16ABEA65A3.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

DUDE!!!  That's like buying new boobs for your woman and not touching her.  wtf?!?!

But that's a good thing for your buddies when you let them borrow her and take her for a spin while you're at the range!

Oh... are we still talking about rifles? :danced:

27 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

DUDE!!!  That's like buying new boobs for your woman and not touching her.  wtf?!?!

Well, that would never be the case with new boobs !  

Not a lever action guy. This is the only one I own. Got a great deal on it a few years ago in its used state. Shot it a few times and was really impressed with its accuracy out to 50 yards. Wanted to make it better then new so I sent it off to Tim Cronin to do his thing. He definitely exceeded my expectiations. Dry fired it a few times and put it in the back of the safe. Forgot about it until this thread came up. Maybe I will shoot it now this spring. It’s not a museum or collectors piece so no reason to treat it as such. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

Maybe I will shoot it now this spring. It’s not a museum or collectors piece so no reason to treat it as such. 

That's a good plan.  More American than a barrel of AK-47s.  Every time you rack that lever you become more like The Duke.

• Haha 1

Well, I am a lever action guy and I can tell you that nothing (at least nothing I have shot) beats a Henry. I have a Marlin .30 -.30 for deer, and a Henry .22 with octagon barrel for small game. The Henry has it all over the Marlin for quality and smoothness. I like my Marlin, but I love my Henry. 

• Agree 1

Last year I went for the Henry 357mag All Weather first.  I liked the 357 so much I then purchased  the 44. The craftsmanship, ultra-smooth lever action and beautiful wood finish on them is hard to beat and they are accurate. I like the All Weather Stainless but the Blue finish & woodworking on 44 is very well done.  When the 44 arrived at my FFL for pickup he liked it so much he purchased the 357Mag in Blue for he and his wife so there must be something to them...

Henry’s Corp headquarters is here in Jersey and customer service is excellent. I had one issue with the rear sight on the 357 (stainless model) , it was a shooting left and needed to be adjusted but the sight adjustment screw was over-tightened at the factory. I couldn’t break the screw loose to adjust so rather than me beating the snot out of it I opened a trouble ticket and they took it back and corrected the issue quickly. After I got it back the sight was right on out of the box (like the 44) so never had to adjust. If you’re OK with the tube feed vs the traditional load gate Henry is worth look. 

IMG_20180804_111743.thumb.jpg.f6c1866cb9b71a1fb009d2386069152f.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 4:41 PM, Screwball said:

Take a look at the Oaks show... I’ve been seeing a decent amount of lever actions the past few times I went.

Personally, I’d opt for an older gun without extra safeties. My Glenfield 30 was made in 1970... pretty much a Marlin 336. My dad gave it to me as a birthday present... so a gun that won’t be going anywhere.

I was thinking about selling my Ruger 44 Carbine (older tube fed), but can’t really justify selling it.

I’ll take ride to the Oaks Show next weekend and check it out. I’ll either buy something there or make a decision that weekend what I wanna get 

1 hour ago, falcone said:

I’ll take ride to the Oaks Show next weekend and check it out. I’ll either buy something there or make a decision that weekend what I wanna get 

Yea, another good thing about the show is you can narrow down what you want. Might not like the action on one model, or you’ll find out how long the barrel is to be too long for you. Some specifics on guns... you just need it in hand.

52 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

oaks is next weekend?

Correct... Friday (2/8) through Sunday (2/10). Isn’t a huge show... that one is in March... 22nd through 24th.

http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/

They have a dollar off coupon, if it’s worth printing it out for you.

I will be there on Friday, looking for a S&W revolver. If I don’t find one, I’ll be back in 3/22 looking again. But got some intel from a member on S&W Forum that there were at least five of the model I’m looking for, and a commercial that has sat for some time. Probably be there for 1ish, if anyone is going Friday.

8 hours ago, Screwball said:

Yea, another good thing about the show is you can narrow down what you want. Might not like the action on one model, or you’ll find out how long the barrel is to be too long for you. Some specifics on guns... you just need it in hand.

Correct... Friday (2/8) through Sunday (2/10). Isn’t a huge show... that one is in March... 22nd through 24th.

http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com/

They have a dollar off coupon, if it’s worth printing it out for you.

I will be there on Friday, looking for a S&W revolver. If I don’t find one, I’ll be back in 3/22 looking again. But got some intel from a member on S&W Forum that there were at least five of the model I’m looking for, and a commercial that has sat for some time. Probably be there for 1ish, if anyone is going Friday.

sounds good, I'm going to go, thanks for the heads up

which smith were you looking at?

1 hour ago, myhatinthering said:

sounds good, I'm going to go, thanks for the heads up

which smith were you looking at?

M1917... I might consider another .45 ACP S&W, either the Brazilian M1937 or a commercial model, if there isn’t a decent M1917 at a decent price. Was considering a Colt, but with the grip and most Colt collectors suggesting to stick with S&W... it will have to be an awesome deal and somehow fit my hand. N-frames... I know fit well.

Wanted one for a while, maybe after Fury. But want to keep it US military for historical value. Plus, I feel it would be a cool carry gun on days like Independence or Memorial Day.

• Like 1

JM stamped Marlin.

Though I'm not sure if the older Marlins were made in 357/38.  

I would seriously consider a Henry.  Tbey are supposed to be THE lever action rifle manufacturer.

If you absolutely can't get over the tube feed then I've heard the newer Marlins are actually pretty good.  Hickock45 fairly recently did a video comparing the older JM stamped guns to the newer ones.  I'll link it below.

IMG_69171.jpg

If the gun is strictly for plinking, barrel length is more about balance than anything else.  It's what feels the best to you personally.  While shooting offhand, NOT from the bench!

FWIW, about 30-40 years ago, Remington made 240 gr JSP .44 Mag ammo packaged 20 rounds to the box (Hunting shells meant for rifles)!  Put those in my S&W Model 29 & I got FLAME at least a foot & more out of the muzzle.  The same(?) ammo in a 50 round box didn't flame-off or recoil as much, and was designed for pistols.  The longer burning powder in the 20 rd boxes hadn't finished burnin' in my 8 3/8" Model 29...

Fast forward to today and hot .357 loads are available for hunting & long range work (look for the orange boxes in Cabela's).  They ain't cheap, but they'll certainly make use of that longer barrel on a lever gun :) 

Safety is paramount.  If you're an easily-distracted SOB and don't feel comfortable screwin'-in the spring tube on a Henry because you leave a round in the chamber to perform a short reload (instead of runnin' the gun "dry"), your wanting a side-loader is a good idea.   Henry makes a great product, and the older levers are worth their weight in gold.  If you can't work the action strong-hand only, then it needs smoothed-out a might :)