Malsua

Saturday 19th Ice/Snow Storm

My brother used to live in Holderness. The Whites are a wonderful area.  Once when I visited we went snowboarding, did a winter ascent of Mt Washington, made it down in time for the Pats playoff game at a brewpub somewhere near Conway.. was a blast!  He’s now back at Acadia which is just as nice. 

Near Bridgewater, seems like just rain.  MAYBE a little sleet.  Completely absurd that the entire State was placed under a state of emergency with travel restrictions at noon today (10.5 hours ago).  It didnt' even start drizzling here until after 6:30pm.  

All the brining of the roads they did is being washed away

2 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Near Bridgewater, seems like just rain.  MAYBE a little sleet.  Completely absurd that the entire State was placed under a state of emergency with travel restrictions at noon today (10.5 hours ago).  It didnt' even start drizzling here until after 6:30pm.  

All the brining of the roads they did is being washed away

And likely 10 miles west towards Phillipsburgh it is snow. =) Although I think it just turned to rain here too. 

But... eh, I don't think it was the wrong call.  Could have shifted either way and doomed if you do, doomed if you don't scenario. 

2 1/2" in Morris County, but it has now turned to rain.   We're due to get a lot of precipitation overnight, but with temperatures rising until the rain tapers off mid-day tomorrow.  By the time the temperature starts to plunge late Sunday into Monday, the precipitation will have stopped.   There will be slick surfaces and some flooding, I'd imagine, but there shouldn't be any ice build-up on lines and trees, so I don't expect many power outages originating around here due to ice on lines and trees, which is good news.  A lot of wind in the forecast for Monday, though, which will still cause some problems.

29 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Some storm. Bucktooth Phil and his crack team of geniuses can't do anything right.

7f105cc27200ae36a6dc86f6bcbf82bf21b4ea84

The national weather service was calling for 5 inches in my area with a layer of wet, frozen bs.   We got about 4 inches and a layer of wet, frozen bs.  If you were much south of me, it was mostly rain though.

10 hours ago, voyager9 said:

My brother used to live in Holderness. The Whites are a wonderful area.  Once when I visited we went snowboarding, did a winter ascent of Mt Washington, made it down in time for the Pats playoff game at a brewpub somewhere near Conway.. was a blast!  He’s now back at Acadia which is just as nice. 

That's my neck of the woods, I'm planning on snowboarding Mt. Washington when my buddy comes up from NJ. Not something I think I should do alone. I have an avalanche training class in a few weeks. I've heard acadia is nice, were going for a week in September. 

Got 12" here so far and it's still going strong!

18 minutes ago, fishnut said:

That's my neck of the woods, I'm planning on snowboarding Mt. Washington when my buddy comes up from NJ. Not something I think I should do alone. I have an avalanche training class in a few weeks. I've heard acadia is nice, were going for a week in September. 

Got 12" here so far and it's still going strong!

Acadia is great.  Spent 20 years there.  I’d move back in a heartbeat if they had jobs in my field there. 

Wow, check this out. In the 50's all across the county in the middle of January. Must be Global Warming, right @Greenday?

Oh, wait... it's going to be in the single digits tonight.

World meltdown cancelled from excess CO2.

temps.jpg

Latest from Governor Control Freak, " ““My big plea is for folks to stay in, to put their feet up,” Murphy said on News 12 New Jersey on Sunday morning. “Sit tight, let this play out. Don’t get fooled.”  And yes, "A state of emergency remains in effect"

This guy is a joke.  He is litterally pleading with people to stay inside.  Why?  Because it's raining?  Who the hell elected this idiot?  He gets the public all worked up for nothing.  I don't recall Christie ever doing anything like this.  Except for when he told people to "Get the hell off the beach" when a major hurricane was headed our way.  

It's like thi nincompook doesn't think people know how to to act if we get 4-5 inches of snow.  News flash, NJ residents have lived through lifetimes of major storms.  We don't need the head of the government acting like it's a major catastorphe when it snows, actually when it's just predicted to snow, a little bit.  

https://www.nj.com/weather/2019/01/gov-murphy-warns-nj-residents-to-stay-off-icy-roads-sit-tight-dont-get-fooled.html

• Like 1

I'd love to see the actual numbers on how much Money $$$ Murphy has spent on the NON snow this year 

I'm in middlesex borough -- a mile or 2 from the northern most part of middlesex county -- not a drop of snow, started with 5 minutes of frozen rain then rain throughout --  It's 39* now at 12:36pm and not raining 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

I'd love to see the actual numbers on how much Money $$$ Murphy has spent on the NON snow this year 

I'm in middlesex borough -- a mile or 2 from the northern most part of middlesex county -- not a drop of snow, started with 5 minutes of frozen rain then rain throughout --  It's 39* now at 12:36pm and not raining 

He( the gubna) claim’s it’s $0.17 per mile to brine. I’m reading it’s more in the ballpark $8 per mile. A tremendous disparity in numbers 

Yeah we got 4" and a nice layer of wipe out. My dog cut his foot on the ice pooping this morning, poor guy. 

The driveway was freezing over by the time I finished blowing and shoveling it. An entire bag of salt got it to black top, but it looks slick right now. 

Oh yeah, and silly me, I forgot to reinstall the inlet box for the generator after redoing the deck this summer.... That wasn't fun... We lost power for a couple mins and it dawned on me when I got everything prepped...  Better to figure that out now, temps are still manageable at 23f , but damn its getting windy.