MichaelDiggs

Looking for a dual 30mm scope ring

Currently using a Chinese made Weaver with thumb nuts that come loose. I can take care of the nuts with some thread locker but I'm a little anal having the nuts on the left side of the rifle. I want to have them on the right side. Checked out Amazon and they have 1000000 Chinese made models, but decided to fall back on my original mounts that I've used in the past for their light weight, quality and overpriced products. Daniel Defense. Obviously this will be a permanent mount and most likely be on the rifle until it dies. Anyone recommend  a "better" mount for less money? I don't mind paying $150, but always trying to keep my budget in line these days. First picture is what I'm using now and the second is the Daniel Defense model.

Weaver mount.jpg

danieldefense 30mm.jpg

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

What height do you want the center of the optic?

The lower the better.

Some people will almost take offense to this but I ditched my iron sights. Time to start relying on this expensive technology. Have to start somewhere and make the jump/change. I know most old school guys will always say you always need those iron sites. That's fine, I don't judge, but I'm looking forward and want to start relying on the new gear we have these days...and I also don't see me in a life or death shoot out anytime soon with it. Now the disclaimer is out of the way.....don't need to have this discussion all over again. Just my preference, that's all.

I actually use the scope as a red dot on 1x. Works great with its illuminated etched rectile. SFP, so it doesn't change size and it's only a 6x, so it works great for what I need. That's why I'm selling my Aimpoint Micro H2 and using the scope exclusively. Plus, my other AR has an Aimpoint on it so I'll have the best of both worlds. That Daniels Defense mount looks pretty low to me. Not bad, and it is light as heck. I have a nice throw lever coming to change the magnification a little quicker which is mostly just to make it easier for me to turn the dial.

So when I say the lower the better I'm just guessing that's what I would want if not co-witnessing anything. Why, do you have other mounts in mind that will work well? I even checked out a couple nice QD mounts which were a little heavier but I don't think I'll be removing the scope at all. ALTHOUGH I would like to remove the scope when I do my cleanings. I don't like to get chemicals or anything dripping or sprayed on the scope body. I was checking out those American Defense QD mounts at the PrimaryArms site, but the exact one I'd be interested in is always out of stock and the QD levers would still be on the left side of the weapon. I'd like it on the right. Lefty shooter here. Aero Precision makes a real nice one here, too bad it was not a QD.

https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Precision-Ultralight-Scope-Mount/dp/B00JVTD4EK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1547412988&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=aero+precision+30mm+scope+mount&psc=1&smid=A86M66Z7Z0Z95

and a nice price tag. I'd still like a good quality QD offset one with the levers on the right side. A non offset might work too, it is hard to tell if the scope itself will be in the best position since the top of my rail has an area where nothing can be mounted so it may take a couple purchases before I find the perfect one. 

Was checking this one out. See picture. $180 it is, but I'm hoping it fits the scope exactly where I want it. The offset 'should' help out with that.

MI-QD30SM_00.jpg

This part of my rail makes it a little more difficult to find the perfect mounting option. That Midwest offset one above with the QD levers on the right side should work just right. I like the scope pushed back about an inch behind the re-charge handle. That gives me the best viewing of the optic glass.

rail.jpg

If you are dispensing with the irons, why do you need a QD mount? And, if you want it as low as possible, why not just use rings, of the desired height, mounted directly to the rail on your receiver? That would give you the greatest mount position flexibility.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Like PB said, Why do you need QD if you aren’t using back-up irons? QD will do nothing for you except add weight, expense, and complexity.

That Aero Precision 30mm SPR Mount is the answer.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ultralight-30mm-spr-scope-mount

Amazon has it for $76. (Edit: I just saw you linked to It as well) It is lightweight and rock solid. 

Best value out there, in my opinion, for a low non-QD AR mount.

Thing is awesome if you want a 1.5” center height non-QD mount.

Personally, I find that the 1.47”-1.5” range about as low you can get and still use in all positions. I prefer a 1.93” center height on an AR.

3 hours ago, MichaelDiggs said:

This part of my rail makes it a little more difficult to find the perfect mounting option. That Midwest offset one above with the QD levers on the right side should work just right. I like the scope pushed back about an inch behind the re-charge handle. That gives me the best viewing of the optic glass.

rail.jpg

Most rifles have that skip in the 1913 rails at the front of the receiver. Not uncommon for rails to have a skip like that too.

What is that behind your ejection port?

Also, what kind of stock do you have? Is it pinned all the way in? If so, that may work for a RDS not for a magnified optic, you really need a longer LOP to make it usable in all positions.

In your photo, your current mount seems a bit forward from where you probably want it for best results. (It may be just a trick of the photo without the whole rifle being visible).

