Malsua

Saturday 19th Ice/Snow Storm

26 minutes ago, Howard said:

I think that is what they call it, much is still new to me.  Whatever it is, it propagates by runners and there is no seed for it.  Sort of sucks as when the dogs dig it up you can only replace it with sod :(   To me it is more a weed than it is grass.

That is St Augustine grass.  It stays green all year round and doesn’t need to be cut between Dec-Mar.

Why do you have a leaf in your picture?  I only have palm trees on my lot, with stringy pines in the preserve behind. I never lift a shovel nor a rake. 

Here is what is important. This is from Global Warming.... oh I forgot, there is no warming so  it is from Climate Change.

I need a big carbon tax to keep me sassy.

Please stop breathing and farting.  Bad for the polar bears. 

Here's the current prediction chart. I picked a point in the middle of the state. Looks like the biggest deal is the temperature drop Sunday night. Boy, having some "Global Warming" would really be nice right about now!

edison.jpg

33 minutes ago, falcone said:

I’m flying out Monday night. Hope there won’t be lingering delays 

I was in Ohio in Feb 2003, a big storm hit on Fri/Sat  I wasn't able to get a flight out until the following Wednesday even though the original flight was Monday Morning.

The worst part, I parked in hourly parking because it was supposed to be a short trip.  I think I paid almost as much to park as I did for the flight.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SW9racer said:

That is St Augustine grass.  It stays green all year round and doesn’t need to be cut between Dec-Mar.

Why do you have a leaf in your picture?  I only have palm trees on my lot, with stringy pines in the preserve behind. I never lift a shovel nor a rake. 

Sure wish you told the grass that it did not need to be cut, just mowed it yesterday!    I'm in Northern FL, we have "Real" trees that actually lose their leaves too :)  

47 minutes ago, Howard said:

Sure wish you told the grass that it did not need to be cut, just mowed it yesterday!    I'm in Northern FL, we have "Real" trees that actually lose their leaves too :)  

Same here, but I swapped the leaves for fronz. It sounds like you are watering it too much. The winter dew is enough this time of year. In the summer, the occasional rain is enough, unless you go 5 days with a dry spell, then you want 30 minutes each zone (about an inch of water) is all it needs.  Unless the prior people didn’t properly train the roots to go deeper into the sand. 

21 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I'm going to need some more gas.

WT.PNG

Those automated forcast thingies are just parroting the latest model outputs...this storm track isn't nailed down yet.  That said, it's fair to say that north west NJ can see 8-16 or 1 inch of ice. heh.

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Bad parts.... 11" freaking snow. + high winds and general goodness of living in the mountains. 

You do know this is Winter, right?

Doesn't it snow every Winter? :8P:

Listening to the news, it appears some people have really short memories, if they don't remember what happened a year ago.

When I was a kid..................

Just now, Sniper said:

You do know this is Winter, right?

Doesn't it snow every Winter? :8P:

Listening to the news, it appears some people have really short memories, if they don't remember what happened a year ago.

When I was a kid..................

HAHA, it is not THE snow... but rather that it is MOAR. =P

No 11" in Florida. =P

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Hah, the "best guess" and "doomer" scenarios are the same for us... 11"

Good parts of living in America.... FREEDOM.

Bad parts.... 11" freaking snow. + high winds and general goodness of living in the mountains. 

The one thing I know about PA, most of the snow in the eastern part of the state is heavily dependent on elevation.   LV often gets a few inches, where a place like Mt Pocono or Tobyhanna gets clobbered.

Same thing where I live...my driveway is at 1250, so we have our own micro climate.

2 minutes ago, Malsua said:

The one thing I know about PA, most of the snow in the eastern part of the state is heavily dependent on elevation.   LV often gets a few inches, where a place like Mt Pocono or Tobyhanna gets clobbered.

Same thing where I live...my driveway is at 1250, so we have our own micro climate.

We are at around 800 ft here.  Not quite the poconos BUT certainly not the bottom of the valley. 

11 minutes ago, Maksim said:

HAHA, it is not THE snow... but rather that it is MOAR. =P

No 11" in Florida. =P

If we're going to have snow, I rather it be a big one, instead of this 2" - 3" crap. Go big or go home.

Now, regarding Florida... that is truly sounding better and better (for many reasons) than living in CrapHole NJ.

One of the regular posters at the weather forum I haunt had this suggestion.  He is an Emergency Manager for his local region.  Words of advice if you end up under the ice blast.

On a serious note, and I am speaking as an emergency manager right now. Anyone who is in the path of this ice storm, you must prepare. There is the possibility of over 1.5" of ice somewhere and any of you in the potential path of this must be ready. 

To do so I suggest 

Fill up you gas tanks. 

Be prepared to be without heat, hot water and electricity for up to two weeks

Fill up on bottles water and keep it some place interior and insulated so it does not freeze. 

If you lose heat.. Keep the water running to prevent frozen pipes (at least during the initial after freeze) 

If the house becomes too cold, use a vehicle for heat. Run it for ten to fifteen min and warm up. Then shut off for thirty min. Continue this cycle as necessary. Ensure you are not enclosed in your garage (Carbon Monoxide kills). 

Be prepared to not be able to travel for several days. 

Ensure you have an adequate supply of medication. 

Keep your cellular phone charged and use it sparingly when there is no electricity. You can use your vehicle to charge your phone. 

Have warm clothes handy. 

This is a potentially disastrous situation. Please remain vigilant, you and you alone are responsible for your safety. 

No joke. Read above and take note for your safety 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, JMich3 said:

I’m supposed to drive my daughter back to school on Rhode Island Sunday. I guess she is taking the train

Same here but mine is in Blacksburg VA!  Yea me.

Just now, Screwball said:

I don’t complain... but considering there is only a chance of snow thru sunrise, and the rest of the weekend looks like rain, I’m definitely ecstatic!

Rain is just so much easier to deal with over snow.

Except the issue will be the ice apparently.  Especially when it freezes Sunday night.

• Agree 1