jm1827

Firewood?

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I might be able to find some firewood?  I live near Exit 8 on the NJTPK, looking for maybe 1/2 cord delivered.

If anyone has any recommendations let me know.

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Not sure what your using it for, but buying firewood in the middle of the winter is tricky, it's almost never seasoned, as most was sold off over the summer and fall.

Good point, and it would be for fireplace use, some this year some next.  My brother in law was my former supplier, unfortunately he moved to WV for an urgent assignment so I am out of a supply chain for now.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:36 PM, 1LtCAP said:

i don't have a way to deliver for ya.....but i've got a little extra down here you can have.....it's not chopped yet though.

Thanks for the offer- where are you located?  I may be able to borrow a truck one of these days, and I have a chain saw.

2 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Not sure what your using it for, but buying firewood in the middle of the winter is tricky, it's almost never seasoned, as most was sold off over the summer and fall.

That is very true. Most of the wood im selling now was split in October.  All of my older wood was sold by dec.  if you get wood now.  Try to get ash.  It burns faster but dries out within a month or so.  This year was very hard to get the wood to cure/dry out.  We had precipitation every few days.  

2 hours ago, Golf battery said:

That is very true. Most of the wood im selling now was split in October.  All of my older wood was sold by dec.  if you get wood now.  Try to get ash.  It burns faster but dries out within a month or so.  This year was very hard to get the wood to cure/dry out.  We had precipitation every few days.  

I buy my firewood in the spring.    No one ever splits it enough for my liking so I split half of it again and stack...often on my long 4th of July weekend.  Also, I don't think I've ever bought truly seasoned wood, most of it has been sitting in a giant pile for some period of time but it's not ready to burn.  Once stacked, I cover the top of the pile with 36" wide plastic so the sides are open.   By the time I start burning, it's good enough and by now(January) you can start it with a match.

I try to do at least two cords myself, but I burn 3-5.

I have bought wood this time of year.   While not green, it'll sizzle for a long time before it burns and you end up getting a lot of smokey fires.  The last time I was in that situation, I bought a couple of pallets of kiln dried firewood and mixed the two.  $140/face cord for kiln dried.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malsua said:

I buy my firewood in the spring.    No one ever splits it enough for my liking so I split half of it again and stack...often on my long 4th of July weekend.  Also, I don't think I've ever bought truly seasoned wood, most of it has been sitting in a giant pile for some period of time but it's not ready to burn.  Once stacked, I cover the top of the pile with 36" wide plastic so the sides are open.   By the time I start burning, it's good enough and by now(January) you can start it with a match.

I try to do at least two cords myself, but I burn 3-5.

I have bought wood this time of year.   While not green, it'll sizzle for a long time before it burns and you end up getting a lot of smokey fires.  The last time I was in that situation, I bought a couple of pallets of kiln dried firewood and mixed the two.  $140/face cord for kiln dried.

If you burn wood all winter, this is the only way to do it. I too, have never received seasoned wood. You just have to do it yourself, and stack it by midsummer. The first year we moved in, middle of winter, I paid for "seasoned wood" it might as well have been cut the day before.. we had a chimney fire the following season in December after running a brand new stove for only  3 months. 2 months of wet wood was enough, by the following year I had some nice hot burning dry wood. Within the month I heard it lite up, luckily there wasnt too much creasote build up but it was enough to send embers all over the lawn/house. Double luckily it was raining that night. 

I stack 3 cords together. I use 8 foot racks on the ends and stack 4 rows between them on gravel. Cover with tarp... This year I'm gonna build a awning so I don't have to fuss with the tarp. I'm also gonna order the wood by may so there is no question it will be dry. After this year, it was almost impossible to get the wood to dry by November with all the rain. 

