JMich3

Medical Marijuana = No Permits

26 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Why would they omit the other states that legalized during the same time periods as those states included in the study? 

13 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

The first bottle, you may have a point.. The second, third fourth etc.... that becomes a systemic prescribing issue. 

To your last paragraph.... how do you know he wasn't suffering from a medical condition? I don't agree with the driving part, tho. There isn't really any question to the addictiveness of pot, it is purely habitual. Taking a snap shot of someone's life and trying to analyze it isn't very productive in this conversation. We're getting into some hardcore reefer maddness here if were even going to start with comparing it to heroin.... 

Shit, i know women who cant relax without their nightly glass of wine, or people i literally cant talk to until they have their morning coffee.

At the end of the day, we all do things that alter our mood, habitually.. I'm sure there are people here who get worked up if they don't go shooting regularly... 

I don't know if he was suffering from a medical condition.  All I know is when he was going in he was acting like a heroin addict needing a fix.  His relief after lighting up was like a heroin addict getting the rush.  No reefer madness just relating what I saw.  Not comparing it to heroin but that's the way he acted.

53 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I don’t find it surprising. I am willing to bet that most of the people using it post legalization were using it previously. It’s not like the medical card screening process was very strict before CO made it legal recreationally. 

id consider cell phones, nav, and all the other shit ive seen people do, reading a book (yes a book, like a novel) newspaper, putting on makeup, etc plus drinking, to be way more hazardous then someone whos stoned. if theyre to stoned to drive odds are theyre stuck on a couch gigleing some where.

21 hours ago, SuRrEaLNJ said:

id consider cell phones, nav, and all the other shit ive seen people do, reading a book (yes a book, like a novel) newspaper, putting on makeup, etc plus drinking, to be way more hazardous then someone whos stoned. if theyre to stoned to drive odds are theyre stuck on a couch gigleing some where.

Dont forget laptops. I got tboned by some idiot who admitted to typing while driving. 

• Agree 1

Generally not a good idea to put yourself on any lists or licenses when you don't have a very good reason to. Especially when that license is for something that is "legal" purely because they haven't bothered to go after it...yet. Doule that for something that may endanger your other rights.
What about CBD oil? Is it allowed?

2 hours ago, olouttt said:

Generally not a good idea to put yourself on any lists or licenses when you don't have a very good reason to. Especially when that license is for something that is "legal" purely because they haven't bothered to go after it...yet. Doule that for something that may endanger your other rights.
What about CBD oil? Is it allowed?

I work for a local government and have a CDL. Guidance from the State Of NJ is that CDL holders should not use CBD products as they may cause a positive test and it will be held against your record. This was only for CDL holders.

Honolulu still won't issue permits to anyone holding a medical marijuana card.

No firearms permits for medical marijuana users.

And let's not forget, when they first implemented that they also sent letters to Honolulu gun owners giving them 30 days to surrender all firearms and ammunition to the Honolulu PD.   They later backed off of the 'surrender' requirement.   For now. 

38 minutes ago, 10X said:

Honolulu still won't issue permits to anyone holding a medical marijuana card.

No firearms permits for medical marijuana users.

And let's not forget, when they first implemented that they also sent letters to Honolulu gun owners giving them 30 days to surrender all firearms and ammunition to the Honolulu PD.   They later backed off of the 'surrender' requirement.   For now. 

SO stupid. They need to take marijuana off the schedule 1 drug list at the federal level.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, carl_g said:

SO stupid. They need to take marijuana off the schedule 1 drug list at the federal level.

I agree--it never made sense to be Schedule 1.  Schedule 3 is about where it belongs, but even if it dropped to Schedule 4 it wouldn't preclude Honolulu (or Murphy) from taking the same action--it would just look like even more of an overreach.  

2 hours ago, 10X said:

I agree--it never made sense to be Schedule 1.  Schedule 3 is about where it belongs, but even if it dropped to Schedule 4 it wouldn't preclude Honolulu (or Murphy) from taking the same action--it would just look like even more of an overreach.  

Can they do that? Do people get denied permits, ect.. for being prescribed one of these schedule(4) drugs like Ambien?

4 minutes ago, carl_g said:

Can they do that? Do people get denied permits, ect.. for being prescribed one of these schedule(4) drugs like Ambien?

