UTG receiver rail with a UTG Bulldot green laser

CDM Gear Shockwave rail/sling mount 

Streamlight TLR-1 (Gen 1)

Talon grip tape

20190114_162120.jpg

• Like 1

I really like this one:

12Ws9Lo.jpg

Remington version but I’m sure you could do it with a Mossberg.

This is the only one I’ve seen that makes me want one....

Its a clone (plus side-saddle) of the Witness Protection Shotgun the US Marshall’s carried back in the day.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/wilson-witness-protection-870/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Roger that, Ray Charles... ;)

Still irks me to see just the receiver done. But if your happy, guess that is the important part.

Irks me too

9 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

How are you liking that Bulldot?

Works as advertised 

@Ray Ray brother, you know I love ya but I'm afraid your taste is all in your mouth.  This is what Shockwave perfection looks like.  True, it's not as utilitarian as one decked out with lasers and lights and marine coating.  But. aesthetically, this is what perfection looks like.

36095010504_332ba0da65_b.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

On 1/15/2019 at 6:48 PM, High Exposure said:

I really like this one:

12Ws9Lo.jpg

Remington version but I’m sure you could do it with a Mossberg.

This is the only one I’ve seen that makes me want one....

Its a clone (plus side-saddle) of the Witness Protection Shotgun the US Marshall’s carried back in the day.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/wilson-witness-protection-870/

I don't often like what you like, but when I do...

That's the nicest looking one of these abominations I've seen so far.  I'd consider owning that.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bully said:

I don't often like what you like, but when I do...

That's the nicest looking one of these abominations I've seen so far.  I'd consider owning that.  

don't knock it till ya try it

46 minutes ago, sgtdave4321 said:

SB Tactical brace?

43 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Folder... :good:

both suck

9 hours ago, Screwball said:

Not all folding setups are equal... but to each their own.

True, but it fails on many points.  One being pistol gripped, shoulder fired Mossbergs are unnatural due to the controls and recoil control.  Another being a bad checkweld.  And another being too short for standard height men.  Another being recoil management.

Well, one is because of your manufacturer preference... ;)

Cheekweld, I’ll agree... but easily fixed with higher sights. Goes back to the last sentence, but easily have rifle-sight barrels for the 870. Or go red-dot.

Other two, man up! :D Seriously, short length of pull... unless you get it down to a very unrealistic length... is adaptable. Ideal? No, but it is doable.

Don’t know what the length of pull is on fixed braces, but mine is 13.5”. Uses an AR tube, so you’ll be able to change length of pull by using different braces. If that’s too short to use, you are one lengthy individual. I’m 5’11”, and works fine. Even those shortened 870 top folders (12”, if I remember correctly) weren’t that uncomfortable... well, other than the metal cheekweld you’d get on recoil.

14 hours ago, Screwball said:

Well, one is because of your manufacturer preference... ;)

Cheekweld, I’ll agree... but easily fixed with higher sights. Goes back to the last sentence, but easily have rifle-sight barrels for the 870. Or go red-dot.

Other two, man up! :D Seriously, short length of pull... unless you get it down to a very unrealistic length... is adaptable. Ideal? No, but it is doable.

Don’t know what the length of pull is on fixed braces, but mine is 13.5”. Uses an AR tube, so you’ll be able to change length of pull by using different braces. If that’s too short to use, you are one lengthy individual. I’m 5’11”, and works fine. Even those shortened 870 top folders (12”, if I remember correctly) weren’t that uncomfortable... well, other than the metal cheekweld you’d get on recoil.

1.  It has been known that the 500 vs 870 battle is over, Mossberg won.  

2.  Rifle sights on a Shockwave, no.

3.  Too short is too short.  Not everyone is 5'11".  I am 6'4 and even a fully extended AR stock isn't ideal.  

4.  I win

7 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

4.  I win

Guess that is the case when only you are competing... glad you really need to justify your gun that much. I just make decisions with mine, and if X disagrees, so be it. ;)

Shy of that, glad you are lengthy... but let me know when Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, or Robar goes Mossberg over Remington. :bye:

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

Guess that is the case when only you are competing... glad you really need to justify your gun that much. I just make decisions with mine, and if X disagrees, so be it. ;)

Shy of that, glad you are lengthy... but let me know when Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, or Robar goes Mossberg over Remington. :bye:

I'll let you know when the US armed forces take the 870 instead of the 590A1.

How's your R51 doing?  And the RP9 or 45?  

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I'll let you know when the US armed forces take the 870 instead of the 590A1.

How's your R51 doing?  And the RP9 or 45?  

Again, this is definitely your type of shotgun... won the trials because they were the only one submitted. Got to love that track record. :good:

When did I buy an R51, RP9 or RP45? If I were to buy a Remington handgun, would be on my C&R. An original R51 doesn’t have a chance of going into my A&D book until I cross some other off the list (Colt or S&W M1917 has precedence). Modern handgun wise, my list is too specific; H&K P7M8, Glock 34/26, PTR 9CT, maybe a .45 Luger (that is more of I win $7,000 and don’t have anything else to put it towards), and if I like a gun CBP authorizes for duty use that isn’t their issued sidearm... that.

No issues with my 11-87s, 870 Police, TAC-14, or Model 7. Mossberg...they put their name on the SRII (Turkish shotgun), which went back to them twice. And then the 500 JIC2, which had the brass threads of the bead sight protruding into the barrel (not the only one I saw that on). Sorry, but you don’t see that on Remington factory barrels.

