Sniper

Oregon bill would cap magazines to 5 rounds, ration ammo to 20 rounds/month

It's creeping closer.... They're not even trying to make it look subtle.

State Sen. Rob Wagner has submitted SB 501 for the upcoming session. Wagner’s bill would require licensing for gun owners prior to purchase, outlaw firearm magazines capable of holding more than five rounds and limit individual ammunition sales to no more than 20 rounds every 30 days.

Besides its restrictions on ammunition and requirements for licensing, SB 501 would also mandate that background checks be delayed for 14-days so that state police can research would-be buyers, fine gun owners who failed to report lost or stolen firearms and require guns be locked up when not in use. There would be no grandfathering of magazines affected by the ban.

Senate Bill 501
Sponsored by Senator WAGNER, Representative SALINAS (at the request of Students for Change) (Presession filed.)
SUMMARY
The following summary is not prepared by the sponsors of the measure and is not a part of the body thereof subject
to consideration by the Legislative Assembly. It is an editor’s brief statement of the essential features of the
measure as introduced.

Requires person to secure permit before purchasing or otherwise receiving firearm. Specifies
qualifications for permit and manner of applying for permit. Creates procedures for appealing denial
of permit. Punishes receipt of firearm without valid permit by maximum of 364 days’ imprisonment,
$6,250 fine, or both.

Requires person who owns or possesses firearm to secure firearm with trigger or cable lock or
in locked container. Punishes failure to secure firearm by maximum of 30 days’ imprisonment, $1,250
fine, or both.

Requires person who owns or possesses firearm to report to law enforcement agency loss or
theft of firearm within 24 hours. Punishes failure to report loss or theft by maximum of 30 days’
imprisonment, $1,250 fine, or both.

Prohibits possession of magazine with capacity to hold more than five rounds of ammunition.
Provides that person in possession of such magazine must sell or otherwise dispose of magazine
within 180 days of effective date of Act. Punishes unlawful possession of magazine capable of holding
more than five rounds by maximum of 364 days’ imprisonment, $6,250 fine, or both.

Requires criminal background check before transfer of ammunition. Restricts ammunition receipt
to 20 rounds within 30-day period.

Prohibits transfer of firearm by gun dealer or private party until latter of 14 days or Department
of State Police has determined that recipient is qualified to receive firearm.

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/01/14/oregon-bill-would-cap-magazines-to-5-rds-ration-ammo-to-20-rds-month

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB501

1 minute ago, 1563621 said:

Twisted smurphy is thinking about this!

Well personally I'm waiting for the big one to come sooner rather than later.  Although Ginsberg being gone would be the perfect world, I'd like to get this over.  Like ripping a band-aid.  This nickle and dime stuff is getting tired.  I want enough years left in my life to enjoy the freedoms.   

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Howard said:

Seems like a good law, if they can limit gun owner to only 20 rounds a month they can insure they are not accurate as they won't have any opportunity to practice. :(

Crap, under this law you can't even buy a box of handgun ammo. 

Note that this ammo ration stuff was the same thing NY tried to stick into their SAFE laws. They wanted to limit you to buying only twice the number of rounds your mags held. That got cut from the final bill, but it doesn't mean these Communist won't try and make something stick again.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 1:12 PM, Malsua said:

20 rounds a month?

That's not a problem, that's an opportunity.   Smugglers love imbalances like that. 

Exactly, like Prohibition days.  Now we call it arbitrage.

I figure I could get there in about 2 days with 20,000 boxes in the back.   Then a casual stay in Vegas on the way back.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:36 PM, rtquig said:

Not so. You can be convicted of a Felony and do zero prison time.

I believe that a felony is a crime that is punishable by imprisonment for more than one year or by death.  It is the amount of time you can be sentenced that matters, not the actual sentence. You can be convicted of a felony and serve no time, but the possible sentence for the conviction must for more than one year. It looks like in OR it would qualify as a misdemeanor.