Dry wood is effortless, a match or minimal embers is all it takes to lite up. Which cuts out the annoyance of storing and using kindling.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

If you burn wood all winter, this is the only way to do it. I too, have never received seasoned wood. You just have to do it yourself, and stack it by midsummer. The first year we moved in, middle of winter, I paid for "seasoned wood" it might as well have been cut the day before.. we had a chimney fire the following season in December after running a brand new stove for only  3 months. 2 months of wet wood was enough, by the following year I had some nice hot burning dry wood. Within the month I heard it lite up, luckily there wasnt too much creasote build up but it was enough to send embers all over the lawn/house. Double luckily it was raining that night. 

I stack 3 cords together. I use 8 foot racks on the ends and stack 4 rows between them on gravel. Cover with tarp... This year I'm gonna build a awning so I don't have to fuss with the tarp. I'm also gonna order the wood by may so there is no question it will be dry. After this year, it was almost impossible to get the wood to dry by November with all the rain. 

Dry wood is effortless, a match or minimal embers is all it takes to lite up. Which cuts out the annoyance of storing and using kindling.

Get a “ Chimeny Fire stop” . It starves the oxygen. 

I saw those, i just need to get to the lowes in Mt. Olive that carries them. Theyre hard to find with out over spending on them. I do want one just to CYA.

I drop rutlands creosote remover in once a week and clean it every 3 months with the soot eater. I cant imagine I would have one again but its crazy how much soot comes out of 20 feet of pipe from daily burning.

Im just so overly cautious at this point, i try and warn people how dangerous it really is to burn wet wood, choke out your fire even with dry wood, or not clean your chimney.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I saw those, i just need to get to the lowes in Mt. Olive that carries them. Theyre hard to find with out over spending on them. I do want one just to CYA.

I drop rutlands creosote remover in once a week and clean it every 3 months with the soot eater. I cant imagine I would have one again but its crazy how much soot comes out of 20 feet of pipe from daily burning.

Im just so overly cautious at this point, i try and warn people how dangerous it really is to burn wet wood, choke out your fire even with dry wood, or not clean your chimney.

Nw everyone burns pine. Back me up @10X . You jus have to be mindful and smert. Also sweep the chimney more often.

@jm1827 ck every landscape and tree service in your area. Also call local landscape supply. Word of mouth is still the most honest advertising 

I have been burning 5 cords of wood per season for the best part of 20 years and I clean the chimney once a year - I have a service come in.

I think the result of your fires is not that the wood is wet per se but you are burning too low - you gotta be 400 plus to burn clean.

Also wood the the upcoming season needs to be split and stacked at least 6 mo in advance IMO in a well ventilated elevated covered rack/shed - any less and it is NOT seasoned and ready for a stove.  Too dry is also not good as the fire can be tough to regulate

There are those that I see cover the wood with tarps sitting on the ground - all it does is attract more moisture.

Save your money on brand chemical cleaners - use some rock salt - BUT the sodium chloride can destroy your chimney with too much use.

Also CHIMFEX two by each stove.

I've been burning for a solid 23 years now, the same fireplace insert.   We used to clean twice a year and it needed it, now it's once and while it needs it, it's not really all that bad.

The difference?  We added 6 feet to the liner and chimney when we added on to the house and insulated the hell out of it.  Now it stays hot all the way out and doesn't creosote up near the top.  Huge difference.

I have clogged it by choking it down overnight, then packing it full and choking it off until I got home from work.   When it is your only heat and you're not going to be home...not sure what else I could have done.  Frozen pipes perhaps?    We have a boiler now though.

When we moved into our house 26 years ago, I built a wood shed from pressure treaded wood for the frame and plywood sheathed roof. On the inside I nailed chicken wire tight all the way up to the roof. The outside is vinyl siding with a 3 tab shingle roof. No problems with insects. Every year I fill it up in the summer, it holds about 2 1/2 cords of wood. The first year I stacked the wood until you could not fit another piece in it. When it came time to burn in the winter, at first I thought someone hopped my fence and was stealing wood. Then I realized it had shrunk after the moisture left the wood. It was at least 1' lower in height than when I first stacked it. No tarps to move, just fill the wheel barrow and burn.

• Like 1