MichaelDiggs

Grip on my FN 509 tactical too aggressive

I want to damper the grip texture on my FN 509 tactical. After a good hour of shooting it, my hands are sometimes red as heck and raw. No blood, but the grip just digs into my soft baby hands. Is there some kind of grip tape or something that tames the robust grip texture? I don't want to necessarily cover the entire grip, but just where it is real aggressive. I know they must make some kind of grip tape for an application like this, right? Instead of making it more aggressive I want to go the opposite direction.  :)  I just love shooting this pistol, it is hard to put down.

fn509.jpg

45 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Maybe sand them down a bit?  Or get rid of your death grip on the gun!

For glocks, I use grip tape... same stuff sold in skateboard stores. 

I would think grip tape would make them worse. I do not want to permanently modify the pistol by sanding down the grip texture. I have been looking at Talongrips the rubber option seems to be for softer hands and turns down real aggressive grip texture. Only $19.99. Worth a try maybe.

Right from Talongrips website.

"The rubber texture is a textured rubberized material that maintains positive grip on the firearm and is well suited for complete comfort during concealed carry. This also ideal for those with softer hands. "

1 minute ago, MichaelDiggs said:

I would think grip tape would make them worse. I do not want to permanently modify the pistol by sanding down the grip texture. I have been looking at Talongrips the rubber option seems to be for softer hands and turns down real aggressive grip texture. Only $19.99. Worth a try maybe.

Grip tape comes in a few varieties... some more aggressive than others. 

But if your hands are almost bloody... you really may be death gripping the gun. 

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Grip tape comes in a few varieties... some more aggressive than others. 

But if your hands are almost bloody... you really may be death gripping the gun. 

Not at all. I just happen to work in the IT field and use Gold Bond hand cream to keep my baby hands nice and soft. :)  They are easily affected by aggressive grip textures, and the FN 509 Tactical is one of the most aggressive I have. I can tolerate all my others very easily. Don't want to use shooting gloves, I want to keep the feel of the gun still.

Just found out my Dad closed on a large house/property in Delaware. Finally I'll be able to maybe enjoy my firearms the way they should be. Surrounded by woods, silencers being legal, he has the motivation to create a nice shooting range in his back yard for us. Just had to spew that out there.

if you really want to knock down the aggressiveness of the grip you can try the following.

1. Very light grit sand paper maybe (200) on a wooden block and just slightly rub the parts you want knocked down.

2. Speak to the grip in a calm manner along with positive reinforcement and it will most likely become less aggressive.

• Agree 1

Get the Talon rubber grip tape. I have an HK USP compact. Love everything about the gun except the grips. Just couldn't get used to the feel of them. Tried the Hogue wrap around with finger grooves that slip over the grips but wasn't a fan.

The Talon rubber was perfect. It smoothed out the texture but didn't change the width like the Hogues did.

Before sanding I would try these first. If you don't like them they are easily removed.

30 minutes ago, papulski said:

Get the Talon rubber grip tape. I have an HK USP compact. Love everything about the gun except the grips. Just couldn't get used to the feel of them. Tried the Hogue wrap around with finger grooves that slip over the grips but wasn't a fan.

The Talon rubber was perfect. It smoothed out the texture but didn't change the width like the Hogues did.

Before sanding I would try these first. If you don't like them they are easily removed.

Thanks. I was thinking the same lines here with trying the Talon rubber grips.

11 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Man up

Just jealous I have nice soft hands. Trust me, I still have hard spots all over from doing that hard labor when I worked as a landscaper for several years. Never wore gloves then and my hands were like leather. Grew up a little bit, got a nice cozy job and took a few years to get my hands back to normal human hands instead of leather face ones. I have those MechanixWear gloves myself. I use them or rubber gloves when working on my car, changing the oil, etc.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Love the P10C

When I first started shooting I loved the hogue rubber grips.

At some point, something clicked or changed and I went to as aggressive as I could get. lol.

Probably due to shooting mostly in matches... the rubber and plastic grips get too slippery as your hands sweat in the summer time outside.

• Agree 1

Like Steve said.....

I had VZ Grips that were just too aggressive and I have rough hands. What I found is sometimes the manufacturer really didn't give some a light removal of sharp points. Easiest and safest way to not damage or mar the grips was to take my wife's fine emery board and gently just drift it over the grips. Barely no pressure, just use 2 fingers and drift. Helped a lot. Try in a small area. I've done this on several grips and you cannot even see any difference but felt the difference.