Malsua

Saturday 19th Ice/Snow Storm

51 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Ha

I hope you have it all ready to go, your weekend looks very "interesting"!

Yup all ready. Now I'm hearing 12" tomorrow and 9" on Sunday. 

Best purchase ever was the snowblower attachment for my garden tractor! 

2 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Yup all ready. Now I'm hearing 12" tomorrow and 9" on Sunday. 

Best purchase ever was the snowblower attachment for my garden tractor! 

Which one?

Just changed the oil on my John Deere, after lunch and a few small things going to go drop the mower deck and put on the snowblower attachment

1 minute ago, Maksim said:

Which one?

Just changed the oil on my John Deere, after lunch and a few small things going to go drop the mower deck and put on the snowblower attachment

Cub cadet. With the weights and chains it will eat right through 18" of wet heavy snow and throw it across the driveway and into the wood line so there's no giant piles surrounding my driveway. Its truly worth its weight in gold up here! 

2 hours ago, EX Carnival man said:

I have a flight back to A.C. tomorrow from Florida. I keep checking and its still a go. 

If you're coming in before 5pm or so you should be fine.  It doesn't start to get nasty until later.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Maksim said:

So moving to rural America, there is no natural gas here.  Pretty much every house for heat is other using forced electric hot air or oil.  A few have pellet burning system.  Our house is all electric.... so first thing moving here... bought a generator.

wood stove

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Yup. I have a wood stove and a generator.

A backup for my backup.

Wish i could install one in jersey but not allowed due to nanny state rules.

1 hour ago, brucin said:

???

1 hour ago, brucin said:

wood stove

Actually we do have a propane fireplace that was never used.  No clue how to hook it up, need an outside tank for it too. 

2 hours ago, brucin said:

Huh?

Since when have wood stoves been not allowed?

40 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Actually we do have a propane fireplace that was never used.  No clue how to hook it up, need an outside tank for it too. 

Come on, the storm is coming, get it working. It can never hurt to have another type of back up.

I have 4 different ways to heat my house . My minimum for any scenario (heat, electric, cooking, water, etc.) is three.

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Huh?

Since when have wood stoves been not allowed?

Come on, the storm is coming, get it working. It can never hurt to have another type of back up.

I have 4 different ways to heat my house . My minimum for any scenario (heat, electric, cooking, water, etc.) is three.

May run out and pick up a tank tomorrow... 

Since my house has natural gas I'm tossing around the idea the conversion for my generator as now it's just gasoline and I have to fiil cans and keep them on standby. Is the conversion a pretty straight forward thing, and does converting mean it witll then only run on natural gas, or can it be set up to do both? I have a pretty new and basic Generac.

5 minutes ago, tjs3023 said:

Is the conversion a pretty straight forward thing, and does converting mean it witll then only run on natural gas, or can it be set up to do both? I have a pretty new and basic Generac.

Most newer generators can be converted with a tri-fuel kit for the carb, so you can run gas, propane or natural gas. If you're going to convert, that would be the best idea. Then set up a quick connect on your gas line like they make for barbecue grills so you can plug it in.

Like I mentioned above, mine runs on propane, so I don't have to have 5 gal cans of gas sitting around that need to be treated. I just keep extra propane tanks, which I use on my shop heater or grill.

10 hours ago, Maksim said:

???

I should have been clearer in my description of the rules. I have only 2 locations in my small home where a wood stove can go. on the exterior wall in one location is the power head for my electric service. The local or state fire code says the chimney can't be within 5 feet of the power head which would put the stove in the center of the room. Not very desirable. I asked if the only the top of the chimney could be 5 feet or more higher but the company said no they can't get that approved.

My second location the exterior wall has the chimney for my oil furnace. Same 5 foot rule resulting in the stove in the middle of the room.

I can see no logical reason for either of these regulations as long as the chimney is properly installed.

I was able to get approved for a pellet stove in the location by the power head and the company had to redesign the vent due to another regulation stating that the vent had to be at least 4 feet from a door or window. They had to put a 90 at the top with an 18 inch extension to get the end of the vent 49 inches from an existing door and window. The building inspector gave a hard time with this design until I threatened legal action as it satisfied the not less than 48 inches rule and he grudgingly approved it.

Hence my nanny state rule comment.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Most newer generators can be converted with a tri-fuel kit for the carb, so you can run gas, propane or natural gas. If you're going to convert, that would be the best idea. Then set up a quick connect on your gas line like they make for barbecue grills so you can plug it in.

Like I mentioned above, mine runs on propane, so I don't have to have 5 gal cans of gas sitting around that need to be treated. I just keep extra propane tanks, which I use on my shop heater or grill.

Thanks. Going to have to do some googling and try Generacs' website. Maybe they make their own kit. I want to make sure I do this with quality parts if I do it. Got burned buying what were advertised as actual Briggs & Stratton parts (on fleabay) to rebuild the carb on my push blower and they turned out to be cheap junk that went in the garbage. My leaf blower not working when I need it is an inconvienence, my genny not working when I need it for my family is bad. If anyone can link a site that they've actually used the parts from and are proven to work then tia :D.