I doubt it, I think because drugs like Ambien are legal at the federal level if you have a prescription.  Marijuana is illegal at the federal level, even if you have a prescription.   Which is weird.  But here we are.

The relevant question on the Federal form 4473 is:

1. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?

Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:33 AM, JackDaWack said:

Why would they omit the other states that legalized during the same time periods as those states included in the study? 

Cherry picking? Heck you don't even need ot go to cherry picking.  They say a lot withough explaining their number. 

It rose 5.2 and 6 percent compared to neighboring states without legalized weed. Like did the non weed states see zero increase and they saw 5.1 and 6? That's what they like to imply. Or did every state see an increase, but the weed states saw 5.2 and 6 percent more of an increase. In that case you are talking about 101% in the non weed stated and 101.5% in the weed states. Which is much less dramatic. 

Either way there's a reason they talk around the methodology without using clear simple language or technically accurate language. Lots of "things were done.. to control things". 

18 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Cherry picking? Heck you don't even need ot go to cherry picking.  They say a lot withough explaining their number. 

It rose 5.2 and 6 percent compared to neighboring states without legalized weed. Like did the non weed states see zero increase and they saw 5.1 and 6? That's what they like to imply. Or did every state see an increase, but the weed states saw 5.2 and 6 percent more of an increase. In that case you are talking about 101% in the non weed stated and 101.5% in the weed states. Which is much less dramatic. 

Either way there's a reason they talk around the methodology without using clear simple language or technically accurate language. Lots of "things were done.. to control things". 

In a Bio Stats course I had to take back in college it was explained to me that most studies omit data labeled "outliers", and its "scientifically" acceptable... which kinda blew me away... and its why I spend more time reading methodology than results. 

• Agree 1

On 1/14/2019 at 11:31 AM, GRIZ said:

@Ray Ray being an alcoholic is also a disqualifier.

I see no problem with him being denied.  I think the benefits of medical marijuana are overplayed and exaggerated.  Arthritis is one of the ailments marijuana is claimed to help for example.  I can name maybe a dozen drugs used to treat arthritis and I'm sure there are many more. None of them work and marijuana does?  I didn't just fall off a cabbage truck.

I think "Gun Owners for Legal Marijuana" doesn't help our cause.  It can only be used against us.

"alcoholic" is a non-quantative terms though; whereas MJ use is explicitly prohibited in any quantity or for any reason currently.

It's like the old joke:
is 4 a lot? depends on the what.  Apples? not really.  Murders? yea that's a lot. :D

1 hour ago, 10X said:

I doubt it, I think because drugs like Ambien are legal at the federal level if you have a prescription.  Marijuana is illegal at the federal level, even if you have a prescription.   Which is weird.  But here we are.

The NYS pistol permit process is very invasive. You are required to disclose if you've ever had a DUI. They also ask have you ever been treated for a mental illness. Not committed just treated.  People have been initially denied a permit based on how they answer that inquiry.  They usually are granted the permit after hiring a lawyer to contest the denial. 

There are a few threads on https://nyfirearms.com/forums/ and https://nygunforum.com/

This is the attorney in PA I used for consultation to acquire a resident PA LTCF, and also to confirm and legally execute firearm purchases in PA. Some may want to keep an eye on this.

He's the Evan Nappen of NJ. Only IMO better.

Monumental Second Amendment Case, Challenging the Constitutionality of Stripping Medical Marijuana Users of Their Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Filed in PA Federal District Court – Prince Law Offices Blog

On 1/24/2024 at 10:24 PM, 45Doll said:

This is the attorney in PA I used for consultation to acquire a resident PA LTCF, and also to confirm and legally execute firearm purchases in PA. Some may want to keep an eye on this.

He's the Evan Nappen of NJ. Only IMO better.

Monumental Second Amendment Case, Challenging the Constitutionality of Stripping Medical Marijuana Users of Their Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Filed in PA Federal District Court – Prince Law Offices Blog

Yes.  Prince had done lots of great work in Pennsylvania.

23 hours ago, father-of-three said:

Yes.  Prince had done lots of great work in Pennsylvania.

I've heard both of them talk (Nappen and Prince).

There is no comparison.