Here is a 1-4 Steiner in the Aero Mount I linked to above on a LaRue rifle. Note the placement of the mount and where the rear of the optic is in comparison to the LOP. This gives me the right eye relief for this optic and the fixed LOP makes the rifle usable standing, sitting, or prone.

TsYTQxL.jpg

This really is about as low as you can get an optic on an AR.

How are you going to see through the optic if it is mounted lower than 1.3", or there abouts, on center? There is no heel drop on an AR. You won't be able to get your cheek low enough.

From what I've gleaned from folks online; a mount should never straddle between your receiver and the handguard. Something about even the very best handguards have a good amount of flex in them, hurting accuracy/scope/mounts/receiver.

I could be wrong, and if I am, I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me. Otherwise, I've only heard good things about Aero mounts. Warne and Burris also get great reviews in that price range.

• Like 1

Ooo yes, read some things I never thought about. Can't go too low, wouldn't get a good fix on the glass. The weaver that's being used now sits up a little and is made for the AR platform, as so does that Aero Precision mount. Right from the Aero Precision site on their mount - "This scope mount is designed to fit AR type upper receivers with Mil-Spec 1913 Picatinny rails and features a cross-slot keyway that offers excellent recoil protection." So I should be able to get a good read on the glass fairly quickly.  It's only 3.3oz. Nice. So we are boiling it down to that Aero Precision mount or a couple light weight rings for real versatile mounting options. Yes, the end of my objective lens was exactly at the end of my charging handle. That was actually a little too close, so I just needed to push the scope forward a little bit and I got better visuals on the glass. We are all different, so whatever works best for the user. Couple questions I wanted to answer that were above. Someone asked what that was behind my ejection port from the photo looking at the rail picture from above. That actually is the ejection port covered with some cloth duct tape that discolored a little. The shells were obviously stripping the paint right off and I just wanted to slow that process down with adding something on top of the paint. It actually has helped a little and doesn't look obvious when viewing the rifle from the side. Can't stop that part of the rifle from getting wear and tear. I wish they made the shell deflectors replaceable. 

Was asked why would I want QD mounts? My AR's BCG's love oil. I clean the entire BCG group in an ultrasonic cleaner and then spray the rifle insides out with Lucas Extreme cleaner. Works the best and I barely need to use a brush at all. Then I oil everything up and during this process sometimes the oil drips and the spray deflects to my optics above. I've had my Aimpoint sprayed and oiled out of my carelessness ( no damage of course ) but not what I really want to happen to any optics or red dots. I do need to get a cover for that scope, just need to get the correct size.

Yea, I do wish that Aero was just a tad higher up but for the price and quality I may at least give it a try through Amazon. Their return policy is outstanding. :)

UPDATE: Yes, my stock is pinned but I can temporarily remove it and maybe pull it out one notch, which I have been thinking of doing anyway. I'm a tall person, long arms and do think I need a little more stock in there. This way I can probably bring the objective lens back to the end of the charging handle. I also want to stay off the split on the rail. Want to make sure that Aero mount sits on all single rail top. Not that good with math to actually figure it out without just trying it. Or could just order the Aero single piece SPR mount and a couple rings too and see what works best and return what does not. Aero also does make rings too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ended up ordering the Aero Precision SPR mount and a couple Aero Precision rings. I'll try the single unit first to see if I can get a good fit. Firstly I'll extend my stock out one notch. Then re-pin it. If I can't get the dual offset just right then I'll try the single rings. Never owned any Aero Precision gear, but it looks good. Strong stuff it is made out of and love the weight. Nice and light. Then I'll see if I can find a nice cover for my Strike Eagle Limited Edition scope, so I won't have to worry about getting any oil or spray back on it when I'm cleaning the rifle. My throw lever should be here tomorrow. And of course get some blue thread locker. I think I'm all out. Work tomorrow. Ugghhh. 

Well, here is the end result and I'm VERY happy with it. The Aero Precision mount is one of the best mounts I've handled in a long time. The fit and finish and amazing, and I love how light it is. I didn't need the rings, it just fit exactly where I needed the scope to be. I still need to pull the stock out one notch, but I'll do that over the weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions and chit chat. It really helped out a lot to spit suggestions out and just BS about it.

mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

16 hours ago, MichaelDiggs said:

Well, here is the end result and I'm VERY happy with it. The Aero Precision mount is one of the best mounts I've handled in a long time. The fit and finish and amazing, and I love how light it is. I didn't need the rings, it just fit exactly where I needed the scope to be. I still need to pull the stock out one notch, but I'll do that over the weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions and chit chat. It really helped out a lot to spit suggestions out and just BS about it.

mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

good call. I have 2 of these and I love them. Light as hell and screw on solid, absolutely no wiggle.