8 minutes ago, tjs3023 said:

Thanks. Going to have to do some googling and try Generacs' website. Maybe they make their own kit. I want to make sure I do this with quality parts if I do it. Got burned buying what were advertised as actual Briggs & Stratton parts (on fleabay) to rebuild the carb on my push blower and they turned out to be cheap junk that went in the garbage. My leaf blower not working when I need it is an inconvienence, my genny not working when I need it for my family is bad. If anyone can link a site that they've actually used the parts from and are proven to work then tia :D.

Go to us carbs site: http://www.uscarb.com/

Find your model generator and the kit for it. If you can't find it on their site, contact them.

Very easy to install. They also run sales all the time

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brisco said:

Go to us carbs site: http://www.uscarb.com/

Find your model generator and the kit for it. If you can't find it on their site, contact them.

Very easy to install. They also run sales all the time

Thanks. Just sent them a message as of course my model isn't listed :angry:

48 minutes ago, sota said:

This "storm" is bullshit.

I f'in need plowing money to go buy guns from steve.

Started snowing up my way, but you're right about the mixing line so it's just going to be a sloppy wet mess there.   It's not going to be much better up my way, we'll probably get ice.

6 hours ago, brucin said:

I should have been clearer in my description of the rules. I have only 2 locations in my small home where a wood stove can go. on the exterior wall in one location is the power head for my electric service. The local or state fire code says the chimney can't be within 5 feet of the power head which would put the stove in the center of the room. Not very desirable. I asked if the only the top of the chimney could be 5 feet or more higher but the company said no they can't get that approved.

My second location the exterior wall has the chimney for my oil furnace. Same 5 foot rule resulting in the stove in the middle of the room.

I can see no logical reason for either of these regulations as long as the chimney is properly installed.

I was able to get approved for a pellet stove in the location by the power head and the company had to redesign the vent due to another regulation stating that the vent had to be at least 4 feet from a door or window. They had to put a 90 at the top with an 18 inch extension to get the end of the vent 49 inches from an existing door and window. The building inspector gave a hard time with this design until I threatened legal action as it satisfied the not less than 48 inches rule and he grudgingly approved it.

Hence my nanny state rule comment.

Fug permits. I installed mine myself but Its not my first time and I lined and insulated my chimney so up to code. 

10 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

The lehigh valley forecast has "wintery  mix" tonight into tomorrow, with rain and a high of 45 Sunday.  Monday will apparently be sunny with a high of 16.

16° sounds like a heat wave to me. The high for me on Monday is 3°. Lol

23 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

The lehigh valley forecast has "wintery  mix" tonight into tomorrow, with rain and a high of 45 Sunday.  Monday will apparently be sunny with a high of 16.

Neighbor?

11 minutes ago, fishnut said:

16° sounds like a heat wave to me. The high for me on Monday is 3°. Lol

It's all about the windchill yo!  And Duh, that is what happens when you live in Canada!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Maksim said:

It's all about the windchill yo!  And Duh, that is what happens when you live in Canada!

Yup, I love the cold but not the cold and wind. Went cross country skiing the other morning. Temps were -6° but it was sunny and no wind. I had a great time. 

Canada? Nope not me, although I do like strong beer and maple syrup. I'm close (about 150 miles) but definitely not in Canada. I do have to deal with canadians at the hotel I work at on a daily basis and I have to say that canadians are usually pretty cool but the French canadians are 95% assholes. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Yup, I love the cold but not the cold and wind. Went cross country skiing the other morning. Temps were -6° but it was sunny and no wind. I had a great time. 

Canada? Nope not me, although I do like strong beer and maple syrup. I'm close (about 150 miles) but definitely not in Canada. I do have to deal with canadians at the hotel I work at on a daily basis and I have to say that canadians are usually pretty cool but the French canadians are 95% assholes. 

aholes?  Yep... unless you speak French.

Whenever I go to Canada, far prefer Quebec and Montreal to Toronto.

Not sure where you are in NH, but we have friends in Dover and Manchester, and visit quite often but when you go further north it is just dreary...   Going up to the white mountains and Loon is a whole different world. 

10 minutes ago, Maksim said:

aholes?  Yep... unless you speak French.

Whenever I go to Canada, far prefer Quebec and Montreal to Toronto.

Not sure where you are in NH, but we have friends in Dover and Manchester, and visit quite often but when you go further north it is just dreary...   Going up to the white mountains and Loon is a whole different world. 

Bartlett is the town I live in, the town is literally surrounded by white mountain national forest and less than 20 miles from Mt.Washington. The boundary line for WMNF is a few hundred yards from my house. Loon is about 1hr away. 

Its dreary here in the winter of you dont like the snow but it's a winter wonderland if you do like the snow. I can snowboard, snowmobile, and cross country ski all right from my property. Along with fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, ect during the warmer months.  I love the snow so its the perfect place for me. I'm home sick with the stomach flu and I'm still excited about all the snow I'm getting!