51 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Again, this is definitely your type of shotgun... won the trials because they were the only one submitted. Got to love that track record. :good:

When did I buy an R51, RP9 or RP45? If I were to buy a Remington handgun, would be on my C&R. An original R51 doesn’t have a chance of going into my A&D book until I cross some other off the list (Colt or S&W M1917 has precedence). Modern handgun wise, my list is too specific; H&K P7M8, Glock 34/26, PTR 9CT, maybe a .45 Luger (that is more of I win $7,000 and don’t have anything else to put it towards), and if I like a gun CBP authorizes for duty use that isn’t their issued sidearm... that.

No issues with my 11-87s, 870 Police, TAC-14, or Model 7. Mossberg...they put their name on the SRII (Turkish shotgun), which went back to them twice. And then the 500 JIC2, which had the brass threads of the bead sight protruding into the barrel (not the only one I saw that on). Sorry, but you don’t see that on Remington factory barrels.

Come on, you seem like a shmart kat.  You have to know that Remington has quality control issues, mismanagement on all levels and poor craftsmanship?  Just look it up.  Everyone knows it.  But people like you and HE still think it's 1990 and Big Green is top dog and Mossberg is a sub standard replacement.  

You need companies like Wilson Combat and Nighthawk Custom to fix an 870, otherwise you're possibly in for a lemon.

27 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Come on, you seem like a shmart kat.  You have to know that Remington has quality control issues, mismanagement on all levels and poor craftsmanship?  Just look it up.  Everyone knows it.  But people like you and HE still think it's 1990 and Big Green is top dog and Mossberg is a sub standard replacement.  

You need companies like Wilson Combat and Nighthawk Custom to fix an 870, otherwise you're possibly in for a lemon.

Quality control is suffering among all companies... that being said, I have Remington shotguns through the good and the “bad.” Older ones, never an issue. Just prior to it getting “bad,” my only issue was a polymer follower getting stuck in the cold... solution, all my Remington shotguns get stainless followers.

I’ve heard plenty of bad about Remington. I listen to a lot of Ryan Cleckner’s podcasts, who used to work for them. Best one that he said was a rifle (don’t think it was a 700, but one of the budget models) that was sent out with no rifling. If that was one of those 16” 700s... would have technically been a SBS. That is a mass production issue, and I’m sure you can find a situation similar with any manufacturer... if you look hard enough. But I never refuted Remington bobbles over the years.

Other than being very happy using my C&R, I thought I touched on the new R51 in another thread... which I also believe you posted in. I seriously don’t have any interest in Remington’s current handguns, but doesn’t mean I don’t have any experience with them. My father shoots his 1911 regularly (an earlier one... when they brought them back around 2010ish)... no issues. I bought my Ruger SR1911 a year or two after him... and no problems there, either (well, odd dovetails... which made replacement sights a little more expensive).

I couldn’t get a “firearm” from an earlier era, as they didn’t make them back then. Bit the bullet... and my TAC-14 was good to go (still swapped the follower). Even if the gun didn’t run, they are going to ship it to the factory, get it running, and ship it straight back to me. To say that Remington guns don’t work is a big exaggeration... but you buy them over the Chinese clones for that warranty.

I also don’t automatically take what is posted on the internet as gospel, being you’ll always hear the bad... doesn’t mean you’ll hear the good. That one TAC-14, been good to go... I can only attest to that and any new Remingtons friends/family have used (nothing blowing up my skirt, out of let’s say five guns; with how you make it out, four of them should be broken down... as well as mine).

Likewise, your Shockwave may be awesome... but does that wave away the half dozen 500s I’ve seen that looked like they were made in a sweatshop? And the few of those I cycled gave me the feeling of Kel-Tec (not a jab directly at Kel-Tec, but it is a product made for those who aren’t looking to invest in more expensive firearms... and quality does reflect that). I also used to hunt with an 835 UltraMag... light gun, and could chamber 3.5” shells. But with those... it was a single shot. Would not eject them without me pulling them out of the receiver by hand. Tried two brands, no change... then said screw it and stuck with 3” and 11-87s.

Does the 500 work? Yes, however I don’t view it with the same enthusiasm as you. Why did they win the military contract? They can produce a gun so cheap that Remington and others couldn’t compete. Is there anything wrong with that? Not at all, unless you plan on working the action over... which is why those companies build off 870s. 870s were used in the military for years... Mossberg winning by default doesn’t mean the 870 was dropped for any reason other than finances (how many other times has the dollar been the deciding factor). Nobody builds custom shotguns off Mossbergs for a reason... and usually the same reason some prefer 870s over 500s; ability to really work over the action. That is what happens when you put out an economic shotgun. Look at Ruger... uses a similar business model with some product lines.

To get back to my original point; who is right or wrong? Neither. Are there faults with Remington? Yes... which is why my TAC-14, and likely the future TAC-13, are going to head down to Robar (my 870 Police finish held up ok... but was redone in NP3 Plus). Are their faults with Mossberg? Even if you don’t want to admit it... there most certainly are. You can feel however you want, but those who refuse to see the bad in their own brand really don’t have a leg to stand on. “I bought it, so it is the best!” Well, I got a pistol grip on my TAC-14 that, as you point out, is not optimal on a Shockwave. I like that setup... so you “winning” is a moot point to me.

Sorry it took so long to reply, but really not digging the mobile site anymore on my iPhone. Got halfway through the second paragraph, and realized it was a run-on sentence. Will also add, there is slight comic relief in this post... Ray Ray, as always, no grief intended. Tried to do put emoji where I was kidding, but after this reply, said screw it.

• Informative 1

I picked up one of these in .410 bore the other day, but apparently the grips and receiver are slightly different so the accessories don't quite match up. I wanted a crimson trace laser saddle and a custom grip, however none of them seem to be compatible unfortunately. Anyone accessorize a .410 version yet?